A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Really? I LOVED him in the second season.

I liked him better than Jon Snow, anyways.

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

John Snow is too humourless. No wonder everyone stabbed him.

3. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I really liked the actor as Stannis.

At first I was a little put off. I kept thinking that he was NOT Stannis, but his performance won me over.

I think he captured Stannis' humorless disposition while bringing the unintentionally hilarious Stannis to life. Some of the best guffaws I got from the books came from Stannis.

Even though the actors playing Jorah and Stannis don't match their characters descriptions, I see them now when I read the books.

For Jon, however, he is still a mental composition. The actor has yet to "stamp" the character for me.

I totally hope that Stannis does look older. In the books, I got the real sense that Renly's death combined with whatever Mel was doing was sucking the life out of Stannis. He became more skeletal to me as the books progressed.

4. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Stannis knows he's sould his soul. He just hasn't admitted it to himself yet.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm quite fond of Stannis' casting, too. I thought he worked well in season two but in general the casting has been excellent. The only character that hasn't been working for me is Jon Snow, a character I liked a lot more in the books.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm don't like the Jon Snow actor at ALL! He is the only weak actor in the cast for me.

But they cast Tryion, Twyin, Jaime, Ayra, and Ned perfectly. I'm fine with one miscast character.

8. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

At a convention yesterday, Martin read two new Barristan Selmy chapters from The Winds of Winter, the second of which describes the battle for Meereen toward which the previously-read Tyrion and Victarion chapters were leading. Detailed descriptions from someone who as at the reading are here.

9. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Thanks for the link. I will have to give it a read.

10. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed, thanks for the link, I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to book 6... has there been any estimations of when it will come out or is GRRM sticking to his guns of not estimating the date because he missed it so badly last time?

11. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

All he's said is that it definitely won't be this year, but next year is still a possibility. (I don't think it's a likely one-- mid-2015 is my personal optimistic estimate-- but you never know.) As of July 2012, he had 200 manuscript pages of complete chapters and another 200 of fragments and rough drafts, out of a planned 1500 or so manuscript pages for the full book. Some of those 200 pages were chapters originally written for A Dance with Dragons but left out due to length, so unless things have picked up since July he's still progressing pretty slowly.

On another note, the Blu-ray and DVD of season two of the TV show comes out tomorrow in the US. Amazon.com has the Blu-ray for $30 and the DVD for $25. I think the prices are the same at Target, which also has an exclusive bonus disc with a 20-minute George R. R. Martin interview.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I have now re-read the entire series (I virtually never read books twice). It's going to be a long wait for The Winds of Winter.

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the rate GRRM is going lets hope he stays alive long enough to finish this thing.

14. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/21/g...-3-trailer-to-premiere-on-jimmy-kimmels-show/

YES :D

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. sidious618

The dragon flying next to the ship was beautiful and just screamed "A Song of Ice and Fire."

17. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Agreed!

Season starts the day after my birthday, so it's a nice present for me from HBO.

18. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, figured as much.

I certainly hope we can avoid both of the two tragic endings I can foresee for this saga.

1) GRRM dies before he finishes writing it.
    2) HBO cancels the show before the adaptation is finished.

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

George is in perfectly decent health for his age and a heck of a nice guy, the fact that his death comes up every other post around here and all around the internet as if everyone expects it any day now is pretty goddamn douchetastic.

20. sidious618

I agree. I've never worried about him dying or something. That's absurd. I also don't like the assumption that if he died the worst part about it would be the fact that the series won't be finished as opposed to how sad it would be that a person, y'know, died.