7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 1, 2012.

?

Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"

Poll closed Oct 1, 2012.
  1. Geronimo!

55.2%
  2. Good

32.8%
  3. Average

8.6%
  4. Save us!

2.3%
  5. Exterminate!!

1.1%
  1. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Would you prefer to be called Magnus, or the War Chief?

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

War Chief please :)

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

That's a very good point. Remains to be seen if it's do with others asking the question, or the Doctor himself (he was saying it himself).

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

"evil" doesn't mean anything.

The Daleks are xenophobes.

Their end game is to be the only life form in the universe.

After they discovered time travel, then they wanted to be the only life form ever.

Then they discovered mirror universes... Well you get the point.

NonDalek lifeforms are a sickening abomination that have to be put out of their misery.

They have a clear and present agenda no different from when they were the Kaleds, and frankly little different to how the Thals thought either, so factually they are are just following their bliss.

Although bliss probably doesn't exist either.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the Doctor is lying about his age in the 1963-1989 era we heard an age closer to the 1000 year mark.

As for the Galaxy being 15bn years old, remember we've seen him travel to Event One (The Big Bang) and the year 100 trillion, to almost the end of the Universe. So he has had far more than 15bn years to play in.

Yes sometimes when the Doctor comes to visit he impacts a civilisation as a whole, sometimes it's more of a personal impact.

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Yes, thanks. I was only thinking up to now. I have a problem with thinking fourth dimensionally.

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with this. The Doctor *had* to fight the Daleks because they were already evil. It's possible that by defeating the Daleks at various points that they were motivated to improve their game. However, without the Doctor, the Daleks would've been able to conquer more despite being less motivated/skilled. And, after the Doctor's interventions, they may have been a bit more motivated/skilled, but they conquered less.

But, make no mistake. The Daleks were always evil and were always intent on enslaving and exterminating all other lifeforms.

Having said that, I can see how given the situation in the modern Whoniverse, the Daleks, as they currently are, might rest on their laurels if they are unaware of the Doctor. If that's the angle Moffatt is taking, that's fine. No point stirring up a beehive if you don't have to.

But, to suggest that the Doctor shouldn't have intervened before is just preposterous!

Mr Awe

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I don't recall anyone saying that at any point in the discussion. Just like no one has said the Daleks weren't evil. This episode, however, directly stated that the Doctor's interactions with them upgraded them from being evil to EEEEEEEEEEEVIL!!!!!!. And yes, there is a sizable difference between the two, no matter how some posters would like to downplay them.

9. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Again, playing devils advocate here...

it's possible that The Doctor... or another Time Lord's 'intervention' in The Daleks, is what started the Time War in the first place...

Take for example Genesis of the Daleks... Where The Doctor (4th) goes back in time to actively prevent the Dalek's from ever being created... he failed admittedly, famously asking "Do I have the right?" when confronted with the possibility of wiping out the entire Dalek race... it's very possible that this first strike by the Time Lords, linearly speaking, is what caused the Dalek's to rise against the Time Lords in the first place...

M

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^According to RTD, that was the start of the Time War.

11. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would be interesting ala DS9's "Trials & Tribulations" if they could bring the current series into "Genesis Of The Daleks" and tell a story involving that episode.

12. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

So... According to an article on SyFy Blastr, the BBC America premier was 1.55 million viewers, making it an all time record for the network... On the BBC, it pulled 6 million plus, making it the least viewed.. That said, it easily won it's time slot... Guess one can't have cake and eat it too...

13. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Ratings are down all over our TV, it seems. I believe X-Factor has been taking it's lowest ratings ever this year, too. And ITV lost out to Channel 5 in the ratings just the other night, I think I saw somewhere.

14. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So what is that difference? In their second story where they doesn't show any recognition of the Doctor they invaded Earth, planning to use it to travel around and conquer the universe. What have they done since which is such a step up?

15. VDCNI

Least viewed what? It's not the lowest overnight rating the show has had, it will have a massive time shift anyway.

16. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Least viewed first episode of any series, I believe.

17. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the many things, yes. Look, it's a dr who tradtiion to get exterminated. It's like the dr never using his sonic screwdriver or him bragging about he has a tardis, but never uses it.
    The show is bellow average.

18. VDCNI

Last year was 6.5m wasn't it though so 6.4m isn't really much of a drop.

19. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Correct.. Thanks.. I forgot to put that part on there.

20. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

If this is average, great might kill me.