How recognizable is the enterprise crew?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by WesleysDisciple, Feb 15, 2014.

1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Theyve all gone undercover on a number of occasionas without substantial disugises or cosmetic surgery.... would think after Their heroism saving earth from the Borg, their faces would be on the news, and on Holodramas, point is... dont see them taking the risk of going in without being cosmeticly altered.

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

No such canon evidence exists so no

3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure the face of Locutus gives a great deal of Federation citizens horrid nightmares

4. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Maybe Picard is recognizable, because of the Locutus thing, but do you really think the rest of the crew would be? I mean, I know that the Enterprise has gone on some "notable" missions, but the Federation is pretty big. Does the average Federation citizen pay attention to the "military" a.k.a. Starfleet? I don't think that the average American would have any clue who serves on American aircraft carriers or any other Naval vessel.

Of course, it also depends on what the mission is and where they are going. If they need to on a mission to a hostile environment that would recognize (because of Intelligence Reports) that the away team is from Starfleet, I am sure they would take the necessary steps to disguise themselves.

5. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

<permission to come aboard>

Data, certainly, I would think...holo dramas...love it!

6. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That hot Russian, Anna Chapman, was sleeping with every politician in the U.S. of A. for government secrets, which she - surprisingly - got in quite a bit of detail. They all knew her and yet - through careless Pillow Talk - betrayed our country, many times over! But because she was the spy, she was the scape goat for the fiasco and deported and unlike Snowden, all of those horny politicians who made it with her got re-elected, with no problems. Point is, politics are all one big game, really and you don't get to command the flagship of the Federation, without knowing how to play The Game. Notice how James Bond never gets "recognized," despite being the best known agent in the Intelligence Community. Then, again ... his ability to transfer from one actor to another over the years has contributed, somewhat ... surely!

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

A lot of their missions are probably classified. Waring factions could exploit a new alien weapon (like the Tamarian's weapon that trumped the Enterprise D) and use it against the Federation. I think some missions, like when they save earth, are shared probably to get people to join Starfleet.

Don't forget Admiral Prescott (I think) pointed out Riker's good work against the Borg. I think that was general knowledge and not something he read before arriving.

8. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In our times, how many military people would be recognized by the general public other than Gen. Schwartzkopf, Ollie North, or perhaps Jessica Lynch?

9. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Despite the Enterprise-D (then the E) was the prestigious flagship, her crew members didn't ever seem to be having a reputation of exceptional heroes. Picard was a well-respected Captain as Kirk during TOS era.

Look at Captain Jellico, he treated the Enterprise officers like typical Starfleet officers.

In Unfication, the bar singer didn't immediately recognize Riker as the Enterprise XO. She saw the uniform, then realized by talking with him he was from the ship that killed her former husband. When they wear civilian clothes on a bar or Risa, they are incognito.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

There are too many factors that would make the 24th century uncomparable to today's military. For one, the Federation is more known for its diplomatic agenda.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

We know Enterprise NX-01's crew became famous for saving the Earth (ENT: "Home") and Kirk's became legendary, but I guess there's no room in TNG's evolved future for fame.

Just kidding, I'm sure if they ever did a sequel series Picard and co would be hailed as legends just like Kirk.

12. Green Shirt

True. Its like arguing the greatest sports figures of different eras. So much has changed over the decades (equipment, rules, PEDs, training and the like) that comparison is difficult.

13. Armored Saint

You're not wrong, but how many diplomats or civil servants are you able to recognize?

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Data must be a pretty big celebrity in the Federation, he's got to have a lot of recognition.

Besides Picard and Data, there are probably more people who know of them than know what they look like. Worf must be famous among Klingons and somewhat well known on Earth. People are naturally going to give Picard credit for most of the ship's accomplishments. And while their adventures may be exciting when watching them, I can bet the actual mission reports are dry and wordy, so they aren't heavily reported on.

Before the Dominion War:

Federation News Service Page 1: "80 degrees and sunny in the beautiful clean air of Los Angeles. Denobulan pop singer Rhavix tours Andor, divorces Vulcan wife?"

Federation News Service Page 80: "Enterprise D escapes ancient booby trap, left by ancient extinct dynasty".

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I played a neat game trying to name a bunch of historical figures and surprisingly knew quite a bit, and history was always my worst subject.

16. Armored Saint

I was referring to active ambassadors or state employees, not to people like Elvis, Poutine, Mao, Einstein, Nietzsche, Marx, Napoleon or Michael Jordan. ;)

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Dennis Rodman?

18. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Data most definitely. He's the most intriguing individual in all of the Federation. They found his head buried beneath San Francisco, & probably shit themselves

The Romulans of all people managed to turn out a Laforge doppelganger. Troi is also captured by them for her likeness to a Romulan Tal Shiar agent

Worf! is... WORF SON OF MOGH C'mon! He's famous throughout the galaxy. He murdered a guy who would be leader of an entire galactic superpower, (& then later, murdered the sitting one, right?) & he's the only Klingon in Starfleet. He turned the tide of a civil war. They will sing songs about that guy

Wesley is a boy flying the Federation flagship. I don't know how recognizable he is, but he's certainly known. Didn't the Traveler show up to find Wesley?

As for the rest of them, meh... I suppose they are slightly known by association, but maybe not too much

19. Armored Saint

20. Green Shirt

That was quite a cross section of historical figures. I was initially fooled into thinking I recognized Davy Crockett, but since he was holding a guitar I figured it had to be Elvis.