Project: Potemkin, a Star Trek Fan Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

Beats me. :) But when I'm trying to report on the weekend's shoot, and someone keeps saying, "What camera did you use, what model number?" Well, it struck me as really rude. If Maurice wasn't intending to be that, fine, sorry I snapped. But like I said, we're in the midst of a shoot for the production right now.

Tell me that you're not stressful when you're filming... :D

And Dennis, saw where you'd actually said in additon "Who directs these things? That person should know."

I've only directed two episodes, both filmed with Panasonic DV-900 to shoot them. I couldn't tell you which camera J.T. used for "The Void," which camera Tim Carr used for "Doctor's Orders," which camera Bill Walker used for "Miscommunication", which camera Jeff is using for "Night the Stars Fell from the Sky." It's not my place to know, sorry. I trust the folks who are doing these things. Otherwise, I wouldn't be having them do it in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. Potemkin_Prod

Project: Potemkin has four productions in the works for this summer:

1) "The Void" -- Randy Landers now has the footage captured and is in the process of cataloguing the contents. There are around nine tapes, and he has gotten through around a third of them, creating clips for the edit. It's looking good, and we hope to have a rough cut in about week. Randy did post a couple of pictures to the FaceBook group from the episode.

2) "The Night the Stars Fell from the Sky" -- Shooting will continue on this production Friday morning, June 17th, from 7:00am until just before noon. On hand will be cast members Jeff Green, Christin Woods, Bill MacKenzie and Eric Holt, as well as Randy Landers to handle the camera and Jeremy Landers to handle the boom microphone.

3) "The Devil in the Details" -- Shooting for this vignette, written by David Eversole, will take place on July 9th at One Trick Pony in Albany, Georgia. This episode will feature Doug Harper and a couple of other cast members. Special guest star: John Lenwell, who appeared in Starship Farragut's "Just Passing Through," will be featured as a Klingon bartender. We're inviting all cast members to attend this filming; we'll be having Buffalo Wings, Spicy Meatballs, Chips, Dip and softdrinks. Please make sure it's on your calendar to attend. We'll be posting an RSVP thing soon.

4) "The Lucky One" -- Shooting will take place in the Montgomery area this summer. This episode, featuring Renda Carr as Doctor Maura Drake, is set in our digital sickbay, and will be our first green screen episode. Additional cast members will be officially announced soon. If you'd like to participate in this production, please contact us immediately.

Lastly, Bill Walker is currently working on the final phase of production of "Doctor's Orders." We're hoping to release this vignette, featuring Renda Carr, Doug Harper and Stephanie Burke, by the end of the month. Keep your fingers crossed!

3. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Concerning the chroma-keying for the planned sickbay and engineering vignettes don't forget to have a chat with Rob Caves.
    I don't know how he did it, but back in the day he had a way to preview a rough composite of live action footage and CG background plates during the shoot. This allows the crew to match the camera angles as closely as possible, eliminating possible problems during the post-production stage. And, Rob being Rob, he has probably refined that advantage a lot more since then.

4. Potemkin_Prod

I'll forward this to Renda and recommend she and Tim get in touch with the Hidden Frontiers guys. Tim is familiar with the blue screens because of his work for a local access cable company.

5. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Actually what Rob did was live compositing. All the backgrounds were keyed in live as the shot.

6. Potemkin_Prod

Sort of what the weather forecaster does in front of the green screen? They usually have a monitor as they watch themselves in front of the background.

7. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's an old TV report from 2007, but if you watch it starting from timecode 1:25 you'll see what Nick and I are talking about:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdsH3mZD9GY[/yt]

8. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that's exactly it.

9. Potemkin_Prod

Then we're on the same page. Will pass along this to Tim and Renda Carr. Thanks, guys!

10. Potemkin_Prod

Updates on our four summer productions:

1) "Doctor's Orders" -- Tim Carr (Director) and Renda Carr (Maura Drake) are coordinating with Christy Mullins (who'll be playing a nurse), Jim Brucke and Keith Harris (both of whom will be playing security officers) to try to get "The Lucky One" filmed on an upcoming Saturday when schedules permit. We will let you know once we get the time, date and logisitics of it worked out. They are still looking for extras for the episode which will be shot in one day in the Montgomery, Alabama, area.

2) "The Void" -- Randy Landers has finished cataloguing the clips for this episode. He's now begun work on assembling the episode itself. It's looking good, and we hope to have a rough cut in about a week or two. Randy has posted a couple of pictures to the FaceBook group from the episode.

3) "The Night the Stars Fell from the Sky" -- Shooting will continue on this production Saturday morning, June 25th, from 7:00am until just before noon. On hand will be cast members Jeff Green (Captain Grigory), Christin Woods (Ensign T'Noshi), Bill MacKenzie (Lieutenant Caley), Dennis Proulx (Sarat) and Eric Holt (Kalv), as well as Sara MacKenzie (T'Hima) to handle the camera and Randy Landers to handle the boom microphone. Shooting takes place on Friday and Saturday mornings, 7:00am until 11:00am or so at the Radium Springs Park. The local drought has drastically affected the water levels at the park, but it's definitely adding to the alien-look of the locale. In addition to playing Paral, William Searcy continues to be a tremendous help with taking plenty of pictures which can be found on our FaceBook page.

4) "The Devil in the Details" -- Shooting for this vignette, written by David Eversole, will take place on July 9th at One Trick Pony in Albany, Georgia. This episode will feature Doug Harper (Commander Delaney), Mario Pagan (Lieutenant Yilmaz), Eric Moore (Lieutenant Commander n'Ahman) and Richard Thornton (Lieutenant Frazier). Special guest stars: John Lenwell, who appeared in Starship Farragut's "Just Passing Through," will be featured as a Klingon bartender, and Cassie Martin in a very special role. We're inviting all cast members to attend this filming; we'll be having Buffalo Wings, Spicy Meatballs, Chips, Dip and softdrinks. Please make sure it's on your calendar to attend.

Bill Walker is still working on the final phase of production of "Doctor's Orders." We're hoping to release this vignette very soon. Keep your fingers crossed!

11. Potemkin_Prod

The rough of "The Void" teaser is now complete! On to Act I...

12. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

So Cool!

13. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks. I've done three pages of script so far for Act I. It's working out to be about a page per hour, which is roughly twice the time it took to film it.

14. Potemkin_Prod

Have just updated the Project: Potemkin website with news, information and pics about our four summer productions. To put it simply, it's going to be a very hectic week.

Editing continues on "The Void" -- we've finished the teaser and Act I (although they'll still be tweaked, I'm sure). I'm halfway through the second act...

Filming continues on "The Night the Stars Fell from the Sky" -- we've finished 7 pages of the 42 page script. This coming Friday we'll be shooting at the T'Rike camp with Christin Woods, Dennis Proulx and Eric Holt. This coming Saturday morning, we'll be shooting at the bridge set with Christin Woods, Eric R. Moore, Richard Thornton, Doug Harper and Jeff Green.

A vignette, "Devil in the Details," will be shot on this coming Saturday afternoon at One Trick Pony. This episode will feature Doug Harper, Eric R. Moore, Richard Thornton and Mario Pagan who will be directing this short film. Guest stars include John Lenwell and Cassie Martin.

Be sure and check out the website for some new pics!

15. Potemkin_Prod

Just letting everyone know that we've updated our website with news from this past weekend's double shoot, including pictures from both "Night the Stars Fell from the Sky" and "Devil in the Details."

You can also check us out on FaceBook these days: http://www.facebook.com/groups/projectpotemkin We've got daily updates and dozens of pictures from the shoots on-line. You can also better track what's going on there.

We're finalizing the edit on "The Void" and Steve Gallant has already begun work on the Sound. The only major step remaining is the panel animations, and we've been working hard at getting all of those finished.

Bill Walker has been working on the panel animations for "Doctor's Orders," and we're still hoping to have that vignette out in the next few weeks.

Lastly, we're still accepting donations at PayPal (orionpress@fastcopyinc.com). We'd love to have a little extra funds for this weekend's shoot (bolts of muslin aren't cheap!)

16. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

William Searcy's behind-the-scenes photos are fantastic. You're lucky to have him (as a chronicler and as an actor).

Sir Rhosis

17. Potemkin_Prod

We are indeed! He's not in Saturday's shoot, and yet he's going to be there for the filming to take photos. Not many people would brave the South Georgia heat for that!

18. Potemkin_Prod

Just a quick update on "The Void." The teaser edit has been locked in, and is now in the hands of Steve Gallant for SFX. Right now, Bob Reed is hard at work on applying VFX to the green screens in Act I at this time. Once this process (green screens, SFX) is complete, the episode will be turned over to Bill Walker for Panel Animation and Color Correction, then it will be released. Steve plans on creating a dramatic trailer to promote the episode as well. We're very excited that the episode is approaching completion.

19. Potemkin_Prod

Just a few publicity stills from David Eversole's "The Night the Stars Fell from the Sky." Production came to a stand-still Saturday with nearly two inches of rain washing out the shoot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Photos by William Searcy, the actor who plays the Moses-like Vulcan above. Can't say enough for his talents.