The Return of Bruce Wayne Disucssion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 18, 2009.

1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I have a feeling, like many, Bruce Wayne's return will tie in with the first showings of Batman 3.

2. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Well, it certainly got some decent publicity.

3. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I went back and got the trades for Batman & Son (Interlibrary Loan, no less!), The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul, The Black Glove and then RIP (which comes in a lovely Hardcover deluxe version). I still don't understand RIP and all the metaphorical *cough*nonsense*cough*. I must be dense or something.

But I just got the notification that my friendly neighborhood library has Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader on hold! Yippee!! Hopefully this is understandable by me.

4. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I always did like the idea that Dick WOULD become Batman in a lasting sense eventually. And even if Bruce comes back, I wouldn't even mind seeing him create a new identity or just do a Tony Stark and say "to hell with it... I WAS the Batman!" and just be Dick's mentor/money man.

Heh... that's a wrong wording... makes Bruce sound like a Suger Daddy...

5. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the deal with Bruce is that he's supposed to be obsessed, he can't help himself, otherwise he would have passed it off to Dick years ago voluntarily and shacked up with Vicki or Selena or someone and spent the rest of his life and billions living it up and providing funding for the Justice League.

It's hardwired into him that he has this compulsion to dress up and kick butt, the same way most of us have a compulsion to undress and screw butt.

He doesn't have a choice, that's why he's the Batman. So unless the current arc gives him some electroshock therapy to the brain and he has a personality makeover it wouldn't be Bruce Wayne, it would be some contrived plotline pasted in.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He lives in a world where dressing in tights and fighting evil is a valid lifestyle choice. Bruce is one of many. He is no more obsessed (in a bad way) than Clark Kent, Barry Allan, or Hal Jordan. Batman is not a victim of psychosis, he's a hero who voluntarily puts his life on the line because it serves the greater good.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Batman Beyond it was shown that Bruce was able to carry on his mission in a new way by mentoring and aiding Terry McGuniness when he realized his body wasn't able to continue to cooperate. I think it's possible for Bruce to retire being Batman, he just needs the right excuse to convince him to do so. Also in Kingdom Come he had dBat Knights patrolling Gotham City. Even in Dark Knight Returns he'd been retired for a while before resuming his role.

8. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well why can't there be more than one Batman? I mean, Dick really did earn his role as Batman. I know technically Bruce said "Don't be Batman" but c'mon that's kinda lame. Even though I think Tim and Dick need to be Batman and Robin, Tim really grew into the role and I think they even had Dick say "You were a far better Robin than I ever was." but I do like the idea that Tim's even grown up and is taking on a new ID too. Damien is an annoyin' little shit that needs his ass whipped and then realize that's he's full of it. But I can really see like Bruce coming back as Batman, but taking a more mentoring role, maybe even tackling more cosmic matters with the JLA and Dick being the Batman of Gotham, tackling the day to day crimes and issues. I think in many ways Dick as Batman is far closer to early Bruce/Batman. Batman got too... large. I guess you could say large. Early Batman was Gotham and surrounding areas. But then what the fuck is he doing fighting Darkseid?

"You're out of your element Donnie!"

So... if Dick handles Gotham and surrounding areas and Bruce handles the JLA stuff where its more global and galactic threats, that could work out very well. Or have him OWN the name "Dark Knight", maybe wear some more armor or something, be more of a 'knight" than a "detective" that runs around rooftops in tights and drives a Batmobile.

9. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

This is my main problem with Red Robin. Tim's always been presented as a master detective, almost as good as Bruce and as good as or better than Dick (I never believed that either, but that's a whole other rant), and for him to be off chasing wild geese on a completely unfounded belief (we know it's unfounded because we know where Bruce is--well, more or less) seriously undermines his character. Unless, of course, we're supposed to believe he's emotionally unbalanced and this is his way of dealing with it--but it's not being portrayed that way at all.

10. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Didn't he get into a similar obsessive/emotionally unbalanced way of dealing with Conner Kent's death?

I just recently read Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader (gorgeous hardcover edition with awesome Andy Kubert art) and posted about it in the other thread. I really liked the end and so it seems clear to me that Bruce Wayne will resume as Batman.

I know Dick is Batman now and he's coping but he's not the obsessive Batman as Bruce is. And in some ways, Batman in order to be Batman needs the same level of commitment as Bruce has to being Batman. There is no reason why Dick (who wants to fight on the side of good) can't do it as any other super-hero-identity (he's been doing that as Nightwing). However for Bruce Wayne, he can't be any other being except Batman. It's his vow that was made at the time of his parents' death. His decision to be the batman when the bat flew into the window. Dick is filling in, in his absence.

I'd guess that they will show how being Batman will weigh heavier and heavier on Dick. Finally it may prove to be almost too much and then Bruce will become Batman again.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

He did, going so far as trying to clone Conner. But Tim knows that Bruce is dead, yet he's convinced that Bruce is alive. The latest issue of Red Robin explains where some of that might be coming from; Tim reveals to Cass (Wonder Girl) that, during Final Crisis, he was forced to listen to the Anti-Life Equation. Now, that's supposed to drive someone insane.

It hasn't been outright stated, but it's possible that "Whatever Happened..." is part of Bruce's experience in the Omega Sanction. If anyone can think himself out of the Omega Sanction, it's going to be Bruce Wayne. :)