Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kinda reminds me of the escape capsule from a B-58.

With a healthy heaping of nautilus shell.

2. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've had some rather inconvenient health problems going on for the last couple of months and progress on Polaris has been slow, but I have managed to just about finish the inner surface of the "sails." I should probably post some wireframes to show just how much work went into this, but I think I've gone about as far as I'm going to for one weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ignore the cylinders protruding through the outer hull, I just haven't finished modeling those and trimming off the excess.

With any luck, I'll be posting some more of these within the next couple of days that finally blocks in the mechanical structures for supporting and articulating the sails.

Stay tuned.

3. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Forget the Polaris, nice as it may be, are you okay?

4. Vektor

I'm surviving. Been having a weird set of problems off and on for over ten years that the doctors have never managed to diagnose. Could be panic attacks. Could be metabolic syndrome. Could be some weird side effect of acid reflux. They still don't know. All I know is that every now and then I start getting these "attacks" where my blood pressure and heart rate spike to life threatening levels for no apparent reason and knock me on my butt for days at a time. The most recent episode was last Friday in the middle of The Dark Knight Rises. LOL

Anyway, I've been feeling pretty good since then and managed to do quite a bit of work on Polaris over the weekend, a considerable amount of which is not shown in these latest WIPs but hopefully will be in the next day or two.

Thanks for your concern.

5. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vektor, I know exactly how you feel ... I have a similar issue with tachycardia and anxiety. I've been resisting a full-on investigation because I don't quite trust modern medicine yet -- while doctors are great at mending injuries, their ability to tackle disease often seems hit-or-miss.

I don't want to speak for everyone here, but I bet they all share my hope that you continue "feeling pretty good" and keep finding the time to bang out amazing images to share with us.

6. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

dude, i've been there. feel better.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Is it stress related? Maybe your body is trying to turn you into the hulk and you just don't have enough gamma radiation.

8. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, it's good to hear that you're doing okay. I and my wife are a walking textbook of medical issues, so I get kind of nervous when my friends and acquaintances talk about this sort of thing.

Not a bad idea. Well, I have an extra large microwave, we could always microwave him for a little while and see if he turns green.

9. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a damaged brain and central nerve center issues so I know all about panic attacks, you might want to ask your doc to take a look at the central nerve center and/or the connection between the two brain halves.

If they're "just" panic attacks then it might indeed be that you're vulnareble to stress, in any case I hope you'll be fine

I agree with whats said before, Polaris nice healthy Vektor MUCH more important ;)

10. Vektor

Thanks for all the well wishes, gang. I personally am leaning toward the theory that I have a vagus nerve problem, possibly triggered by acid reflux. If you don't know what the vagus nerve is and are just dying to know, I suggest you Google it. It's amazing how many functions in your body are connected to that nerve and what it can do to you if it's out of sorts.

I have an appointment with a cardiologist next week to hopefully rule out any problems with my heart itself. In the mean time, I'm just trying to hang in there and make some progress on these various projects when I can. I will definitely have some more progress to show before the end of this weekend.

11. Vektor

I did get some additional work done on Polaris this weekend, I just haven't had a chance to post it. I'll try to get it online by some time tonight.

12. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

We'll be here waiting for it. :cool:

13. Psion

F5

F5

F5

F5

F5

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 ...

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5

I don't think this button is working right.

F5

14. Vektor

*Sigh.* My sister is in town from Germany and we're out to dinner before she heads home tomorrow. Probably won't be getting anything online tonight, I'm afraid. I'll shoot for tomorrow night.

15. Sumghai

Sumghai Lieutenant Red Shirt

A fairly interesting design I must say. It's not everyday you see a vertical saucer design.

I like how you've placed the bridge in the middle decks rather than at the more vulnerable top.

Keep up the good work.

16. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

If only what happens in vagus would stay in vagus.

Seriously I wish you well.

17. Psion

I was just about to post a wise-ass remark about my refresh buttons still not working in this thread. Then I realized that might not be in good taste given the stuff going on in Vektor's life. That's a rare moment of self-restraint that you're all quite privileged to witness.

But I still can't wait to see more pretty pictures.

Cheers, Vektor! To your health, happiness, and productivity!

18. Vektor

Don't worry, gang, I'm still alive and kicking. Have an appointment for an ultrasound imaging of my heart this afternoon, which I have mixed emotions about. On the one hand, I'd love it if they could actually find something to explain all this crap, but on the other hand, most things that are likely to show up on an ultrasound could be pretty bad, so I think I'd prefer they not find anything on this particular test.

The good news is that I've been feeling good the last few days and have been fairly productive on Polaris. I know I said I'd post more WIPs this week but at this point I think I'm going to wait for the weekend so I can finish off a few more things properly. I'll try to post something by tomorrow night or probably some time Saturday at the latest.

19. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Well Mr. Vektor... you're pregnant."

ultrasound can also be unrevealing or sometimes misread. mine showed a couple of kidney stones which, upon followup, never existed.

20. Vektor

In this case I think they're mainly trying to determine if I have any thickening of the heart walls due to prolonged high blood pressure. Unfortunately, I probably won't know anything results-wise until at least Monday.