Instead of Smallville...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joe Washington, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What if they made a show on the Luthor family that explores the rise of Lex Luthor:evil:? Maybe Lana can be a part of the show as the woman destined to be the future Mrs. Luthor:devil:.

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Um...no. No Lana & Lex. :ack: I wouldn't watch.

[edit] I'd watch a Luthor show with Cassidy Freeman as LuTESSa Luthor & Lana. :evil:

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

How about making a TV series with one of the 150,000 different super heroes besides (the boring) Superman?

4. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What if Cassidy Freeman was playing a less dooey version of Lana?

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think your idea would need a new cast all characters...I just think go in the direction of a corporate drama with some comic book elements mixed in. I just don't like Lex & Lana together at all no matter who plays them.

After last night I can see a Blue Beetle show working with Booster gold. :techman:

6. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Boring"? Hmmmph. Hmmph, I say.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That sounds like a ratings failure.:rommie:

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what Smallville was about.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lex is a good villain, but I don't know I'd be interested in him enough to watch a show focused on him.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think Smallville pretty much covered that. Maybe not the way I would have but they did do it.

11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

That'd be great if Superman wasen't the greatest superhero ever and was boring, but he is and he's not.:p

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, supposedly there's a RAVEN series in development . . . .

13. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Y'know I've been having this "Superman is boring" conversation with my young nephews and my son (ages 12-15)

Just because the character of Superman actually has character and won't kill, maim, humiliate, stomp on and destroy villains.

We got into this discussion about how Wolverine is cool with his "knife hands" and will "kill you, man".

Of course I didn't bring up how Supes could use heat vision and melt Wolvie "knives" then toss him into the sun if he were so inclined to... but

Why are kids so bloodthirsty nowadays! When I was a kid (in the seventies) most everyone wanted to don a towel around their necks and pretend to be Superman.

I guess times change...not always for the better though!

BTW..Smallville has been a fun show for TEN YEARS! Cut it some slack, jeez! You haters will get your wish in just a couple of weeks and it will all be over!

For my list:

Live Action
    1. The Adventures of Superman (got all the dvds)
    2. Smallville
    3. Batman (got all the pirated dvd's)
    4. Wonder Woman (oooohh Lynda Carter and my puberty!)
    5. The Flash (John Wesley Shipp was cool!)
    6. The Tick (HI-Larious!!)

Animation
    1. Batman TAS (Mark Hamil and Kevin Conroy! Nuff Said)
    2. Justice League\JLU (Awesome Stuff! Beginning to end!)
    3. Superman TAS (This was just so well done)
    4. Batman Beyond (well it was kinda based on a comic book)
    5. X-Men (very faithful adaptation of comics!)
    6. The Tick (HI-Larious!)
    Marvel has been owning the films lately BUT DC has the animated films down! (Own all those dvd's too!)

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm so pissed that The WB.com went and pulled The Flash show. About a month ago I started the pilot and only got so far as the accident that gave him his powers before I had to quit, for some reason I can't rememeber. I finally remembered to go back to it a couple weeks ago and the damn thing was gone.

I have to admit, I'm kinda shocked at the amount Smallville hate around here, I thought most people liked it.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

They do have it on DVD. Netflix it!

You think this is bad? Go check out a Smallville watch and discuss thread. The Smallville fans really hate it in there.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I added the DVDs to my netflix queue last night.

17. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I think they need to follow up Smallville with a JLA show. Perhaps having Alison Mack reprise her role as Chloe. And have her lead up a new generation of Superheroes in Star City. You could have appearances from the other JLA members from time to time and of course maybe a Special Appearance once per season from Clark Kent/Superman.

More than anything though the show would be about new recruits/members of the JLA, headed up by Chloe Sullivan and how they become Heroes within the Smallville World.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would watch that. I could see it working as almost a live action Young Justice, with the JLA members from the showing popping up as mentors for the young heroes from time to time.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know about watching another series that follows the "Smallville formula". A "Blue Beetle" series intrigues me but not if it follows the same formula and structure. "Smallville" I think has proven that simply does not work and only frustrates your fan base.

I'm surprised that no one has suggested a "Batman" series which ultimately what "Smallville" originally was going to be. The WB is silly to still impose the "Bat embargo" when we've had two successful movies and a highly anticipated third film coming up. I think a "Young Bruce Wayne" series would work.

As for Joe's suggestion regarding a "Lex Luthor" series, yeah I don't think that would work. "Smallville" pretty much was that for the first two or three seasons.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Er, Smallvile has run for ten seasons and is the longest-running superhero tv series in history.

How does that prove that its approach "simply does not work"?

Clearly, it worked better than anyone ever anticipated! Most tv producers would kill to have a series that ran for ten whole years.

If that's "not working," then more shows need to frustrate their fan base! :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011