9 PDF

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Robert Simmons, May 9, 2014.

1. Robert Simmons

Robert Simmons Commander Red Shirt

Out There Joy Riding a console hopping galaxies
    Progress pics for the past week. Began work on the beveled wall display above the Chief Engineeer's console. In the process I noticed in building left of the console to the door that the Steve Sardanis "Journey To Babel" floor plan for the wall does not agree with the TOS stills. So planning on another session of cross checking stills later when finalizing this part of Engineering. Set that aside for now. Decided to focus on installing finalized panels for the corridors. Spent the past week building panels. Began to install them swapping out with the initial study panels. Ran out of wood strips for the footers and the dividers. So tomorrow night visiting a hobby store to stock up on those. Setting a goal to have the majority of the panels in place before the weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    scifieric likes this.
  2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Lovely work.

--Alex

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I didn't yet have a good look at the engine room's floor casing holding the dilithium crystal assembly but are the cylindrical tops on the casing both the same size?

Here is a screencap suggesting their size is different.

Keep up this great work.

Bob

4. Robert Simmons

Yes they are different sizes and I have modeled them to match. I'll get a pic of it later on tonight of the model so it will be more apparent. But in this shot you provided they are backwards and in the wrong positions due to be wilding out in a previous episode and not being put back where they belong. Since the most we ever saw this equipment used in "Elaan Of Troyius" that is the episode that I am using for the reference for the positions.

scifieric likes this.
  5. Robert Simmons

This week's progress. Main corridor done. Next up the Transporter and Engineering corridors. Then replacing with the finalized overheads.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    scifieric likes this.
  6. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Looks great!

--Alex

scifieric likes this.
  7. Robert Comsol

Amazing! Had I not known that the top image was a picture taken of a paper model I would have thought "OMG...somebody is recreating the studio set in life size with sheetrock panels". :techman:

The second / lower picture illustrates some of the headaches I have with that "Journey to Babel" floor plan - it put two doors on the back wall of transporter room, but all we ever saw was just one, opposite the door to the examination room (e.g. "Amok Time", "Wolf in the Fold", "The Doomsday Machine", and the closing scene of "The Ultimate Computer").

In "Elaan of Troyius" (in general no more doors there in Season Three) they put a door in the center of that corridor piece but there have never been two.

Bob

scifieric likes this.
  8. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Love the camera work. Looks lifelike!

scifieric likes this.
  9. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks great!!

I bet your wife loves it! :)

scifieric likes this.
  10. Robert Simmons

She's okay with it as long as it is only in the kitchen after she crashes, and on weekends when I do marathon work sessions. Kitchen is about the only open space left to work on it since this project has swallowed my upstairs loft.

scifieric likes this.
  11. Robert Simmons

Finished swapping finalized panels in the corridors. Next up the installing overhead dividers with the pipes in the corridors. Then Captain's Quarters. Decided to just for fun assemble everything so far for a pic.

[​IMG]

scifieric likes this.
  12. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is really amazing work. VERY cool!!

What are you going to do with it once you finish?

scifieric likes this.
  13. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Looks awesome!

scifieric likes this.
  14. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Regarding the corridors, it looks like there should be less space between the top of the doorways and the bottom of the overhangs. Other than that, looks great.

scifieric likes this.
  15. Robert Simmons

Blueprint it all down to the stud. Measurements and all templates will be included.

You are right. What you are seeing is either the initial overheads where I worked out the pattern or the temp spacers to replace the damaged ones a friend's wife smashed the transporter and adjacent corridor with a laundry basket when it was out on loan in the back of his SUV. That was a fun rebuild. I've been working on the finalized overheads where I will not use superglue where it will stain the cardstock but still be strong to stabilize the walls. That's my goals for this week.

scifieric likes this.
  16. Robert Comsol

Just to illustrate what I mentioned in post # 47 here is a screencap from "the Doomsday-Machine" and there is only one door at the back of the transporter room aka one door opposite the examination room set.

Admittedly, in the other shots I mentioned we do not see enough of this corridor end in Season Two to determine whether there was only one door, but unless we have evidence that there was a second door, I'd say the one above is the only lead we have.

Bob

scifieric likes this.
  17. Robert Simmons

When I review the total body of stills I will most likely replace the extra door with a regular panel. By you pointing it out now it is much earlier in the process for me than I planned on making that revision. As I stated in post #1 of this thread that the Journey to Babel plans were a starting point and not a end point. I planned on making revisions from the TOS stills. I just didn't plan on making more than a few which comes to a surprise to me.

scifieric likes this.
  18. Robert Simmons

Slight change of plans. Made a decision to have more of the entire Stage 9 model finalized before releasing any blueprints. That way less wasted time and effort making revisions to the drawings. So Release 1.0 is on hold past new year's. Exactly how long? Not sure. Had all of the transporter chamber blueprinted already and now in need to make revisions to multiple pages to accommodate the transporter chamber ceiling . Better to wait than be forced to redraw. Prefer to do everything only once.

Spent Tuesday evening mapping out the footprint of the inboard sets. That big empty space is really nagging at me to fill it. Made a decision to begin building the initial crude study model of the bed Ward and the examination room. This way I can fast track giving attention the skull cabinent question. First step the doorways to examination room, McCoy's office, and the Med Lab and build to fill in between the as anchor hard points to measure against. Kind of a fill in the blanks approach to filling in the space between the corridor doors.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    scifieric likes this.
  19. Robert Simmons

Progress as of tonight. Will be bouncing back and forth between the Sickbay sets and Engineering. Will need to build some stronger vertical support for the upper catwalk roof

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scifieric likes this.
  20. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think there may be a song from Willy Wonka that expresses my feelings.

But seriously, folks, keep up the great work, Robert.