MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Word.

Chipper has been a Met killer from the get-go, and named his son Shea just to twist that knife a bit deeper. Why shouldn't we boo him?

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Speak for yourself, I booed the shit out of Jose Hernandez every chance I got.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Usually they get a perfunctory "sucks" shouted after their name is announced, but that's it.

So Strasburg is done.

4. Timby

Fucking moronic.

I really hope this blows up in their faces, in hilarious fashion, and that in 3 or 4 years, everyone realizes they blew their best chance to win a title because of an artificial innings limit. The best part is Davey Johnson claiming that the shutdown was because all of the media hoopla had gotten into Strasburg's head. Hey, guess what, Nationals? You were the fucktards who said that he'd be shut down! Therefore, you created the media circus of wondering when he'd be done!

I mean, even if you accept the premise that Strasburg was going to be capped at 160 innings (which the media reported, and the Nationals denied; Strasburg finished the season at 159 1/3 IP), the team handled it about ham-fistedly as possible, coming up with a plan under the pretense that they wouldn't be contending and never altering it for the idea that they could possibly make the playoffs. They could have sent him on vacation for a few weeks during the summer to keep his innings down, they could have pulled him earlier from low-leverage game situations to keep his innings down ... fuck, they could have sent him to the bullpen. Instead they had him pitch a ton of low-leverage innings and shut him down in September. That's ... that's just horrible organizational management.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The whole point is to give him more time resting (continuously). The actual inning number wasn't relevant. I think it's stupid, but, if they're going with the plan, there was no alternative way to accomplish it (such as having him pitch in the bullpen).

6. Timby

The point is that the plan was fucking stupid.

7. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

The plan ate a bag of dicks, let's be honest here.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh come on, you mean you don't want him coming out in October pitching like he was prepping for Spring training? :p

9. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm going to my first and probably last Mets game of the season tomorrow night. On a whim I bought a ticket for tomorrow nights game, Mets vs. Nationals. RA Dickey is pitching, going for his 19th win. Got a great seat, will take some picture and eventually post them.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Go to Keith's Grill and have a burger. I always eat there when I go to Citi.

11. Tom Hendricks

Nah, I'm a Shake Shack & Blue Smoke guy.

12. Tom Hendricks

Went to the Mets game tonight, RA's knuckleball was really flat. Bryce was 3 for 3, then he gave up the homerun that pretty much ended any chance he had at the Cy Young. I still can't stand the green seats at Citi-field, The blue outfield wall makes it a little more palatable. Here are a few pictures from the game.

I parked almost right on-top of Shea's old Pitchers mound.
    [​IMG]

RA Dickeys Pitching motion
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

David Wright ready for action
    [​IMG]

13. SmoothieX

Damn, I was pulling for RA for CY.

What do you think of Citi Field, Tom?

I went there the year it opened, and while I enjoyed the sightlines from the concourses, I generally was underwhelmed. It felt sterile, oddly angular, and bigger than the adjacent LGA hangars.

You like minor league ball? I'm about 15 minutes away from Dutchess Stadium and the Hudson Valley Renegades. If you ever go, let me know. They're the short season single A team for I don'r even know at this point.

14. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Ahhh David Wright. I played high school baseball in an extremely talented division for its time. I was a freshman on the same team as a senior Michael Cuddyer who was primarily a pitcher. As a Junior our rival high school featured a skinny David Wright as a shortstop with a lot of upside. There was also this third baseman down the road named Ryan Zimmerman who was tearing it up. A few years later my brother played for the same high school I did hitting cleanup on a team that featured Justin Upton hitting third. My brother probably got a scholarship based on Upton protecting him in the lineup as well as giving him a lot of RBI opportunities. The latest guy to come from the Tidewater area is D-Backs pitcher Daniel Hudson.

On that note Justin Upton is a pretty cool guy. He was back in town last year in the off season and covered a pretty substantial bar tab for us while we got to pick his brain on life on the big leagues. He was also giving us the heads up on B.J.'s contract negotiation. It's pretty cool being privy to information that Buster Olney or Ken Rosenthal would die for.

15. Tom Hendricks

As a whole I like Citi-field but I have some major issues with some of the design choices. The outside of Citi-field is beautiful, I especially love the Rotundo. I like the harkening back to Ebbits Field. I love the inside of the Rotundo as well, especially the dedication to Jackie Robinson (one of my favorite baseball players.)

I too love the sight lines, the concourse and being able to walk all the way around the stadium. However liked you said, inside is very underwhelming. I totally agree about it feeling sterile and cold. From the inside, if you sat down I think you would have a hard time telling who actually plays there. I hate, HATE the green seats. Why aren't they at least blue or maybe lower being blue and upper orange. The green seats make it seam they got them on sale somewhere and they only had green. At least when they moved the fences in, they went with a blue wall. The museum feels like a tact on and not really worth the visit. I liked it better when it was just the Team store.

I LOVE minor league baseball, have been to several different teams. Having lived in New Jersey most my life thats where I have seen the most. Newark Bears, Sommerset Patriots, Lakewood BlueClaws, NJ Jackals, LI Ducks. I have never made it up to see the Renegades. Not sure I will be getting up there this year and I'm moving to Syracuse in April. So on the plus side I will be able to see the Binghamton Mets.

16. SmoothieX

I'm not usually a fan of moving the fences in just to generate more homers, but this was warranted. That place needed its own zip code, it was ridiculously huge and the fences were taller than most buildings.

I never got the drab green seats and fence either. Your colors are blue and orange (and fortunately no longer black), where does green enter the equation?

17. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Hey, I like the black Mets unis...

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, I never liked all the multicolor uniforms all the teams have as "alternate" jerseys now. I always thought the home team should be in white and the road team in gray and the lettering, striping and what not is colored team appropriately.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't really think black should be used by any team where it isn't one of their primary colors. The Reds, for example, really need to drop the black highlights and go back to plain old red and white.

As for the multicolor alternate jerseys, I like most of them. The home team always in white and the road team always in gray gets dull after a while. I'd actually like to see more teams use a colored alternate jersey, but a lot of baseball fans and teams are very traditionalist, so I can understand why they don't do it.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Anyone who dislikes current uniforms should be glad that "Turn Ahead The Clock" is a distant memory...