Futuristic Horror Movies?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I believe Resident Evil IV is animated and about Zombies on a Spaceship

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Huh? Resident Evil IV the game is set in the present day, Resident Evil: Afterlife features no spaceships and set in the present day too.

Degeneration and Damnation (the CGI movies) are pretty contemporary too.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clive Barker has said that he wants to write the ultimate, absoutely final Hellraiser film where they completely and unequivocally kill off Pinhead for good this time, without the slightest possibility of bringing him back. I wonder if he's still working on that.

That being said, my favorite was the third film, I just got majorly creeped out by actually watching people being turned into Cenobites (and of course the nightclub massacre :eek: :eek: ).

And of course Terry Farrell. :adore:

Side note: Is there ANY truth to the rumor that Pinhead was supposed to appear in the final moments of Freddy vs. Jason? Supposedly he would have broken up a fight between them and calmly asked, "Gentlemen...what seems to be the problem?" :devil:

4. Sindatur

Hmmm. Degeneration was what i was thinking of, but, yea, that was a blunder :alienblush:

I wonder what I am mixing it up with :shrug:

5. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

Alright, thanks!

I really enjoyed Daybreakers as well. I'd love to see something similar to this as well!

6. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  7. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, Pinhead dies for good in the film Bloodline. Barker has finished work on a novel called The Scarlet Gospel, which is going to also kill him off forever, and has recently submitted it to his publisher. Sadly though, he's left it so long that it almost seems pointless killing off Pinhead forever, as the franchise has been essentially dead for years and years.

I've heard this many times, but I don't fully buy it. Did they really think they'd be able to get the rights?

Freddy vs Jason has a lot to like about it, but is hindered by a cast of victims that are the worst in any slasher I've seen. Apart from scream queen Katherine Isabelle from the Ginger Snaps trilogy.

8. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not futuristic, but you might enjoy The Thing.

Lifeforce. Would Lifeforce qualify? It's got vampirism after all.

9. Sindatur

Hmmm...Maybe Dead Space was what I was thinking of.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i had always heard that rumor about Pinhead in Freddy vs Jason as well. i recently watched Crystal Lake Memories, a seven hour documentary about the films and they didn't mention this when they discussed alternate endings.

11. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

12. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As much as I'd have loved it, being a huge Hellraiser boffin, I just can't see the Weinsteins allowing New Line Cinema to use Pinhead.

I've marathoned the entire series of nine films twice within the past 2 months. Actually, I skipped Hellworld the second time. Even my fandom has its limits. ;)

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder what legal loopholes they had to go through to get Pinhead on The Tonight Show.

(Yep, you read that right. Leno complained of a hangnail, which Pinhead took great interest in...)

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Pinhead vs Freddy makes more sense to me in that they can at least exchange verbal barbs as well.

I always thought of Pinhead as rather like Charles Emerson Winchester from MASH, with Freddy being more Hawkeye Pierce, a working class villain. Jason and Michael Myers have more in common--save for who owns the rights...

I've always wanted to see a movie set in Hell, with all these characters together.

It would be rather like DC's PREACHER, with a little Ghostbusters added.

The idea of belief made manifest interests me.

The idea is that a maelevolent god and hell did not exist before people believed in it--with books like LEFT BEHIND actually becoming likely in that the more people who believe makes such gruesome things actually horrifically real.

Enough serial killers believed in the idea that, the more you kill, the more you have control.

So Freddy and Pinhead have this Dante's Inferno type adventure, where the high rulers of Hell are sadly the warmongers of the 20th Century. They become anti-heros, as a Lovecraftian entity threatens to overwhelm them all.

Here, there are no dead teenagers, but a lot of dialog, and action in fighting demons and the like, and actually wind up saving our world...inadvertantly of course.

In terms of futuristic horror, I'd like to see a cautionary tale anthology involving near future threats.

In the 2020s, an A-380 hits the Sears Tower and a new Islamo-phobia is had. A heroic woman is sent to investigates whole towns of folks diasppearing in Russia, with mysterous diseases that are too targeted. A Bering Strait tunnel is used to asphyixiate dissidents by the train-load. In the US, a gun-powder eating micro-organism is released--the only truly effective gun-control method.

The end result, anarchy and vast waves of violent crime, and new feudalism

15. ReadyAndWilling

I've already seen Pandorum and I liked it quite a bit!

16. ReadyAndWilling

Hey guys, while I certainly appreciate all the suggestions, none of the responses seem to be what I'm looking for.

I want a movie or TV show where there is a completely logical character like Data from TNG who is trying to solve something that appears to be the work of the supernatural or fantasy like vampires and demons. As I said, I love the episode 'Genesis' from season 7 of TNG where Data works to solve something that seems impossible and how he uses his logical way of thinking to solve the problem. Or, even the episode 'Time's Arrow' where Data is thrown into an unfamiliar era and how he needs to first analyze his predicament, then come up with a solution and then finally carry out that solution.

Also, in the movie 'Lost in Space' I love how the robot is exploring the spacecraft that's infested with those alien spiders and says "I'm detecting motion." Or, even something like the movie 'Prometheus' where the android David works to solve the problems they encounter. The episode 'Self-Made Man' from the Sarah Connor Chronicles was awesome, too. I really love how, like Data, the T-888 is sent back in time and he needs to try to logically come up with a solution to his difficult predicament. I find it great how he doesn't moan and complain and he accepts his situation and goes about solving it. I love the aspect of how he's a rugged individual.

I'd love to see something related to time travel like the two examples I just gave.

Are there any TV shows or movies that match this criteria?

Thank you!

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Just pickup the 1990's version of the Outer Limits. You'll find plenty of episodes that match your various requests.

18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess the most popular ones would be Event Horizon, Sunshine, Alien, and Prometheus. A lot of stuff that tries to mix the two is terrible

19. ReadyAndWilling

Hey bro, thanks for your suggestion, but I already love this show!

I've only seen maybe one third of it though because I only watched the episodes I first read about.

Thanks!

20. ReadyAndWilling

Thanks!

I've seen all of those except for 'Sunshine'. Is 'Sunshine' any good? I don't want to finish watching the trailer because I have a feeling I'll get spoiled.