Pirate-themed games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Owain Taggart, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I just bought Sid Meier's Pirates on Steam through the Halloween Sale.

I have to admit, I'm pretty keen on Pirate games. I was first made aware of Sid Meier's Pirates when my childhood friend first showed it to me on his Commodore 64 and I've always been drawn back to this one. There's a certain charm about it and it's so darn addictive!

I've played a number of pirate themed MMOs, and one game in particular with the same overhead view made me wonder why we haven't seen a version of Sid Meier's game done as an MMO. The game's already got half the makings of what make MMOs great; different factions and an ongoing war. I've even played and liked Pirates of the Burning Seas and managed to get pretty far into that game before a problem with my account arose.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm, good pirate games, huh? Let's see here.

Sid Meier's Pirates
    Monkey Island
    Monkey Island 2
    uh, Monkey Island 3
    Never play Monkey Island 4
    Tales of Monkey Island is okay.

Well, Enjoy!

3. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assassin's Creed 4 just came out this week (for consoles at least) and it's been getting good reviews.

Risen 2 is pirate-themed, though I've never played it.

And hells to the yes for the Monkey Island games. Great (and hilarious) series!

4. Owain Taggart

Oh yeah, been meaning to check out Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. It looks pretty sweet. I hear Risen 2 isn't too great.

5. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Firaxis Games seems pretty content in its turn-based strategy niche and operating an MMO is a lot of work that they might not want or might not think will be profitable. I wouldn't mind seeing a Pirates! 2 though.

6. Owain Taggart

True enough, but then they do put out games like updates to Sid Meier's Pirates which aren't turn-based. They might be able to farm it out.

7. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Sid Meier's Pirates.. oh my god.

One of the best all time games and i don't regret the countless hours spent with it.

Sid Meier is a synonym for "Fuck.. it's getting bright out there again!" :lol::lol:

8. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

There's also an older game called Sea Dogs, which is a bit like Sid Meier's Pirates.

9. Kelthaz

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge for the original Xbox is also pretty good. If sky pirates count for you.

10. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a Playstation 2 game called 'Pirates:The Legend of Black Kat' that was fairly good but I haven't played it for several years.

12. Kelthaz

Zack and Wiki is an awesome point and click adventure game for the Wii by Capcom. It has that Monkey Island feel to it. It's a real hidden gem and dirt cheap these days.

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Age of Sail II: Privateer's Bounty is a pretty decent pirate game, focused on naval combat. Think of it as a more hardcore version of the naval combat in Sid Meier's Pirates!