creepy encounters with cashiers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by sonak, Jun 22, 2013.

1. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a good rule of thumb to be polite to people in public places, even the stupid ones.

That said, the general public is why I try not to go into retail stores during peak business hours. Or at all, if I can avoid it.

I have trouble being polite to stupid people. :lol:

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You must adore internet shopping then.

3. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whatever would give you that idea?

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was in our local grocery store [during the election season last year]. I was in the express checkout line when a black, older woman wearing an Obama knit cap jumped the line right in front of me. When I told her I was already in line, she informed me that had only stepped out to find another item. She had evidently taken her cart with her, of which I reminded her. She loudly proclaimed that she paid her taxes and had every right to be there. [I guess it didn't matter that I pay my taxes, too!]

Even the other customers told her she was being rude. I told her that she should be ashamed of herself and that she made the rest of us who voted for President Obama look bad. Then, before she could reply, I told her to please stop embarrassing us and replace that hat with a Romney one!

To her credit, the cashier told her to get behind me so she could check out customers who were in line before her. The old hag left in a huff! Score one for good manners.

FAIR NOTICE OF PROPER CREDIT DUE: I was telling my godson about this thread. He told me to post this incident, because I had told him about it at the time.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think you'll find a fair few cashiers will send someone to the back of the queue for queue jumping if they spot it.

Queue jumping is of course a big no-no (in the UK).

6. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

I'm glad she didn't bring up because she African American and the past, Ive heard a few that will bring that up in such conflicts.

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

What does the fact that she was black have to do with anything? There are rude people of every skin color. Don't make it a racial issue.

8. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

that would be nice. I've never seen a cashier do that where I'm from, they just tend to ignore it and take whover approaches them. Of course, in the US you have to be aware that any customer you potentially get into a fight with has a gun, which is less of a factor in the UK.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I like it when a person in line sees that I'm buying only a couple of items and allows me to go ahead of them. Happens quite often. I always thank them at least twice.

11. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I like to see people do that, too, and I occasionally do it myself.

Kudos to the cashier!

But I'm wondering why you specified the race of the customer. The Obama hat, I get. It's part of the story. But her race?

12. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why does race have to be part of the story for it to be mentioned? It helps paint a picture of the scene. That's not necessarily "making it a racial issue". Her age isn't really relevant either. Nor is her gender, I mean sure we are kind of stuck with the gendered pronouns, but why draw attention to it by saying "woman" instead of "person"?

I get and agree with the complaint if we're talking about actual speech if someone said the same thing but with obvious overemphasis on the word "black", but it just seems like in this case you're reading it with that emphasis where it might not actually be intended.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite part was "old hag".

14. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I stopped reading as soon as I saw that the cashier did the right thing, so I didn't even see that! :lol:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Bit of a WTF/H at the Wal-Mart couple hours ago: Checking out, cashier asked about something to take care of sunburns, the proceeds to pull her shirt collar down to show myself and the others in line how bad her shoulders and upper chest got burned yesterday.

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

her upper chest, huh? How far down did she pull her shirt, and how "upper chest" was it?;)

17. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

hmmm I wonder too, there use to be a young female cashier that would give male customers hugs. I was lucky enough to get a hug from her. ;):cool:

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Far enough you could see the top of her bra.

19. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

That not that bad.

20. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had many creepy encounters as a cashier.