Alright, I want to know what the hype is about...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by star, Aug 26, 2010.

1. star

star Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a trekkie. Big Time. Not so crazy that I've gone to conventions dressed as a character -- well not yet anyway...

But I don't get the "DS9 is the Best Trek EVAH!" thing.

Don't worry, I'm not here to troll. ;)

I watched the show, but I'll admit that when VOY came out, my viewing of DS9 stopped. It didn't do much for me. I guess I had a hard time watching a show that took place on a space station rather than flitting about the galaxy with warp nacelles like my other beloved Trek shows.

I didn't even know people liked DS9 until I discovered online fandom (years after DS9 hung up its hat). And not just liked, but full on worshiping it as the best Trek series ever ardore.

My experience is that people either don't like it at all or love it. Much the same with Enterprise (one of my favorites).

So, I put season 1 DS9 at the top of my netflix queue and within a couple days will be giving the show another pass. I'm setting aside my expectations.

In the meantime, how about you ardent fans tell me what you love best about the show. Tell me what I'm in for.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It won't become apparent till S2, and really not fully till S3, but DS9 was the first Trek series to really jump into plot and character arcs, and emotional and thematic complexity. It makes much of TOS look trivial and TNG look very stiff and conservative by comparison.

After watching DS9, I found it difficult to tolerate VOY and ENT. Their deficiencies in terms of plot & character arcs, consistent writing, themes of any importance, and the willingness of writers to transcend the tired Trek formula and do truly daring things were too glaring once you understood what DS9 had accomplished. It's not very impressive to see characters going boldly when the writing is cowardly and conservative.

If you find S1 is boring, all you really need to watch is the premiere Emissary, Duet, In the Hands of the Prophets. Battle Lines is interesting but not vital.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. star

Oh I'm going to watch all 7 seasons before I form an opinion.

4. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^I agree, and I really should have watched DS9 before VOY or ENT. I find things I like in all the series, but I find the most in DS9. It's like what I've said many times about Stargate SG-1, the perfect blend of episodes serving as standalone entertainment in the backdrop of a much larger universe that begs to be explored in depth.
    DS9 also has some of my favorite characters of all time. Garak is just awesome, and Worf actually becomes a great character in the later seasons. Sisko (while I understand how his 'animated' personality can grate on others) is also on my list of favorite characters.

5. ST1701

ST1701 Cadet Newbie

I watched DS9 when it came out. It starts off slowly but please keep at it. It's an amazing show.

The marker from mediocre to awesome is surely about the same time of Captain Sisko's image change. The show took off when he shaved his head.

Much like when TNG became awesome when the Picard Maneuver came along :rommie:

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why do I love DS9? I could go into the usual reasons such as the characters and story arcs, but this time I think I'll try something a little different.

I love DS9 because there hasn't been a Star Trek show before or since that made me care more about this universe. I grew up watching TNG and I loved it, I still do, but DS9 took the Star Trek universe that TOS and TNG had built up and made it into a character in its own right. In TOS and TNG, they normally fly from planet to planet having adventures and a couple of times each season they might meet the Klingons or Romulans, and that would be it. But in DS9, when a character says something like "The Romulans have signed a treaty with whoever", it's not just a plot-point to drive that episode, it's a big thing that makes you think "Oh, wow". DS9 is a Star Trek show for Star Trek fans by Star Trek fans that revel in the fact that they get to tell stories not only in this amazing universe, but about it.

It also has great characters, great actors, great dialogue, great special effects and many other great things, but I imagine others will cover those in greater depth.

7. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depends on who you talk to and what they like.

I like the D-war, the Jem'Hadar, the action...

8. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think the reality is as sharply divided as you suggest. I run into quite a few fans who readily admit that DS9 has a lot of excellent episodes and exciting storylines, but who just don't like the overall tone of the show as much as other Treks, or who are more attached to the Voyager characters, or the ENT characters, or whatever.

For my part, I do think DS9 is the best Trek show, certainly it is my favorite, but I don't worship it. In fact I am often quite critical of it, as are many Niners. DS9 can take the criticism, though, because (in spite of a handful of truly putrid episodes) the show gets better the more you analyse it. The more I think about DS9, and the more I go back to rewatch episodes over time, the more I like the show.

To summarize, I would say that DS9 is the best Trek because, paradoxically, it does more actual exploration than any other Trek show. Some of it is exploration of space, but much of it is inner exploration (of the self), deconstruction and analysis of the Trek universe, delving deeper into alien cultures, exploring different storytelling styles and themes that are not generally associated with Trek.

Aliens and anomalies of the week have never been a very effective means of depicting exploration, at least not by themselves. Trek has always been as much about the inner journey as the outer one (which is why it often works despite all the forehead alien silliness). On the other hand, DS9 mostly abandons the outer conceit of space travel in order to focus primarily on the inner exploration that has always been the heart of the matter in any event.

Alongside the exploration of character, there is a lot of experimentation with darker themes, serial storytelling, moral ambiguity, political and religious ideas, wartime, etc. All of this together means the show actually accomplishes a lot of exploration on a number of levels, rather than ostensibly being about exploring the unknown while in reality simply recycling a lot of tired tropes and stale ideas, as I would argue is the case for most of Voyager and at least the first two seasons of ENT.

DS9 could have been mediocre or worse. There are quite a few episodes in season 1 that attest to this, as they are essentially weak TNG scripts, reworked so the anamoly or alien or whatever either shows up at the station or is located just beyond the wormhole.

DS9 could have also been a very good show that dealt with character development and the political, social and religious questions surrounding the Cardassian occupation of Bajor and its aftermath. This is basically season 2, which has a more narrow appeal than the later seasons, due to the absence of a strong sci-fi adventure element, but which is very successful on its own terms.

By the time you get to the later seasons, though, at least seasons 4-7 (with season 3 being a bit of an uneven transition period), DS9 has built itself into a layered, epic piece of awesomeness that I don't think has any equal in Trek. The character development, political and religious themes remain a central focus, but they have been melded with a thrilling sci-fi adventure storyline involving one of the genre's coolest adversaries and most of the Trek universe: Cardassians and Bajorans, but also the Klingons, Romulans and others.

There are not many shows out there that evolve as much over time as DS9, while at the same time creating coherent characters and an epic storyline.

Now, there is some dreck on DS9, but that is occasional, mostly involves easily skipped Ferengi episodes, and is totally overshadowed by all the great characters, interesting ideas, and epic plotlines. There, I've said my peace ;)

9. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

People say DS9 is the best evah because... IT IS THE BEST EVAH!!!

Seriously, watch it.

10. star

I am thoroughly enjoying your answers. I'm looking forward to seeing if I come to the same conclusions.

And I will warn that should you all convert me to being a Niner, you will have to get used to my tongue-in-cheek posts. I certainly didn't mean to come off as insulting in any way.

Like I said, I will plow through all 7 seasons worth of episodes before I bang my gavel and proclaim my final judgment. And no, I will not be skipping any episode even if it is drekitude. I want the complete experience. I gave all the other series this chance. I shall not deny DS9 the same opportunity to earn my love.

Now I just have to wait for Netflix to ship the first three dvds...

11. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

DS9 excelled at character development and long-term story arcs. No other Trek can match it for that. Ironically enough, that might have been what held it back from getting better ratings. DS9 was great but it was not as accessible to the casual viewer. Although they did some story arcs, most of the other Treks were composed largely of self-contained episodes, so if you happened to miss one, no biggie. Whereas DS9, you really had to pay attention to every little nuance and plot point. I think that's why the fan base for DS9 is so "greatest Trek ever," because they were engaged in the show. DS9 wasn't as accessible to the casual viewer, but once you got hooked on it ... it's like Ketracel-white, baby! ;)

12. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

That's the appeal of DS9 boiled down to it's bare bone essentials right there.

13. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

This sums it up for me. A good example was the Dominion, introduced in Season 2 as an afterthought in a Ferengi episode and look what happened.

In other Trek's, it seemed like characters were secondary to the story, some to their detriment.

14. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

I think these quotes from some of sfdebris' reviews say it best....

(I've modified the quotes to remove DS9 spoilers, but I'm assuming you've seen VOY, so I'll leave the VOY spoilers in.)

Those are some of the main reasons why I love DS9.

15. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I think DS9 (eventually) gave some viewers what they had always wanted to see-more action, especially with the Dominion war.

With others, it was just about being different, as far as the cast, and episode matter.

DS9 was less afraid to "go there"- tackle topics or issue that had a controversial ring to it.

So the dialog tend to be more different than with the other treks, perhaps more gritty or insightful.

However I think Voyager too, also had those qualities, thanks to timing.

16. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

There's no MRB in DS9

Magic Reset Button
    No Irritating Borg Kids
    No Irritating Neelix

Just to name a few

17. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great characterizations - even the lowly secondary characters get more development than most of the main cast of the other shows. Nog's arc is a great example of this.

18. star

:lol: Fantastic!

And I have heard that DS9 does great with characterizations. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it develops.

19. Praxius

Praxius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I originally got into Star Trek through TNG.... I was a huge fan of TNG for a number of years and when DS9 came out, I originally wasn't all that impressed and felt it was slow going.... that the station environment wouldn't produce much entertainment.

Seasons 1 and 2 are a little dry, but so were TNG's first 2..... I think that's why I never originally gave it much of a chance.

But by Season 3 and especially when the Dominion come into the storyline, the show takes off beyond anything I seen in TNG or Voyager..... and while I still appreciate TNG and still love the characters.... DS9's characters evolved so much better, we're more deep, more involving, there was more dry humor and sarcasm, better action scenes, the stories were more solid..... and the fact that one Season 4 kicks in, it becomes a back to back story, episode wise.... where one ends and you want to know what happens next.

By the time Voyager came in, I already delved full into DS9 and didn't have much time or patience to get into Voyager's stories...... for the last couple of months, I've just finally decided to get into Voyager and see the entire series, where I kind of avoided it or just didn't follow along for all these years. I'm currently into Season 7 now and while it's still entertaining, I feel it just doesn't suck me in like what TNG or DS9 did.

That's why DS9 it top dog for me.... TNG a very very close second, Voyager 3rd.

Try and muddle through the first two seasons, by the time you get into the 3rd, things start moving faster..... and by the time you get to the end of Season 7, you'll be sad it's over.

I introduced my wife to Star Trek by taking her to see the new movie.... she was impressed, but still felt Star Trek was for nerds and losers..... which honestly, I originally thought as well until I got into TNG. Shortly after watching the movie, I figured I'd suck her into Star Trek too..... so I got her to watch DS9.

She wasn't all that impressed at the first, but there still were episodes she liked and things she found comical like Odo and Quark's relationship...... eventually though, she got right into the characters and the story line..... and by the end, she was literally sad it was over.

I then introduced her to TNG, and while she enjoyed a number of shows and most of the characters, it didn't pull her in like DS9, and unfortunately with Voyager and us being in Season 7..... she's still not all that impressed with it and actually is hoping it'll be over soon.

I also tried to get her into Enterprise, but she just can't stand it..... give it time I suppose.

Added:

I almost forgot something:

The other thing that turned me off when I first started to watch DS9 was that to me at the time, it seemed to focus all on the Bajorans and their religious beliefs..... something that seemed alien to me in Star Trek.... but after the first two seasons and after they finally situate the Bajorans, who they are, what their beliefs are, their history and conflicts, their religious beliefs etc.... they jump right into everything around them and what eventually makes Deep Space Nine such an extremely important station for not just Starfleet/Federation, but the entire Alpha Quadrant.

And the thing I gradually picked up on about the Bajorans and their religious beliefs, is that in DS9, they explain those religious beliefs in a way that fits into the Star Trek universe, and as a religion that seems feasibly and logically realistic and very possible in our own reality..... they worship beings that are actually tangible and not just based on stories passed down from word of mouth. When the series begins, you're just like Sisko being the doubter and non-believer..... yet the way the series unfolds..... well.... I won't spoil it for you.... you'll see how it all evolves.

They gradually tone down the religious aspect after the first two seasons, but the Bajorans and their beliefs remain a very key role in the overall DS9 Story arc, all the way to the final episode..... and while I'm no longer a religious person, their beliefs actually make sense to me (to a degree of course)

20. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

While most people agree that season 1 and 2 of DS9 were a little slow, even then, they had some great eps. "Duet" was phenomenal, and the Circle Trilogy (Season 2 opener) was great. Though there were some stinkers too. If you're watching DS9 from beginning to end, may I suggest you skip over the season 1 episode entitled "Move Along Home?" Seriously, just don't watch it. I still can't get that damn rhyme out of my head ...