Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah yeah, I remember that lawsuit from a few years ago. This seems more complicated that the stupid Macross stuff with Harmony Gold. :lol:

And zakkrusz, I guess I can't blame you if you like the series. The box sets are pretty premium at least... god knows I spent 800 bucks on Star Trek TNG on DVD way back when. :lol:

2. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have most of the Star Treks too. That would be another $300 down the hole though in order to get the remaining one and rectify that. I suppose I will eventually. It's kinda a hassle to plan and set aside the leisure cash for something expensive like that though. I don't like to do it often. In fact I wouldn't do it unless what I was buying was an "A" ranked series. Usually I just have monthly DVD Collecting budget I stick to.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. firehawk12

Well, I'm rebuying TNG on BD, so that's another 600 bucks down the drain over the next couple of years.

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks to a friend I've managed to see the first ten episodes, and whoa.

I admit I've been burned out on anime for several years, but this has really gotten me hooked. Not sure if I should talk about it in detail though. Don't want to spoil it for anyone. But defenately get it if you have a chance. Its like reliving my childhood, but without the embarrassing dialog and even worse science.

5. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Maybe a bit less...they just did a price drop on the BD for S2 to ~$60 I read...that would make all 7 seasons around $420 or so.

Still too much IMO, but I seem to be of a minority opinion.

6. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The trailer for Chapter 4 (Episodes 11-14) was released today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctmO-z08LdM

Looks like plenty of action this time around.

Also Gamilon warships engaging Comet Empire warships somewhere on their frontier.
    Plus Gamlon subspace dimensional submarine attack on Yamato.

That Gamilas got all the really good older male actors.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  7. Cutter John

So it really is possible to remake a classic without screwing it up.

Hear that Hollywood?

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So basically Domeru is telling the sorting algorithm of evil to go screw itself. :eek:

9. firehawk12

Man, this next batch of episodes looks great.

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Already Pre-ordered the 4th Bluray disc (with english subtitles) from CD Japan about a day after receiving Bluray disc 3 back on Nov. 30, 2012.

Really looking forward to the Feb, 22, 2013 release date (they're really good about shipping as soon as it's released in Japan); just wish is could be sooner.:scream::techman::)

11. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh well, I'm nearly 50 and every time I see this thread bump I start to hear the theme song in my head. It's such an infectious series...

12. firehawk12

Random question - I don't suppose the commentaries are subbed on those discs?

13. Ithekro

They are not.

Only the episodes themselves are subtitled in English. Everything else is just in Japanese.

14. Cutter John

Which is a shame. If we don't get a subbed American release, then heres hoping someone will at least post a transcript online.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Learn japanese.

16. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Watched the first few episodes of this finally - I really dig it. The computer animation is actually really slick and the story update changes so far have been solid. Good to see a classic get such great treatment.

17. firehawk12

Most of the licensors don't bother with the extras anyway.

But, it makes sense that they didn't bother subbing the commentaries and whatever extra stuff may be on the sets I suppose.

18. Ithekro

Information that is coming out later (a ship scale chart that probably won't be out for a month) suggests that Dommel's flagship is super huge. More so than I expected. Like nearly twice as long as Yamato.

He is also getting his saucer shaped SMITE ship later in the series.

We have still not seen the Battle Carrier redesign.

I am wondering what happens to his fleet. In the original he was just stripped of his command due to failure and the lose of Balan, yet his flagship and fleet were as far as we know, untouched by Yamato. Yet when he confronts them again, instead of 3,000 warships, he has five.

19. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope there is a english dub version soon.

-Chris

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I'd love one as well (assuming they kept to the script they have for the English subtitles on the region free Blurays as much as they can - as it's well done so far); I honestly wouldn't expect anything such as that in the near future (say 1 - 3 years) :(

[If I thought that would be the case; and we'd get dubbed Blurays released directly in the U.S.; I wouldn't be direct ordering from japan at a cost (with shipping) of about $106.00 U.S. a disc. :eek:)