Star Ship AJAX Production

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by JimTheBuilder, Dec 18, 2011.

1. JimTheBuilder

JimTheBuilder Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Have I mentioned how proud I am of all that you guys have done? Well, I am...very much so!! Kudos, dudes, nicely done!

2. x32

x32 Lieutenant Red Shirt

The project is back on track.

We finally have electricity in the new building and have started resembling the Ajax bridge. It shouldn't be long until were back to the point we were before the move.

It's also almost time to start casting for the show. See the "Casting" page at the Starship Ajax website for cast list and information.

3. scienceguy

scienceguy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to seeing this production!

I do have one question: why are the main characters overwhelmingly male (9 male, 2 female)? I think your film would be more appealing if it included more female characters.

Also, I know from personal experience working on independent films, it is much easier to recruit talented female actors (for some reason, more women pursue acting than men).

4. AjaxSupportCrew

AjaxSupportCrew Lieutenant Red Shirt

More work today?? It's 25 outside today.... w/ the high of 29 predicted....
    Hmmm , might have to rethink todays' schedule

5. AjaxSupportCrew

BUT, the more we do and the faster you do it, the warmer you shall be and not notice the cold at all.........

Just a thought..........

6. J.C. England

J.C. England Lieutenant Red Shirt

Scienceguy - the reason for the casting, more male
    than female, is because our production is being created
    as though it were made in 1967-68. The first pilot "The
    Cage" had an overwhelming male cast & 2 female officers.
    "Where No Man Has Gone Before" didn't improve the
    female cast much, either. Although, I do want everyone
    to know, only the very top characters are set in stone
    as far as being male or female. Other characters, may very
    well change from being male to female or vice versa. We
    still have quite a ways to go.

Good question.

and P.S.
    Personally, I DO want more female characters
    than we have listed. Its' just a template for now.

7. JimTheBuilder

...and admittedly, the female characters we do have are all very strong and in major positions on the crew...one of which is a terrific surprise from Trek's past. The second tier characters could go either way, male or female, so I imagine that as people audition those options will be open... Just sayin....

8. JimTheBuilder

Any recent news, guys? Thiis thread is starting to creep down the list!!

9. AjaxSupportCrew

NOPE - No new newz / nothing to report ! !

10. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Hey guys, I'd love to see a video update! If you have a smart phone, you could just shoot maybe a 3 to 5 minute video and cover the regular stuff like sets, production details, and of course a request for donations. You know Intrepid is doing cast interviews...this might be interesting with the crew that is involved at this point.

11. AjaxSupportCrew

Don't know if it's up to me but, here we go, my 2 cents......

As far as the "set" goes, since I had surgery a few weeks ago and am recover'n at present, "work days" have dropped considerably.
    Richard has had some previously scheduled things to take care of also. Roland is in the hospital at the moment with some problems that are being worked out.....
    (( our workforce has dropped drastically ))
    So, as far as I know, time projection on the bridge re-construction is open ended @ present.
    Work is continuing on the script. According to J.C., a 10-15 minute vignette - "When One Door Closes" is written & ready to be filmed once casting is completed.
    Open auditions are being taken and accepted. A scheduled date is pending for our next sit-down meeting. John will have more info on this as time permits and progresses..
    Several new contacts were made thru our exhibit which was set-up last weekend at the "Underground Monster Carnival", held in Oklahoma City @ the State Fairgrounds. We had a GREAT turn-out. Lots of interests and enthusiasm throughout the day passed the time quickly so we'll see what develops from that........
    We ALWAYZ welcome any donations to the project which I believe is linked thru the Starship Ajax website www.starshipajax.com & also on the Ajax FB page........
    Stay tuned! As newz develops , It WILL Be posted.......
    Thanx for the continued interests........

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  12. J.C. England

J.C. England Lieutenant Red Shirt

..and THAT news is certainly official!

13. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Wish I had known about the appearance ... I would have tried to get over there.

14. AjaxSupportCrew

MEETING TONIGHT 6:00 P.M.
    discussions on the priority of the "next" steps to be hammered out............

It always looks good on paper - - - - - - - -

Report to follow...........

15. AjaxSupportCrew

Meeting was productive: as we spoke about how far we've come with the Bridge set reconstruction, the finalized vignette script, and casting one of the characters and a director for the episode, to be announced later... More to come, stay tuned....

16. JimTheBuilder

Yep, there sure is more to come...not for me to say what, exactly...but I can hardly wait for you guys to release the news....:techman:

17. JimTheBuilder

Any casting news...that is, beyond what I already know?

18. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

All's quiet on the Ajax front...any news to report? How is the bridge coming along?

19. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Some kind of update would be nice. Or contact the guy from Trekspeak.

20. x32

x32 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ok guys. I'm now back from my much easier but yet paying job and focusing on the back breaking volunteer project. If you would have seen us tonight you would agree with the back breaking part.

The work over the last two days hasn't been on the sets but on the new building. The previous tenants had backed into it with a truck, many, many times and then proceeded to do some unbelievably horrible repairs. We have had a lot of rain here lately and much of it has been inside. One more day to re-repair our wall, another day to build a divider we promised the owner we would put up to separate our junk from his and then back to the bridge.

The bridge is actually just about at the state it was before the move. I came in one day during my long break and resembled most of it. Pretty soon we can get back to making progress.

We did take the opportunity to make some upgrades while we had it apart. First there were many platforms that weren't constructed very well that we re-enforced and that took care of much of the squeaks when walking around the ring.

Second, we carpeted before replacing all the consoles. I don't know why we didn't do that the first time... but we fixed it.

The third and most notable, we did away with all the match stick looking legs under the platforms which were causing much of the squeaking problem. We replaced them with 1' square x shaped stands that don't attach to the platforms. This gives us the ability to move or pad supports that squeak, quickly add extra support in any areas that need it and mostly...

along with keeping the console sections modular and not permanently attached to each other, any section of the bridge can be quickly unbolted, dropped onto wheel boards and moved away allowing camera angles from any section and...

each section of the bridge is compact enough it can be rolled into the back of a truck and transported anywhere. Anyone want to rent a bridge for your next corporate party?

It will actually take two semis and likely another smaller truck to move the entire set but it can now be done.

One big change we are making, after running some numbers I've discovered we will save many, muches amounts of money by using lcd screens for the bridge displays instead of building light boxes. It's a move I don't really care for but in the interest of time and cost it's our best and, at the present, only option. I hope in the future to be able to build the displays and replace the monitors.

While we're completing the bridge set I'm riding the production team to get started filming. Hopefully they can have everything in place so when we drive the last screw, they can start shooting.

Now that we're moving past the building and into the details of the set does anyone have any suggestions, questions, ideas or inside knowledge they would like to share?

Here are a couple of things I never would have thought I'd gain so much knowledge about.

1. Marbles. There are a couple of thousand marbles on this bridge. Finding a place to buy marbles these days hasn't been easy but I think I found someone who can put together a package of the marbles we need. I'll let you know how it turns out.

2. Ice trays. Supposedly the little square buttons on the control panels used mini ice trays for molds. If they did then they don't make those trays anymore. I have now ordered over the internet, because I could find none in this state, 5 different types of mini ices trays and none of them will work for molds. I'm at one of those stuck points, I can find no other trays that are different than what I already have. So I'm likely going to be making my own molds in the next few days. This will be fun... I'll let you know how it works out too.

I think I've let your in on all the current news and more. I'd love to hear you comments and suggestions, give it to me.

Oh, one more thing.

The Starship Ajax online store is now open for business. Everyone needs an Ajax coffee mug or at least a dog tag. Check it out on our website, http://www.starshipajax.com .

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012