Were the first two seasons a waste?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by IntrepidMan, Mar 30, 2012.

1. IntrepidMan

IntrepidMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seems to me that a lot fans don't think DS9 became a really good show until season 3, with the introduction of the Defiant, and season 4, when the "war arch" began in earnest (first with the Klingons, then the Dominion). A lot of people have commented on the "TNG-style" of the first two seasons, with a lot of stand-alone episodes that don't seem to have any over-riding point or story to tell and that aren't all that good. When people make lists of the worst DS9 episodes, I've noticed that a lot of the episodes come from the first two seasons.

So were these seasons a total waste? Do they matter at all--that is, does anything important or interesting really happen in them? Or are fans better off just watching (and re-watching!) the series from season 3 on?

And on a related note, why did the series change? Whose decision was it to add the Defiant, add Worf, bring back the Klingons as adversaries and later introduce the Dominion War arch? Did it have anything to do with the end of TNG--thereby freeing up writers and producers to work on the new series? Who were the people that made the show was it is today--generally considered the best Star Trek spin-off?

These are a lot of questions I've had on my mind lately. No doubt this topic has been discussed before!

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Second season is my third favorite season of the entire series so no I don't think it was a waste. As for Season 1, it was a decent start with the final two episodes really taking the series off.

3. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Arc not arch.

And I think the first two seasons are definitely worthwhile, even though they aren't directly part of the overall story in the manner that begins in season 3.

Seasons 1 and 2 have some very good stories.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Season 1 and 2 had most of the Bajoran episodes, where we got to know Bajor, and their Politics and Religion. I personally like this aspect of the Series very much. Sure, there are some weak episodes, but, I am very glad we got to know Bajor very well, and I believe most of those who actively dislike S1 and S2 are the ones who don't like the Bajoran Politics and Religion episodes. I don't think there are more than 5 or 6 episodes (if that many) that I would even consider removing from the tapestry in S1 and 2 combined.

5. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Agreeing w/Sandoval:alienblush:....those season set up what was yet to come and there was some very good acting in those first 2 seasons. Agreed there were more stinkers, than later, but some pretty compelling shows

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

S1 has a few good stories; S2 has several.

7. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 2 was already a big step up from season 1 I'd say. I consider 2 to be where the show "hit its stride" but it's true 3 was where the series consistency really set in. Season 2 was hardly a waste though, and 1 is certainly not thoroughly awful either.

8. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    The second half of the OP's question was "Why did the series change?" The official answer was that the producers listened to the "fans." They were afraid the Bajoran political stories and religion themes were not catching on with enough people to the point where the show would have lasted.

They added more Odo/Quark interaction, more Garak, a ship and enemies to fight/fear - The Klingons, The Maquis and The mysterious Dominion. They cut back on the Bajoran stories and the religious aspects. They added Worf because they wanted to utilize the Klingons more and adding Worf made sense. They also "softened" the Kira character just enough to not intimidate men who are afraid of tough-minded women.

I personally loved the story of Bajor and its religion. I loved Kira the freedom fighter being wary of the Federation on her turf. I wanted to see more of the Prophets and the Emissary at work, but what the heck, the TV graveyard is full of short-lived shows that I loved. If some of them had changed maybe they would have lived long enough to provide more great episodes.

In the end, it seems they made the right choice because adding the new elements kept the show viable and allowed them to do some damn good TV.

9. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    to answer the question: not at all.

season 2 was one of DS9's best, and as someone who preferred DS9's original premise to the later war show that it became, I really enjoy early DS9.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can't interrupt lives with a war and have any impact unless you've grown attached to those lives as they are before war time.

11. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The series finale ties back to the first episode so much and to all the religious and political stuff set up in the first two seasons that the ending would not have had the impact it did, or even been possible, without the first two seasons.

12. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Short answer:

B&B went off to screw up Voyager and left DS9 alone. :lol:

13. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think you can cut in the few good episodes from season 1 plus the several from s2 and make one hell of a season.

14. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    I hear ya!

15. Supernuke

Supernuke Commander Red Shirt

I actually love the first two seasons. You get to learn about the characters for the first time and there is more about the Bajoran occupation during that time than any other part of the show which I've always found interesting.

16. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

Season 2 is actually one of my favourite seasons. The episodes about Bajoran politics and religion I enjoyed especially.

I think there are a lot of fans that prefer the first seasons over the later ones.

17. jdogric12

jdogric12 Cadet Newbie

Hi gang. I watched the first couple of seasons of DS9 in high school when it was new (on UPN!) and I'm doing a little nostalgia thing and re-watching them now that I have Netflix. I barely remember catching the odd episode here and there in later seasons and thinking the story got really interesting, but I don't remember much, so no spoilers please! :) Anyway, I'm about 6 eps into S1 and I went ahead and skipped to the one where Kai Opaka gets stranded on the "no-die" planet. Can I skip ahead (for now) to the last couple eps of S1 without missing too much? Thanks, J

18. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

On the whole, yes, the first two seasons of DS9 were a waste.

Having said that, they still have a few great standout episodes within them, i.e. Captive Pursuit, Shadowplay, The Wire, Necessary Evil.

But all the great episodes in the first two seasons are great because they ignored the overall theme of DS9's first two seasons: Bajorans whining incessantly about being oppressed.

The great episodes of the first two seasons could have been put in any other season instead.

19. jdogric12

jdogric12 Cadet Newbie

Neat, thanks!

So are there any in S1 or S2 that are required viewing to understand the later seasons' "big picture" story lines?

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I disagree, Waltz, The Circle Trilogy, and several other great episodes from the first two seasons are precisely about the Bajorans pain and recovery/vengeance from being oppressed, personally that's what I really like about the first two seasons.