Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else notice that they did something to the menu that lets you fiddle with the graphics setting.

I hope this comes with season 9 becuase I can get pretty good graphics for STO on a laptop.

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah... they changed the UI a bit.
    Took me a while to figure out how to set a proper renderscale again. It had it set at half value on default which looked like crap.

BTW, we have a launch date for S9: 22nd of April. Just 10 more days.

3. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah the new Maxwell 750ti build, how are you finding it, i still have my old GTX 560 SC which runs very well with my I7 core, but i have been eyeing up a 750ti, they seem to offer cracking bang for your buck.

4. Timelord Victorious

It does what I need very well so far. :)

5. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Question for you more knowledgeable types:

I'm playing a science officer and am obviously planning on getting a pure science vessel for endgame, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good T4/T5 cruiser that's decent for science. The Odyssey Science seems like the obvious, but was wondering about your thoughts (also, I'm in the minority, but I think the Odyssey is kind of ugly, too).

Cost will not be a factor, since I plan to work for the resources to get to the ship anyway, so any suggestions are welcome.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Other than the obligatory "why play as a SCI?" question... ;)

My guess would be either the new Dyson SCI ship, or the Vesta maybe? Seems like the best bang for your buck with powerful ships. Totally depends on what you're going to use for gear, what you have so far, etc. but suspect those are the winners.

Seriously, though, why SCI? Game just isn't geared towards them. It's really a Tank/DPS game, and the other classes aren't locked down too hard, so you make an aggressive tank or tanky DPS machine without too much effort, so SCI being kinda 'ok' at both really doesn't play well. If queues really took teams into account, MAYBE you'd want one SCI per team, but you'd be happier with 4 TACs and an ENG. If you start a STF and see 3-4 SCI, you know the option is likely blown from the start, and maybe even the primary mission if you're playing one that can fail to begin with. in STO, SCI is just the jack of all trades that's not very good at anything.

All my two cents, but worth the conversation. I ran a SCI toon just for completeness, and leveled her to VA, but don't think I did much after that, and haven't kept up with any of the reps or grinds anymore for that one. Just not survivable enough, and can't dish enough damage. You're ok with one or the other, it's a bitch without either...

7. Cyke101

I'm trying Sci because I already have Tac and Eng toons, so I suppose there's the sense of completion like you as well. But I'm finding that I also like playing the support role and lay back while others deal the damage. After all, my Tac and Eng toons already have that part covered. My ultimate plan is to have both a high-end Science ship and a high-end Science/Cruiser hybrid, but need help with the latter.

But to clarify, I'd like recommendations on Cruisers who have a decent bend towards science, not pure-Science vessels - I feel like I can pick pure science on my own and just choose accordingly. I understand that science-leaning cruisers are neither the most versatile nor the toughest by nature, so I'm looking for cruisers with a decent enough mix (Star Cruiser? Odyssey Science? Fleet vs. C-Store options?). So i'm ruling out the Vesta in this question because those are obviously pure science-vessels. Any insights appreciated :)

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Is picking the Vesta with the ENG or TAC leaning not 'close enough' to the cruiser you're looking for? Seems like it should work out. As much as the Oddy kinda sucks, the SCI flavor of that is probably your tank-iest cruiser option...

9. Cyke101

Sorry that this is coming piecemeal and confusing, but to clarify further, my current toon is Sci, so I'm looking for a Cruiser that could make the most of my current toon's sci skillset. A sci toon with a sci cruiser is a given, but for my style, a sci toon on a cruiser would be nice to try out.

10. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Mirror heavy cruiser.
    It's pretty spry for a cruiser, and has LTC sci boff seat. Look for them on the exchange, as they are lockbox ships, but I do not think they are very expensive.

ETA: They go for as low as 150,000 EC!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  11. Timelord Victorious

The Ambassador class is a sciency cruiser. And them there is the stock starcruiser, the mirror starcruiser (with the Sovereign skin) that have a slight science leaning and the Nebula class is a cruisery science ship and a true hybrid really. Very similar would also be the Vulcan D'Kyr. All good options for what you have in mind to different degrees on the cruiser/science scale.

12. Cyke101

Thanks, all. I hadn't really considered the Mirror vessels, so I'll dig around more deeply.

13. Timelord Victorious

Yeah, and have fun playing as a science captain. DPS is not everything. Plus, science is the most fun on ground! ;)

14. Ruaidhri

It's my preference to play to have fun. This is why my KDF Gorn has an all Gorn bridge crew, even though Gorn have no helpful space traits. It's also why my Romulan engineer flies a D'deridex. And why I don't use an A2Battery build, the idea of which seems really boring to me.

It's also why I love PUGs, because there's actually a chance of something getting cocked up.

Of course, if you enjoy min-maxing, then by all means do that. But just have fun in any case.

15. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I have more science officers than tactical officers because I feel it fits my notion of what a Starfleet officer should be.

Yes, my characters all do at least 10k dps (even science officers in science vessels), but I am not dps focused. Most of the dps comes from top end (reputation/fleet/lobi) gear I have earned through playing, combined with knowledge on how to build my ships to deal damage without sacrificing too much on defence and other cool stuff.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Ditto on what the others said about the SCI character.

Not a good class to solo (for me). You won't get much glory, but can be a big boost to a team, even a PUG.

17. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny enough talking about Sci, i was cleaning out my bank and i had a temporal box in it, god knows how long it has been sitting there, i was just about to discard it when i saw i had two keys, so i used them, and bingo, Temporal sci ship. :D

Gave it a go and and yes, Sci is not much on DPS, never was, but you can help the team a lot with gravity well, knocking systems offline, healing and the likes, just don't try and take a tac cube on by yourself. lol

18. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I have to disagree, my sci officers routinely take on tac cubes with ease.

19. Timelord Victorious

Yeah, you might not explode them in 3 seconds, or soak up huge damage, but you can turn those tac cubes into toothless epohh puppies if you want.

20. Ruaidhri

Since I reinstalled the game on my new laptop I can't figure out where my screenshots are going. Does anyone know if ARC sends them to a different location?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.