MLP:FiM S3E12 - "Games Ponies Play" - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Feb 8, 2013.

?

Episode Grade

1. A

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. B

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Episode Title: "Games Ponies Play"
    Episode Air Date: Saturday, February 9th, 2013 / 10:30 AM EST, the HUB

SUMMARY: "In the hopes of proving that the Crystal Empire is more than worthy of being selected as the next venue for the upcoming Equestria Games, Princess Cadence commissions Twilight to work her magic with the deciding Games Inspector."

---------------

"Where do we go from here
    now that all other children are growin' up?
    And how do we spend our lives
    if there's noone to lend us a hand?

I don't wanna live here no more,
    I don't wanna stay
    Ain't gonna spend the rest of my life,
    Quietly fading away

Games people play,
    You take it or you leave it
    Things that they say, Honor Brite
    If I promise you the Moon and the Stars,
    Would you believe it
    Games people play in the middle of the night"

- Alan Parsons Project, "Games People Play"

Yes, ever since I heard the title of the episode, this song has been running through my head non-stop. So, here we are, everypony, down to the wire, only two episodes left. This one, and The One That Shall Not Be Named <peal of thunder>. Anyhoo, this episode has Twilight helping Princess Cadance find the best games for her ponies to play. We get to see the Crystal Empire again (yay!), and we get to see Cadance again (hawt!), so let's watch the episode!

As always, you know the rules. Talk about whatever you want, but all spoilers have to be under spoiler tags until after 5 PM EST, Saturday evening. So, that being said, on to the show!

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Hooray, new pony! :D

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Anyone else watching right now?
    Looks like it's starting where "Just for Sidekicks" began. So we get to see what the Mane 6 were doing. And it looks like Dash doesn't mind having the Equestrian equivalent of the Olympics in Cloudsdale, but got gypped.

Since I'm the only pony here at the moment...
    We're learning a bit more about Crystal Empire traditions. And Rarity is going to be pushed a bit... as long as she doesn't end up in tears over the weaving.

ETA: I WATCHED ALONE!!! *cries like Rarity confronted with Twilight's bird's nest*

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I was up super late last night, so I slept in. Sorry. Plus I wasn't at all excited for this episode, because ugh crystal empire.

But...wow, that was really fun. One of the best of the season so far. Good use of the mane cast, good use of Cadance and Shining Armor, excellent Pinkie Pie gags, and a premise ripped from Fawlty Towers. What's not to like? Okay, I could pick nits with how the crystalness of the crystal ponies sill doesn't make any sense, or gripe that once again the special wonderfulness of the crystal empire is praised by all characters because BUY THE TOYS, PARENTS, but eh. I liked it.

5. Amaris

Loved it. I wasn't sure what to expect for this episode, but I was very entertained.

Twilight learning how to handle pressure was a nice little twist. I can only assume this is getting her prepped for the next episode, which does answer the question of "Will Alicorn Twilight accidentally OCD Equestria to death?" What's nice is it seems that Cadance has been the one teaching her to relax, which makes sense since Cadance is closer to her age anyway (probably), and seems to be taking up the older sister role very well.

It was great to see Shining Armor again, and we get to see some of that Captain of the Guard personality come through even when he's more casual.

I liked the tourist. Felt bad for her apparent claustrophobia (been there), but she seemed like a fun character overall. Ms. Harshwhinny wasn't as bad as her reputation preceded her, which is all too common, so she wasn't just some one dimensional antagonist, which was nice.

Rarity getting an opportunity to show she can do so many things, and that she finally gets her chance to work for royalty in a big event. Seeing her stress out over what appears to be a failure, yet she still manages to pull off quite, er, handily, shows that she is more than just a drama queen.

Filly Dashie standing on what we assume to be her father's back waving a Cloudsdale flag just about gave me a round of diabeetus, and then her interactions with the little crystal empire filly were adorable.

Finally, it was all nicely rounded up into a nice tuck-in story, which is a nice little story telling technique that seems to work well for this episode (and the previous one).

I gave it an "A". :D

6. Count Zero

That was awesome. I really didn't expect this to be the other side of last week's episode (although I suppose I could have guessed that) and it nicely tied in with it all.
    Lots of fun scenes and gags and all the ponies got something to do and show their character. I especially loved Rarity. Twilight learning to be more relaxed about things was a nice touch. Dashie getting obsessed with the Empire getting the games was hilarious to watch.
    I appreciated how the writers brought in a character that has issues (claustrophobia) and treated this condition in a respectful yet entertaining way.

I don't care what anyone else says - I like the crystal ponies. After all, they're ponies made out of crystal! - as Rarity put it in the first episode it featured. Plus, it's crystally. :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  7. Gepard

When Dashie picked up that crystal filly early in the episode, I found myself wanting a gag where somepony drops one and it shatters. Too dark for kids, I'm sure. :lol:

8. Count Zero

Not just for kids...

9. Peach Wookiee

I love it when Rarity panics! :D Solid A! :D

10. Gepard

All the ponies stare in horror for a moment, then it magically reforms and shouts "Whee! Let's go again!" :p

11. Count Zero

That's better. :)

12. Amaris

Agreed, much better. :D

13. Gepard

[​IMG]

Amazing. :lol: I had the same thought.

14. Count Zero

Yeah, me, too. I was kinda waiting for Dash to explain that it didn't happen because normal ponies can't walk on clouds in her first explanation. :D But it's possible that there's a way to make Cloudsdale ponyproof that we don't know of.

15. Peach Wookiee

Maybe they send different ponies, and Ms. Harshwhinny looks a little young...

16. Count Zero

By the way, I'm mightily excited we got to see Dashie's Dad. Also, Doctor Whooves is in the crowd in Cloudsdale in the beginning of the episode. I approve.

17. Gepard

"Rainbow Dad" needs to be his name.

This is the first episode in quite a while that I've watched twice on the same day. Haven't done that since, oh, Magic Duel, I think. Good times. Goooooood times.

18. Amaris

It's a fun, breezy episode.

19. Gepard

It reminds me a bit of the energy in The Last Roundup, where they keep gags and character beats coming at you fast. That style works really well for this show.

Plus, I'd have a hard time pinning this down as a Rainbow, Rarity or Twilight episode – and that's a good thing. They haven't used an A/B/C story structure in a long, long time and I missed it. The show is better when it juggles multiple character arcs as opposed to focusing on one pony and using the others for exposition or killing time.

20. Amaris

As a longtime fan of both the Monty Python series', and the Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker movies, I heartily agree!