Levar Burton aka Geordi La Forge criticizes Star Trek 2009

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Along with a printout of the text of "Path to 2409".

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

And "CANON CANON CANON CANON CANON CANON CANON CANON CANON" watermarked over every page.

3. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Good grief!

...aaaaaand five hilarious pages for this. I bet the OP didn't think that was goint to happen. :p

Enough spamming. Movin' on...

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Time to bump this thread. LeVar Burton has given another interview, this time calling Abrams "egocentric and immature" for violating Star Trek canon.

Read the delightfully titled "Levar Burton Calls Bullshit on JJ Abrams" here.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why is no one else hearing these things from JJ Abram's "camp"?

6. Set Harth

Yeah, you're STILL NOT GETTING IT.

Stick to BBT guest spots and shut the fuck up.

7. F. King Daniel

I wouldn't be suprised if Burton's source is Robert Meyer Burnett, ranting and raving about JJ during the filming of the TNG-R bonus features.

8. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

The idea that a movie script "erases" 605 television episodes and 10 movies was ridiculously stupid in 2009 and it's still stupid in 2013. Newsflash: NONE of it is real. Really, the argument is sick and only serves to further the assumptions that people have made in the past that "Trekkies" can't distinguish fantasy from reality. No movie script or television script can erase jack squat because they are all fictional stories that were all penned from inside our universe.

People shouldn't still have to point out that their DVDs haven't vanished into a temporal vortex, but here we are.

9. Set Harth

That's not the point. The point is that even in the internal continuity of the imagined universe ( or multiverse ), nothing was erased.

10. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

And I guess to me -- that really doesn't matter either. For example -- I really don't need a black hole/red matter subplot to deal with the fact that Gilligan's Island and Law & Order are separate universes that don't erase each other. I see absolutely no difference between that and the relationship between Star Trek '09 and the rest of Trekdom, red matter subplot or not. They're stories.

11. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Oh. My. God. :cardie:

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm inclined to file yawps re: vague/unspecified "things" coming out of Abrams' "camp" right next to character rumors and plot-detail leaks citing nameless "informed sources" and the like.

They need to get Shatner back on the media shit-stirring detail; he's just better at it, while Levar comes off sounding a little... I don't know... defensive?

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

A little more than defensive. He has brought up JJ and the 2009 movie a few times in interviews and has almost always been critical of it in some way. That's his right of course but this recent interview seems like mud slinging. Talking about "things he heard" that no one else has and then attacking that really isn't doing him any favors at all. It's lacking tact. Even if it's true he is showing himself in a worse light.

14. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the entire TNG cast (minus Wil Wheaton) are appearing in Toronto this weekend, and a lot of people on my Facebook friendlist are excited about it.

(Wil's likely not going to be there for two reasons: one, we had him as a guest at Polaris just eight months ago, and two, scuttlebutt has it that he doesn't like the guy who puts on this particular show - which is not a fan-run convention, but rather a for-profit show.)

If I remember, I'll pop back into this thread next week and let you know what kind of reception they got. But I'm willing to bet right now that it will be enthusiastic.

15. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I just came from a conference in San Francisco with Advanced Micro Devices, and they're working on technology towards building a holodeck."

I wish they would work faster on that.

16. F. King Daniel

Also, the holodeck came from the animated Star Trek episode "The Practical Joker" way back in 1974 and not The Next Generation. So there:p

17. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Burton:
    Well, Lavar, not to put to fine a point on it, but not being able to accept there is another one now is really egocentric and immature, too.

18. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise all violated Trek canon. That's sort of why JJ had to do what he did.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If this interview is true, and Levar Burton's words aren't being twisted or taken out of context, all I can say is...Has he started taking drugs?

Seriously, even if, someone in JJ's Camp, or JJ himself wishes JJTrek to be the only one people remember, so what? Like that's really going to happen? I have a really tough time believing JJ has nothing better to do with his time, then to goaround spreadsing his intention of erasing all other Trek, especially since that is impossible.

And this fool Robert Meyer Burnett, doesn't have a clue, the interview starts off with him blathering on about Serialized TV doesn't have A and B stories and 5 episodes??? Huh? Of course Serialized TV deals with A and B stories and 5 act episodes (The 5 acts are Commercial Breaks,DUH?) DS9, B5, Farscape, Walking Dead, NuBSG.... all follow this structure and are serialized (with the exception being DS9 was light on Serialization)

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Probably won't be this year or next, though, if I'm reading this right.