The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

What do you mean untouched? They broke it up and shortened it's run time. It was noticeable. I lived for hearing that whole theme back in the day.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I agree. It's a shame that it's been shortened, but at least the theme itself is the same, or at least similar enough to be virtually indistinguishable from the original. And from what I remember, it's been shortened or lengthened in the past anyway, so this is nothing new.

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The only major difference was the absence of the cast photos during the opening.

4. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the missed opportunities...When Chris told John Ross "I know it was you." They were right next to the pool. I sooo wanted him to just grab his ass and toss him in like they used to do to each other back in the day. They do need to tone down the metrosexual whining a bit. It's the 21st century and they are young, so I expect some of it, but it's also Texas - so man them up and let them have an occasional knock-down drag-out or toss them in the pool moment. in other words, cut the crap. Like JR says, look a man in the eye, don't call and text before you do a deal.

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

They had their one good knock down drag out at the oil derrick, and an old man with stomach cancer managed to break them up, which I think illustrates the point.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

'Dallas' premiere strikes it rich for TNT

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a newbie to the Dallas franchise I enjoyed it. I found the stuff with the new cast just as interesting as the stuff with the original characters. I was kinda surprised by just how much the original actors were in this. I figured they'd have a couple of token scenes here and there, but they actually seem to be just as much of a focus as the kids. I'll admit other than Revenge I'd never really been into this kind of soapy stuff, but I really enjoyed these two, and might check out more of these kinds of shows.
    As for the email, I didn't think of the theory that seems to be the dominant one here, but it seems pretty likely to me.

8. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess I think a little "old school" here. The original Dallas writers didn't always go for the obvious. Yeah, the email could be from Chris' wife - but, knowing they want to bring back Pam, my bet is still on it being Pam. If it was up to me, that would be the old school type of twist at the end of the first ten episodes to lead to the next season - but I'm flexible.

I am definitely sticking to Cliff Barnes hiding in the background,probably playing JR, John Ross, and maybe even Bobby to get a piece of Southfork. Jock's well was where it all started between Digger and Jock and led to the feud being the Ewing and Ross families. He's running Ewing Oil now, so it's only natural he'd be scheming to get a piece of Southfork. To him, that would be like winning all the marbles.

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen all of the second episode yet, but eh, not sure I'll make it all the way through the ten episodes. I distinctly remember the original Dallas being both soapy, yet also non-sucky. I expected the remake to be more on par with that.

This version is so damn obvious about everything. There's no subtlety to the writing or for the most part, the acting. Even the old timers are off their game. What happened to Patrick Duffy? He's almost as wooden as the younguns. Maybe he hasn't been getting acting gigs and is badly out of practice. Larry Hagman is the only one who's solid. The rest are variations on painful to watch.

What I really can't stand is writing where a character is made to look bad simply for the sake of a plot twist. That's what they did to Elena by having her be so stupid that she doesn't realize an e-mail can easily be faked, and so weak-willed that she can't pick up a damn phone to find out what the fuck Christopher is thinking.

Even if the e-mail were legit, she should have screamed her head off at him. I can't respect any woman who is such a doormat, she won't even do that much. But they couldn't have her do that, because then they wouldn't have their soapy bullshit love triangle. Yet she seems strong-willed about her career, so this doesn't even make coherent sense for the character. Bleh.

10. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the only one coming to mind that worked--and even then to mixed results--was BSG--every other remake of a show I loved I checked out sucked and was nowhere as good as the original--Melrose Place, Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, 90210, V, Charlies Angels etc. Even films--Karate Kid, Footloose, Nightmare on Elm Street etc. I have not seen one successfully pulled off--they are so horribly written and given such horrible modern sensibilities that it sucks. I understand why Hollywood does it--the 80s/90s were fun and entertaining and nothing in the last decade can muster that enthusiasm and Hollywood would love nothing but to recapture that kind of loyalty and fandom but you can't go back.

The original DALLAS was thoroughly entertaining with a cast of great characters--Pam, Sue Ellen, Clayton, Jock, Miss Ellie, Donna, Ray, Cliff, Bobby, JR--who was a character you loved to hate unlike John Ross who I just hate like most young actors these days.

11. Temis the Vorta

The BSG approach may be the only way to do "remakes" - basically, use the brand name to get the project greenlit - by giving the suits an ass-saving out in case of failure - then ignore it. That way you aren't caught in the trap of trying to live up to a beloved original. Just do your own thing (bonus points if the original sucked to begin with.)

In that light, Mockingbird Lane (The Munsters "remake") could be a success, because the casting suggests they don't give a flying frak about the original.

12. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked all that too. And I loved Linda Grey. I hope they make her as evil as ever. Maybe even her and JR could get back together :lol:

I enjoyed seeing Jon Ross as kinda down on his luck as well.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

When Brenda strong was chasing away the burglar and said 'I never miss at any distance" who was thinking of the desperate House wives pilot where "her character" put a pistol to her temple and blew her pretty little brains out?

"chuckle."

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I bet her character from Starship Troopers didn't miss at any distance...

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I've watched the first episode, will catch the repeat of the second one this weekend. I've never seen the original series as it was before my time but I remember my mom watching it. Got to say, I quite enjoyed it and J.R. is just a Magnificent Bastard, isn't he? :lol:

Also loved the use of the opening credits sequence/theme as it's very much like I remember the original one being.

I did love how J.R. was "playing possum" so-to-speak in the hospital and clapped when it turned out he was behind the purchase of his family's estate. I may have never really seen the series but have been exposed to the popular culture of it enough to know J.R. is a perfect bastard.

16. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm gonna give it a try. I'm delighted to see that they didn't make Texas out to be great big old caricature like GCB did.

My biggest beef is the same with the original. Didn't feel too much like it was set in Texas. Could've been anywhere. Course, if you spend most of the time filming in sound stages in LA, it really won't.

But God, it's good to see JR and his eyebrows again. :lol:

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

There's a touch of stuff in it that made me laugh a go, "Ohhh, Texas!" Like in a scene where someone is told by the police to next time just shoot her home invaders. :lol:

18. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Okay, I'll give you that one. I think those guys were ranch security.

When the cops came by to kick John Ross off of South Fork, I was racking my brains to remember what county they were in and what their uniforms were supposed to look like. :alienblush:

CD,
    Unrepentant fangirl and Texan

ETA: And when I watched that scene, I was yelling "I could take THAT shot!" at the screen. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I think his eyebrows have grown their own eyebrows :guffaw:

20. Temis the Vorta

Watched the rest of the 2nd ep, hey it got better. But add Linda Grey to the "can't act any more" column with Patrick Duffy. Both of them seem very out of practice.

The way she's playing Sue Ellen is way too spacey, bug-eyed and drugged out for her to be a convincing gubernatorial candidate, even in Texas. I dimly recall Sue Ellen always being like that, but if she's become a force in politics, she had to have modified her behavior to fit her new career just to avoid scaring potential backers, nevermind voters. Yet another element that doesn't add up.

From what I can tell, it looks like they're shooting in Texas this time. The flat plains/green grass/oak trees combo doesn't look very Californian to me.

As for the scene with Ann, I wondered if she'd shot the guy in the back while fleeing, would that be okay by Texas law? Sure looked like she was thinking about it.