Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Apparently not. He did a Twilight Zone back in the '60s, but that's about it, except for voicing a horse in a 2006 Charlotte's Web adaptation.

2. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

There's an article with speculations over at IGN. One of the ideas I like is that he plays someone who replaced Steve Rogers as Captain America after Rogers was lost.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, DC films started that kind of casting decades ago. Marvel films are simply following that well established business model.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Not only has Temis pointed out the biggest flaw in this, do both senior and junior really have eye patches?

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

While I don't think that is the avenue that Marvel would be likely to pursue, there is a twelve year age difference between Robert Redford and Sam Jackson... so perhaps the right application of make-up could make Redford look plausibly old enough to be a Nick Fury Sr.

And, yes, both Nick Fury Sr. and Nick Fury Jr. (who lived most of his life as Marcus Johnson before finding out who his father was) have eye patches. Junior's patch covers his right eye, just as the case with Senior.

Nick Fury Sr.
    Nick Fury Jr.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that, too! :bolian:

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw this same speculation at another site that was doing a run down of candidates.

I like it. It also serves as foreshadowing for another possible replacement Captain America that ties in with the sub-title of this film.

Avengers 2...watch your back Steve.

8. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the same gap as between Sean Connery and Harrison Ford. Plus Jackson looks really good for his age.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Psycho, racist, hero worshiping Cap of the 50s or blink and you'll miss him Cap from the late 40s?

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I cannot really see them going with that Nick Fury Jr. idea simply because it is a shit idea even leaving aside the very dodgy racial politics that would underpin such a move.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The biggest problem: the idea is just plain stupid.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The whole "Nick Fury, Jr." thing in the recent comics is, of course, an excuse to bring the comics more in line with the far more famous and widely known movie version of Fury (since comics are read by tens of thousands at most while hit movies are seen by tens of millions at least). So it doesn't make much sense to expect the movies to imitate the comics' imitation of the movies. It's kind of getting the causality backward.

And yeah, it's a contrived idea, but I can understand the comics' reasons for doing it. Heck, I've gotten so used to the modern image of Fury that seeing him as a white guy seems strange to me now. The comics are following the lead of the more popular medium it inspired, just as Superman adopted the Daily Planet, Jimmy Olsen, and kryptonite from the radio show, Batman adopted Harley Quinn from the animated series, and so forth. (Though some such attempts have less staying power, like Wonder Woman's abortive return to a WWII setting in response to the first season of the '70s TV series, or the comics Spider-Man's acquisition of movie-style organic webshooters which were virtually never used or mentioned again after the storyline in which they were introduced.)

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

14. Turtletrekker

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Turtletrekker

Redford says that he plays the "Head of S.H.I.E.L.D."?

Intersting. Fury certainly didn't seem to answer to anyone other than the Council in Avengers. Perhaps a former director, one with experience with the Winter Soldier? Or maybe he'll wear an eye-patch and SLJ will be his son. ;)

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

If they were to do the Nick Fury Sr./Nick Fury Jr. thing, I wonder if they'll modify it slightly to make it more of a codename rather than a biological relationship.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering if he was going to be a new member of the Council from Avengers.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

First official image and synopsis

[​IMG]

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Squee! :D

For some reason I'm more excited about this movie than I am any of the other Phase Two films (not including The Avengers 2, of course).