(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

That is very interesting, thanks. I had no idea, as an aside, that Udinese were so 'small' a club in comparison to other Serie A sides.

By the way, how do you feel about Bendtner joining your team on loan? He's not exactly been endearing himself to the fans has he?

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'd still debate whether a process that has worked in the Spanish leagues will neccesarily work in the championship, and there's still something to be said for building a team ethos rather than just throwing a bunch of players together (exhibit A see Paul Jewell's Ipswich) and additionally breaking into a first team as a youngster can be daunting enough without going to another country to do it, especially one where the style of play is so different, I imagine the Spanish league is far more similar to the Italian therefore the change of location will be less jarring.

Open to being proved wrong, but I think Watford will finish the season closer to the bottom of the league than the top.

By the way, anyone see this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19487663

I realise Blackburn are second at the moment, but again I have a hunch the wheels will come off eventually, and this article sums Kean, the Venkys, the entire ethos of the club perfectly.

3. HappyDayRiot

I am astonished he is still in the job. Seriously astonished. He must be favourite for the sack by now.

The table is meaningless for the first 10-12 games. But this just cements my promotion-or-bust comment of last week. The man is a complete charlatan, a PR man taking a big cut out of their finances along with the owners. He is unsackable. And I think it will tell around Christmas, and they will cease to be an automatic promotion candidate. They may also cease to be in business.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think Kean knows he will never get another job in football if (when) he's sacked, so he will cling on to the bitter end. I also suspect he isn't self aware enough to realise any of his faults. It is definitely promotion or bust.

I think the Ipswich chairman is just too loyal. He gave Keane too long as well.

5. HappyDayRiot

^ A week and a half on, Steve Kean is top of the league. God help us all.

Some very tasty fixtures in the Champions League this week - an imploding Real against Man City, who've yet to really get going, and Chelsea at home to Juventus. Let's hope Chelsea play some actual football this year to defend their trophy, and that could be a very good game to watch.

I just learnt, too, that Galatasaray have a number of ex-Premier League players in their ranks - Milan Baros, Albert Rieira, Johan Elmander and Emmanuel Eboue all play there now. I think we can all agree that that one isn't going to be a goalfest when Man United play tomorrow :D

6. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right choice of words there - Chelsea will be no doubt looking to defend their title.....

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

With Derby ever keep a clean sheet this season, place bets now.

Clough seems to have turned into Ossie Ardiles...

8. Angel4576

Don't mind how many goals we concede, providing we keep scoring one more than they do! :lol:

9. HappyDayRiot

A fine day's football yesterday:

History at Old Trafford. Did anyone ever believe any number of leads would be enough for Spurs until the whistle finally went? I wouldn't have believed they were safe if they had had a 5 goal lead in the 85th minute but there we go, it's Spurs!
    Does any manager express his joy at winning as emphatically as AVB?
    Arsenal and Chelsea spending 90 minutes seeing whose weaknesses would show up first. A fine goal from Torres.
    City pulling it out the fire. Again. They're becoming more like their neighbours by the week, aren't they?
    Norwich and Southampton showing why they are going down before the trees have leaves again.
    Demba Ba scoring both an incredible running volley and with a volleyball-style slap shot. Shameless!
    Blackpool, possibly the best team in the division, put to the sword at the Cardiff City Stadium. Glorious. Maybe promotion really is just a red kit away after all ;)

And now Forest v Derby where nothing ludicrous, insane or out of the ordinary will happen at all....

10. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Football is so great right now !*

The 1st period of Valenciennes-Marseille is over and Marseille (leader of the Ligue 1) is losing 3-0. Everything is of course possible during the 2nd period but for the moment, just a week before the classico Marseille-Paris, it's very exiting.

* since the sorry excuse for a team we had in Paris was bought by Santa Claus.

Edit : 4-1 for Valenciennes, it's good, it's very very good :evil:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Always nice when refs influence a result :rolleyes: red card my arse.

12. Angel4576

Makes up for two disallowed goals by Twatwell. What comes around......

That's how you beat 10 men. ;)

13. HappyDayRiot

Do Derby get to keep the Brian Clough Trophy now - that's three in a row isn't it?

Shaytan - always good to see a thumping win over the bigger sides. Are you concerned PSG are just going to romp to the title now though? After the first three games where they looked like a complete shambles, they seem to be hammering everyone in sight these last couple of weeks. Ominous for this season and more to come? Will anyone do a Montpellier and stop them (because Montpeillier certainly won't on current form, sadly).

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

:techman: It is indeed!

15. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Especially against Marseille but I'm biased ;)

As a parisian, no I'm not concerned ;)
    But it's still only the beginning of the year and everything can happen. There is always some surprise after the winter break.

On sunday, it's Marseille against Paris, the 1st of the Ligue 1 against the 2nd and THE French clasico. And because it's not enough : PSG-Marseille on the next round of the Coupe de la ligue.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  16. HappyDayRiot

^ Cheers!

Note to self, next time questioning footballing allegiances, check user's location ;)

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Edgar Davids becomes co-manager of Barnet, huh, things I never saw coming...

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

so how many goals will England score tonight :p

My guess 8-0.

19. HappyDayRiot

Divide that number by 0 to find out how many Wales and Scotland score between them.

Really though, I doubt England will get more than 6.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Jesus Christ you seen the scenes after ENG U21 beat Serbia in the playoffs. UEFA you plan on doing something about racists some day?