7.2 Box Set Already Available In America

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, May 12, 2013.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

All it take is for just one to put it out there for just an hour or so before before it gets picked by others who will re-seed the torrent under there respective torrent entities.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It does but you (as an individual) don't know how many other copies were sent out - so if they say are one of a handful, you might not risk it.

3. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's more likely that the copies that went out will simply have been received by people who have no knowledge of/interest in DVD ripping and torrenting. No one who actually has legal authority is going to care enough even to threaten legal action over something like this. If they put the Gallifrey Base admins in charge, maybe...

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I predict it will be online before Saturday, just a matter of when. Again it only takes one person to do it and you can't speak for the good nature of them all. LOL

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

You can speak for the bad nature- "Nyahahaha, I've got it/seen it and I'm not going to share it with *you*"

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Put Gallifrey Base admins in charge and half the fandom would be in shackles for even talking about the leak.

Do we even know that there is a real leak?

It'd be a waste of time and money on their part, not to mention all but guaranteeing that a copy of the DVD made it into the wild.

7. JoeZhang

One of the guys who claims to have it seems to have a long-standing history in Doctor Who fandom and he's posted video of him with the box - can't see how it would be faked.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

9. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Leak isn't really the right word. Colossal cock-up perhaps?

Given that the copy we know about came from the BBC America shop, it would be pretty easy for them to verify if any had been shipped out.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Or deliberate "blunder".

11. StCoop

To what possible end? To piss off fans, generate negative publicity and drive the ratings down even further?

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I might be cynical, but it's an awful lot of publicity - what if it's just a ruse and no copies were actually sent out ? A couple of photo's with a known fan who is in on it and there you go...

13. StCoop

To what possible end? To piss off fans, generate negative publicity and drive the ratings down even further?

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Plus BBC isn't legally allowed to play games like this and tell lies. Which means it would be down to BBC America playing the con, and I can't imagine any circumstance where they would think a con like this would be beneficial

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well it's got people talking about the finale, for one. It's probably bumped up orders for the DVD sets, do to people thinking they're going to get it early. I can see some marketing manager coming up with this. And the BBC proper would end up with plausible deniability: "We didn't do it, some packer in the American warehouse fucked up...heads will roll!"

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  16. JoeZhang

I think people need to cut back on the meth.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm fairly confident this is legitimate fuck-up and not some convoluted ploy to generate hype/ratings. Fuck-ups happen, and are a reality of life. This sort of ploy would take quite a bit of planning, more than BBC or Moffat would consider necessary when they can just do their usual promos/interviews/clips/pictures and get fandom's blood pumping.

The lesson learned here is in the future to avoid this sort of thing happening again, don't release the DVD set so close to the finale's airdate.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

It's a safe bet that is all that it is. But I tend to never rule out someone doing something stupid thinking it's a good marketing ideal.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Silence will fall

The guy that revealed he had his set released early has been directly contacted by the BBC

20. JoeZhang

I would have asked for some swag to keep quiet.