The Event: "Pilot" - Sept. 20 on NBC - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Sep 20, 2010.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

8.2%
  2. Above average

30.6%
  3. Average

32.7%
  4. Below average

20.4%
  5. Poor

8.2%
  1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

So far it feels like an even more messed up The 4400. Good "Not Americans" and "Bad Not Americans". It's really just a mess and there is no need for these stupid flashbackign all over the place.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty boring so far...

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

ENOUGH WITH THE FLASHBACKS ALREADY!!!! :borg:

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Whoa. **** just got real. :eek:

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

88 miles per hour!

Temporal incursion happened at 1:21 pm and zero seconds!

6. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Uh... :wtf:

Well... now I have to watch this show to figure out what the hell just happened.

I will register my official guess as aliens, however obvious that may be. :p Or maybe people from the future.

7. Mr. Adventure

So was that Oceanic 815?

C'mon Weaver, spill the beans already.

Don't know about this one.

8. Greylock Crescent

Although I will likely tune in next week to see how they plan to dole out information and how they plan to develop characters (and what does that say about me? :p), this premiere pissed me off. The stupid flashbacks were annoying. "The couple" (still don't know WTF their names are) were the epitome of pedestrian.

And no amount of "whoa" at the end of the episode makes up for 59 minutes (or 42 sans commercials) of ridiculous and mind-numbingly unnecessary plot twists.

9. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

So, I think Hurley brought his first group of people to the Island... Anywho... I'm somewhat intrigued. If they are trying to make it a combo of Lost and 24, they failed and I think those connections aren't doing the show any favors. By the end of the pilot of both of those shows, I wanted to go on for character reasons. I was interested in Jack Bauer and pretty much every character on Lost. However, I'm not especially interested in any character here.

I'll watch next week, but only for answers. If they don't show up soon or these characters don't develop soon, I'll most likely drop it.

10. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm with the majority here. I'll give it another week or two to see how it goes.

One question, isn't it becoming a little cliche that American presidents are always these noble men?

11. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I'll give this episode an Above Average for the WTF at the end. But I didn't enjoy this episode as much as I wanted to. As noted above, the flashbacks didn't really work and they served to make things more confusing.

But how many pilot episodes are the best episodes of a series? I can't think of too many. Lost's pilot was pretty good as was Voyager's and DS9's, but that's all I can think of. Actually, this pilot kind of reminded me of how I felt after Fringe's pilot 2 years ago. It felt like there was a potential for a good show buried in there somewhere, and it turns out that in Fringe's case, that was correct. I'm not yet sure about The Event. For now, I'll keep watching.

12. Greylock Crescent

^ Yeah, but while Fringe was far from compelling, it nonetheless had a fairly tight focus on its three main characters -- it really went to lengths to establish their personalities and chemistry. There's absolutely none of that merit here.

13. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Agreed. The only reason I'm going to tune in next week is because of the plot (specifically the plot twist), not the characters.

14. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

That's a good point. But I can't think of a pilot that doesn't offer that much, like this one did in my mind. If that WTF moment at the end didn't happen, I don't think I'd be watching next week. Also, depending on how inspiration this takes from 24 or, let's say Heroes, the pilot will blend into the rest of the season, where there are no real stand out episodes, as they all serve to advance the plot.

15. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

This I can agree with to some extent. I can understand them wanting to introduce the characters (after all, it is the pilot episode), but I think they tried to introduce too much all at once.

16. Mr. Adventure

Am I the only one who wasn't really all that wowed by the actual event?

17. Greylock Crescent

I'm guessing that wasn't "The Event" as referred to by the title or that mysterious lady character.

But as for the "wow" factor ... I tend to agree. It gets a "whoa" because planes disappearing into thin air is a "whoa" kinda thing. But you had to expect a deus ex machina moment there because, obviously, they weren't going to kill off the President, his advisers and the mysterious lady character.

Killing all of them off would have been, "wow."

18. omegadir

omegadir Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well that was...interesting.

I'm not sure what the flashbacks were trying to show, but the whole episode could have been compressed into about 5 minutes and the twist at the end would still have the same impact.

As a side note, the fire alarm went off in the middle of it and I didn't feel like I missed anything at all.

I'll probably be sticking with this anyway just to see where this goes.

19. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

Why do showrunners thing that the way to make a better version of Lost is to make a more confusing version of Lost?

20. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Jusry is still out for me, will see how next week's episode goes.