The Big Bang Theory

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by PianoWizzy, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally not a fan of the show. Came recommended to me by a friend... but it's just too forced and generic. It's a really generic sitcom with some geek trappings. Their idea of geekdom is pretty 'Urkel', for lack of a better word. I think a show like Chuck does a much better job with geeks, and is generally much more humorous than Big Bang

Oh, and Wil Wheaton's guest gigs prove he made the right call in leaving the full-time acting business to make software or whatever. He's terrible.

2. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Oh good, I didn't want to be the first to say anything negative about this show...lest I come across as a party pooper. :D For the most part, I liked the first three seasons, but I think the show's recent success has hurt it somewhat. It became a huge ratings winner and was moved to Thursday since that's considered a prestigious prime time slot for a TV show, and I believe this made the show's staff a bit lazier. It was never a very ambitious show in the first place, but I feel season 4 has been a lot more hackneyed than the previous seasons.

The Sheldon robot episode, for example, was one of the worst examples of cliche sitcom crap they've ever done, and really made Sheldon seem Urkelesque. There's also a lot more typical lame sitcom humour recently, and the show's connection to "Two and a Half Men" (a show I despise for its shallowness and sexism) becomes disturbingly obvious at times, with the excessive sex-related humour.

I agree about Wheaton to a degree as well. I like how the show has made him Sheldon's nemesis. It's cool just because of who he is, but his acting is pretty wooden. It's funny how after all these years, even as he sports a beard to look older, he still sounds like Wesley Crusher when he does his line readings. I don't think the guy has a lot of range. :nyah: I still like the show because unlike "Two and a Half Men", it has characters I find endearing, but I'm disappointed with the drop in quality since the last season.

3. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the show, it's so hilarious and sadly true to life. The geekiness doesn't feel fake or forced to me because I really know people just like these characters. My boyfriend is getting his PhD in Physics right now and this show comes eerily close to copying the real life atmosphere of his department and the people within. It's one of the few shows on TV that can make me laugh out loud for almost the whole half hour, it's awesome to have that again after many years of crappy sitcoms.

4. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"No Gorn...No! That's where I sit." :guffaw:

5. alica

alica Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

A lots of fans are here for big bang theory. The show is centered around five characters and all appeared well in their characters.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

When Howard got into bed to, um, pleasure himself, picked up a remote control which turned on crossed lightsabers over the headboard - I think I may have actually hurt myself laughing.

7. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This show is awesome. I watched a couple of episodes and got hooked right away. Picked up seasons 1-3 on sale and had a marathon to catch up to season 4.

8. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, it's okay.

In its more inspired moments it's really funny. The rest of the time it's painfully generic and not even close to something like How I Met Your Mother.

The main problem is that the show is frequetly laughing at its characters rather than with them. I caught the premiere this year and just hated it. "Look! The nerd's fucking a robot! And his dick's stuck!" Really sophomoric and not funny at all. That's why I'm frustrated with the show. It's capable of being funny but too often they succumb to the impulse to trot out the witless dick joke. Don't get me wrong: I love dick jokes. But they have to do more than simply exist.

9. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And we fans of TBBT thank God for that. :p

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

So Charelyn Yi was on Conan last night

She mentioned that she auditioned for a popular sitcom. She didn't get the humor and desperately wanted to get fired.

Apparently the show she auditioned for was The Big Bang Theory.

She mentioned the scene was heating a cup of noodles with a laser beam.

11. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Actually, I'd put them on about the same level. They're the only two traditional sitcoms I watch and I think they're both torn between the fact that they have some truly original ideas but are committed to following sitcom conventions. That's why they're both standout sitcoms but fall short of greatness and occasionally dissolve into really bad cliches. Yes, I take television too seriously. :alienblush:

12. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I was wondering why there wasn't a thread for the show last week and now I see one.

I quite like it. In fact, it's the only sitcom I currently watch.

Loved the episode a couple weeks back with Katee Sackhoff and George Takei. :D

13. Spot's Meow

I wanted to like HIMYM really badly, but it just wasn't working for me. I rented the DVDs and started watching and I just wasn't laughing, except when Neil Patrick Harris was on the screen. He was hilarious, but he alone was not enough to make me continue on with the show. I actually really really like the other actors on the show but their characters are not at all likeable or funny to me, it was sad.

I have steered clear of comedies for the past several years because they just aren't funny, they are so typical and cheesy. The only exceptions have been Arrested Development, Big Bang Theory, and now Modern Family. Modern Family airs Wednesday and Big Bang Theory on Thursday, so we save them to watch together on Friday and it's like the perfect comedy block for us.

14. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Arrested Development would be my favourite American sitcom of the 20 years or so. Modern Family I just can't get into. I've tried. My girlfriend loves it but aside from a scene here or there it doesn't work for me.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just started Modern Family last night. We watched 3 episodes so far. It's alright. I laugh a few times. But it's nowhere near the level of 30 Rock or Office or anything like that. I don't get the praise.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I do wish TBBT would do more of the geeky stuff we saw back in season 1. I watched an old episode where their lights are being controlled by internet users all over the world :rofl:.

Scrubs is my favourite comedy of all time but TBBT is a dam funny runner up.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The line must be drawn here! This far! No farther!"

18. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good woman :lol:

Though actually she wasn't very funny herself...

19. Spot's Meow

It helps that I wasn't expecting much when I first watched the premiere, I watched a sneak preview online before it aired and so there hadn't been any reviews or praise yet. I was hooked by the Lion King scene where he holds the baby in the air...I was literally rolling on the floor laughing when I saw that, it was so perfect. And the show has continued to impress me, not because the story lines are all that original, but because of specific moments in the show that just excite uncontrollable laughter in me. :) And I would have agreed with you about The Office a few years ago, but it hasn't been making me laugh out loud all that much in the past couple of seasons.

Anyway, back to Big Bang Theory...Kaley Cuoco was written out of two episodes entirely and mostly out of a third one because of her leg injuries (horseriding incident), but I can honestly say I didn't really notice her absence right away. I think the show was still pretty great without her. She does make a nice addition though.

20. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

:guffaw:

Sheldon quoting First Contact, trying for Stewart's accent :lol: