Novels based on the movie cast.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by surak-toc, May 5, 2013.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

No, Kirk did say that he had lost one crewman since taking command, but he had not lost the multiple number that Pike was referring to.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^He said "not one" had been lost.

3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Kirk has already lost crewmembers in the IDW series, e.g. in the Mitchell issue.

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

No, he said aside from one being lost.

5. cdgodin

cdgodin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

OR, he means that he lost multiple crewman, not JUST one. ;)

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If these novels are now worthless to Pocket as tie-ins due to unavoidable contradictions with Star Trek Into Darkness, one could argue that, should they somehow appear online one day, it would be no harm done. *wishful thinking*

Unless they could be salvaged in part (say, a new alien species concept) for a new Trek or original novel that can be published one day.

7. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

I like the idea of that, would be worth it since the scrapped ones I assume were already written

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've been thinking about whether I could rework SaNW in that way, but the problem is that I intentionally designed it to be a story that could only happen in the Abramsverse, that grew out of the specific events and characterizations of the '09 movie. I didn't want it to be just a TOS story with the trappings adjusted. So if I tried to transpose the events to TOS or something, then not only would a great deal have to be changed, but a lot of the thematic meaning and character impact would be lost. Maybe eventually I'll figure out a way to salvage aspects of it, but it wouldn't be easy.

The thing to keep in mind is that all writers have done plenty of stories that never got published. It's just part of the job. The only thing unusual about it in this case is that they were stories we were solicited to write in advance -- although from our perspective that's a good thing, since it means we got paid for our unpublished work! :D And yes, we often do find ways to recycle parts of our unsold works into later tales -- heck, I've done so with Orion's Hounds and Over a Torrent Sea, and probably a few other things. But for most writers, it's a given that not everything we write will see the light of day. It's generally more important to focus on the next project than dwell on an old one.

9. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ To echo Christopher's remarks, I wrote More Beautiful Than Death to work specifically as a follow-up to the events of the 2009 film version of Star Trek. Without that specific continuity, the story won't work, which means there is effectively no way to transpose it into a classic TOS setting.

10. F. King Daniel

Thanks for the info, guys. Very much appreciated.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Perhaps a future "Myriad Universes" volume? ;)

12. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

Well, this is a bittersweet visit. I was eventually going to ask very specifically about the points that Christopher and David have already addressed. I'm glad to know this, so that I can adjust my expectations. I'm still very sad to hear about it. The contradictions wouldn't have put me off, BTW, whether they were released before or after STiD. I'm the sort of person who chased down The Final Reflection and Diane Duane's Romulan books because they offer an alternative look into Star Trek's universe, so even though these books would have been an alternative version of what is already an alternative timeline, I wouldn't have found it confusing, just interesting variations that are fun to experience. I was going to buy all of them back then, and I still would buy them today. It's kind of a shame, given that I would have bought them, and I ultimately didn't end up buying any of the books that were printed instead...I think the only brand new ST book I bought was the second DTI book Christopher wrote.

I'll still be interested in buying new books they decide to commision for the JJ Abrams continuity, but I'm not going to get excited about any announcements, or cover art, until I see the #$%!g things actually sitting on the bookshelf of my local bookstore.

And yeah, what Therin of Andor is saying sums it up; the Myriad Universes volumes justifies publishing those books anyway. I've not bought any of the other Myriad Universe books, but one that shows a version of JJ Abram's ST continuity is one I would happily buy.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  13. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For what it's worth, it's hardly unprecedented for the way brand Management works.
    For example, in 1996, the BBC withdrew most of the back catalogue of Doctor Who VHS releases (including one that had only been available for three weeks) to avoid brand confusion with the new, shiny, high-production value TV movie. And more recently, the brand managers responsible for last year's Doctor Who Experience initially didn't want to feature anything that predated the current Doctor (yes, the current Doctor, not the 2005 restart of the series which might just have been understandable), as he was the current brand.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

A friend and I were once given "kind permission" by DC Comics to run a "Batman" fan club and quarterly newsletter to celebrate the 1989 Warner Bros.' reboot. No license required, but some standards were expected.

We were allowed to discuss any aspect of "Batman" comics, TV series, cartoons or movies in our newsletter, but the only criticism of our first issue was that we'd used headings like "Bat News", "Bat Bookshelf" and "Kapow!". DC Comics and Warners were making a conscious effort to distance the 1989 film from the Adam West TV series.

Similarly, I'd turned up to a free sneak preview of the movie, hosted by a local comic shop. I wore my Robin outfit. As you do. A few days later, while negotiating a batch of free double passes to the gala premiere for our membership, the publicist mentioned that "someone" had turned up to the preview as Robin! ( :o ) Our tickets were on the proviso that there be no costumed characters in our group at all.

15. F. King Daniel

I wonder about a 4-for-the-price-of-one ebook with a disclaimer at the start about continuity. That would be pretty cool.

16. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

i second that...

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd read that.