The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They use space suits when submerged in water for training for Zero-G missions.

If present-day spacesuits can easily deal with a fluid environment, then the extemes and rigours of warp travel, interstellar environments, Ion storms, extreme gravity (such as a "black star" or black hole), Quasar-like objects (The Galileo Seven) and giant amoebas among other strange, unpredictable situations, taking a trip in a Class-M planetary ocean body should not be too much of a stretch.

It should also be noted that the ship is known to survive extremely low orbital flight, as Captain Christopher and some US Air Force personnel can attest. :)

This kind of situation would likely prompt scotty to worry about the effects on his "Poor Bairns".

2. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never said Nero's incursion didn't cause a timeline split, I just raised the possibility that there might have been earlier splits that had already diverged from what we call the "prime" timeline. Nothing in the last Trek film contradicts that possibility and quite a few things support it. Of course, only Spock Prime would know for sure.

Except a lot of basic technology apparently took a giant leap backward in the Prime timeline subsequent to 2233 if everything was the same up until then. I don't just mean it didn't advance as quickly, it went backwards, i.e. graphical computer interfaces and touch-screen displays. Yes, of course this is merely the cinematic expression of a half-century difference between the making of TOS and the current movies, but if you want an in-universe way of explaining it, an earlier point of divergence might do it.

Plus I just think it would be cool if the NuTrek timeline was actually our own future, since the Prime timeline no longer can be.

3. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

I just realized that as well!! Woo Hoo!!!!!:)

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The Temporal Cold War changed history and eliminated lens flare from 23rd Century Starfleet history.

F***in' Daniels.

5. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

Not quite. The suits that NASA uses in the zero-gravity tank are made of specific fabrics and metals to withstand the continued use in water. Only the shape, weight, and resistance factors are mimicked to help train the astronauts.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

There's time, they can be added in post. There were some implied lens flares for sure.

7. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Also in TOS they had an entire city floating on antigravity. They were impressed but not flabbergasted by it. Also in TNG they showed Galaxy class ships being build on Mars

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea. We can make Submarines today, and they don't seem to undergo the level of stress as launching a shuttle into orbit. Surely Traveling at Warp 9 or better has got to put more stress on a ship than being submerged in water??? :confused:

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd just die if I went to see the Hobbit and didn't get to see the trailer.

11. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why didn't I think of Stratos?

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The holoship was the size of the entire Ba'ku village! And it was the shape of a brick!

The Enterprise is not some tin can in space. It goes faster than the speed of light, it flies through gas giants, space amoebas, nebulas. It falls into black holes, wormholes, black stars, gets hit by antimatter warheads almost routinely. And you think some H2O is beyond it's abilities?

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll never get how some fans can accept a new Kirk and Spock but balk at the Enterprise herself being recast, so to speak. It's the same future through different eyes.

And we already got one unbelievable techonological hike explained away in-universe as a "refit" in 1979. This time the writers wave their hands and say "scans of Nero's ship"

14. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Two words: Structural Integrity Field
    With addition of Shields.

15. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not balking at anything. I might have made some different stylistic choices here and there but I'm basically fine with the "recasting" of the ship.

However, the entire plot of the last Trek film was built around the idea of rebooting the franchise while providing an in-universe rationalization for the reboot. I'm only doing the same thing, speculating that one explanation for all the other changes is that the timeline actually diverged from the Prime timeline a lot earlier than Nero. As I said, it's just a pet theory for my own amusement, but I think it's foolish for people to run around and declare absolutely that everything was exactly the same until Nero came along when that could go out the window with a single line of dialogue in the next movie. Not saying it will, but it could.

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL

17. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another mashup has turned up.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xl2yF1yhGU[/yt]

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBHICwlNPQI[/yt]

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral