New Making of TMP book

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Khan 2.0, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I'm in the same boat as you. Hoping that this is worth it, because if it is, sounds dynamite.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Did you like all of Cinefantastique's double issues over the decades? I don't recall too many flops. Even "The Black Hole" CFQ articles were great, despite the film being rather ho hum.

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If I recall correctly I have about three of those covering TNG. I enjoyed those, but I think you're confusing me with a more dedicated fan. :p

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I've re-bought nearly every old double-issue at least once in the last 10 years (I have a tendency to wear these things out, actually bought a complete set of the first 20 years from ebay for less than 150 bucks in 1988), and I just love reading them. Doesn't matter if the movie sucks (actually, reading these lets you know WHY, especially in case of TBH.)

Towards the end, right before Clarke's suicide, CFQ was really screwing up, even the cover would have typos, like an article on THE PHANTOM MENACE being listed as PHANTOM EMPIRE.

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Set a price point that allows you to make a reasonable margin on a single book, then open up your pre-release sales using that price. Then base your print run on the number of orders you actually receive. Your cost per unit shouldn't go up with more units printed (if it changes at all, it should decrease), so you should still be making your margin on any sales over the 1000 estimate. Since you're printing based on actual purchases, you don't end up with a stockpile of unsold items, but you're also not artificially limiting your purchases. Why wouldn't they want to sell 1500 copies vs. 1000, if they could?

6. Therin of Andor

And that may well be their plan. Unless they number the books, we wouldn't necessarily know if they made 1000 or 2000. Or 1000 "limited edition" and the rest "second printing".

But an announcement of a limited run certainly prompts people to take action. To say there was no limit, and/or no need for haste, would encourage people to become complacent and never get aroun to ordering.

7. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

f**k it.

ordered

8. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dang!!

I think I ordered this but can't remember, lol. It wouldn't be the first time that I order 2 of the same item. :)

9. Khan 2.0

nice you could put one on ebay and make a killing

10. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I expect we'll get notification that Creature Features will be sending these out in the next few weeks. Looking forward to it.

11. One Lucky Red Shirt

One Lucky Red Shirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just waiting for October. Preordered my copy awhile back. This book made me go to ebay and pick up all the Cinefantastique issues on the TOS movies!! Very good stuff

12. Khan 2.0

The CFQ ST movie issues were the most essential bit of memorabilia for each film (the official starlog movie magazines were nice to look at but didn't have much in the way of behind the scenes stuff)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  13. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really irritated that they are only selling publisher-direct. All the earmarks of the most disreputable kind of subsidy publishing.

14. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

If this had been released in the early 80s, that's one thing, but this topic is nichey. Even lots of fans of old Trek are not that fond of TMP. A coffeetable book about Into Darkness can get into Barnes & Noble. This can't.

15. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Awww, man, I can't wait.

I've always been really curious about the making of TMP. Shatner's Movie Memories really made the behind-the-scenes story of the film quite tantalizing. I enjoyed Susan Sackett's "Making of" book too, but that book avoided the Roddenberry vs. Livingston battles. (Which is understandable since it was probably designed to promote the film).

16. Khan 2.0

Cinefantastiques coverage of the Trek movies was simply excellent/second to none. I've purchased all of them (as well as all TOS and TNG issues) - Star Trek II/Blade Runner issue, II/III/IV trilogy issue, VI issue (my fave which was the first one I bought at the time of VIs release), there wasnt one for V (not sure why? maybe it wasn't deemed worthy enough?), also Generations, FC, Insurrection but then I think CFQ ended before Nemesis. Was always wondering why there wasn't one for TMP. this book sounds like it will be similar to ‘Charting the Undiscovered Country: The Making of Trek VI’ by Ed Gross/Mark Altman which was based on the superb Trek VI issue and is one of the best Trek books IMO (along with The Making of the Trek Films book which also adapated the CFQ issues..but which was obviously lacking in TMP section - in fact they address this in the intro of the book saying TMP would be covered in the huge 3 volume 'Return to Tomorrow: The Filming of TMP' which would be out soon. This was the 1992 edition!)

More info on the lost TMP CFQ here
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Cinefantastique

info on the Making of Trek VI and the Making of the Trek Movies books:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Charting_the_Undiscovered_Country:_The_Making_of_Trek_VI
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Making_of_the_Trek_Films

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  17. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I placed my order for the TMP book. I normally wouldn't want to pay quite so much, but the limited run of 1000 made me nervous that I would miss out.

During the 80s and 90s, I didn't read too much behind-the-scenes lit. My limited budget was used for more in-universe content like the novels or technical manuals. However now that I'm experiencing a Trek revival, the behind-the-scenes dirt is more appealing. The more troubled the production, the better.

I had one old Cinefantastique that I primarily purchased for the episode guides and I recently pulled it out to re-read. But then I checked eBay and purchased a bunch of the old Trek themed issues. I'm looking forward to see what I missed.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Thanks for the reminder. As a major TMP buff, I couldn't stand to miss this book. So I pre-ordered.

19. One Lucky Red Shirt

One Lucky Red Shirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes i also had picked up the cinefantastique issue for VI also. Sadly it was my first and only issue i picked up. Loved it and read it a million times. Very good one. Havent read the II issue or the trilogy yet. Also got the 20th and 25th anniversary issues. They all look good. Was the generations issue any good?

20. Therin of Andor

IIRC, the issue that previewed ST VI came out a few days before the Australian premiere week for the movie, and I decided to read only the captions under the photos, not the articles. Grave error on my part: it labelled a photo of Kim Cattrall as "the traitor, Valeris"!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014