Who cleans up everyone's quarters after each space battle?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Hikaru_Ichijo, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

The ships have crew compliments in the hundreds or thousands, yet critical functions seem to be handled entirely by the half dozen or so people in the opening credits. I guess the rest of them have to do something to keep themselves busy when they're not getting killed on away missions.

somebuddyX likes this.
  2. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    I always thought this too.

In fact, instead of toilets I could just imagine you step into a booth and all waste is beamed out of you.

4. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kinda brings up a different meaning to 'matter stream'.

5. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    I had this discussion with friends back in high school, so we're talking maybe 1986.

I remember we all concluded that after many thousands of years of this that human beings might evolve to the point where anuses start to seal up.

We were REALLY into Star Trek back then!

ED-209 likes this.
  6. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Well in The Measure of a man Data opened up drawers to get stuff out. Perhaps each room has book shelves and places for nick-knacks, pictures and books, but they have a sliding door that covers them by default. That would keep a lot of stuff in ones quarters out of sight and safe while in battle. If those compartments are open, once Red Alert is started they could close automatically.

McCoy seemed to have as much trouble as the bridge during Journey to Babel. What did he say to Kirk? Are you through shaking the ship around? So I would think if it's a powerful enough hit to rock the bridge all the ship rocks. I don't think having extra strength SIF to certain areas to be a very good idea. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the whole ship is rocking every which way, and one section stays still, wouldn't the area just outside the SIF start bending, then maybe buckle and fail faster than if it shook with the whole ship?

And as for really cleaning up quarters that would be engineering and all ships personnel (except maybe the command staff and Medical) responsibility. Replacing fallen lights, restore power, getting those I beams that fall out someone's room would be a ship wide responsibility.

7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the 24th century. We no longer tolerate Brownie racism. :rofl:

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Supposedly the ship wouldn't be shaking unevenly, only the things inside it. The SIF would keep everything about the hull of the ship rigid and strong (until it didn't, and the ship was lost) - but the IDF would fail here and there, so that Kirk might be thrown across the bridge but the extra, just 4.7 meters away, who wasn't paying attention to the director's cue would be left standing.

OTOH, our TNG heroes did apply extra SIF on the nacelles in "The Chase", and this didn't shear them off the rest of the ship when the Cardassians fired on them.

Timo Saloniemi

9. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

ROTFLMAO because.... it's exactly the kind of thing my group and I would have come up with back in the day! :guffaw:

10. Hikaru_Ichijo

Hikaru_Ichijo Commander Red Shirt

At long last, we finally see the debut of Starfleet roombas in "If Memory Serves" on Discovery :lol:

Tim Thomason and F. King Daniel like this.
  11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

somebuddyX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.