(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Good result!

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Reports today that Torres & Reina have contract clauses allowing them to leave in January and they will use them. I wonder who leaked that oh yeh their agents :rolleyes: bloodsucking creatures who would probably sell their own mothers for a % of the sale.

If I was Liverpool, especially their owners then I would say fine because for those 2 players alone you could get £50-70 million and then you wouldn't of need to put so much of your own money into the club for new sales. Torres is past his best IMO, hes doing an Owen and injuries are taking their toll by becoming more regular. Reina would be a huge loss but Liverpool must have someone at the club who can do a solid job though keepers are cheap to buy for the most part...

I would sell them and then add a little more money to the pot and Liverpool can rebuild their entire squad and gain morem oney by getting rid of more waste in their squad at the same time. Everton did it with Rooney, Moyes used the money to build a squad that saw them finish 4th, 12 months later.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Agreed completely - sell them both. They can get in a great goalkeeper with plenty of change for a start. Where would Reina go?

United?

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Papers said Fergie would want him but why spend so much when you can solid keepers elsewhere for a lot less. Utd need to concentrate on two players IMO...

Bale to replace Giggs
    Snejider to replace Scholes

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Good keepers are easy to get, great keepers are a bit harder to find, but I'm sure Liverpool could replace Reina easily enough, replacing Torres (at his best) would be harder.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Spurs crush the Euro champs...ok well Bale crushed them.

I love watching Spurs at home :techman:

7. HappyDayRiot

Spurs are what makes this year's group stage interesting - someone new from a top league.

Still can't stand Redknapp though. I wish the FA had charged him the instant he said he'd stop talking to the media.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Bit hypocritical since they still haven't fined Fergie yet have they?

9. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

But wasn't he completely right? I mean, that goal - as funny as it was - was bullshit.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The goal was definitely iffy, but as they say play to the whislte.

11. HappyDayRiot

Perfectly legitimate goal.

Over the top reaction solely because it's at Old Trafford, as usual.

12. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree, I didn't see anything wrong with the goal myself.

Yes it was a handball by Nani but the ref clearly allowed play to go on as the ball ended up back in Gomes' hands.

Gomes, then being a plonker gifted the opposition a goal.

13. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

So AFC Wimbledon are playing MK Dons in the FA Cup 2nd round. I can just imagine what the atmosphere would be like.

14. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I thought the Wimbledon fans have more or less forgiven the MK Dons? They have their club back (even if it's technically a new one and play in a lower league) and the club's history back. And who would be there on the opposing side to hate on anyway?

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Sometimes you gotta Love The FA CUP :techman: go on AFC. Now I want FC United to win in the 2nd round of the FA Cup and give us a 3rd round tie of...

Man Utd vs. FC United

16. HappyDayRiot

Now, now. They both have to win replays first... though both should be doable.

That draw news came at just the right time for me yesterday, as I'm sure you can imagine. Also, Torres' second goal - what a peach. And Newcastle!

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah not a great Sunday afternoon for you!

I still can't quite believe we're 4th at the moment...

18. HappyDayRiot

Yes, very impressive. Think it's too much to ask to stay there?

I accept the Swansea win because they were by far the better team on the day. It's the kind of loss that could happen to us at any point, because without Bothroyd we're devoid of any ideas. The manager got it totally wrong yesterday in terms of formation and system. Not to mention the players - Keogh is worse than useless as a centre-forward; Bellamy did nothing; Chopra could barely get a touch; Drinkwater was clearly not fit enough and should never have started. For once, our best players were the centre-backs and the goalkeeper, which I guess is a little encouraging after some of their performances before this weekend.

Never mind. Still second, three points clear and one off top. Plenty of games to go. Just a shame the loss was to the Jacks. Would you believe they showed up waving Tangerine balloons, as if they forgot it was Blackpool who nicked their own play-off spot! The cheeky bastards!

19. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great performance from the Rams on Saturday evening.

Managed to find a decent stream of the game. Saw the first half hour before we had to go out to a bonfire/fireworks display. Clear penalty and a deserved lead based on what I saw until I went out.

Watched the game back later on and we didn't really let up in the second half.

Commons chance from Green's cutback in the first 10 mins, Sav's cool penalty, Green's tap in after great work from Cwyka and Kuqi, Commons' halfway line effort towards the end. Could have been a lot worse for Pompey than just 2-0.

To cap things off, the return of 'the beast' Addison, and Pompey ended up with no shots on target for the entire game (although Kitson's effort was superbly saved by Fielding and then wrongly given as a goalkick).

On a completely different note, judging from the reports in this morning's papers, it looks as though Wee Billy's started engineering his own departure from Forest. Apparently he's now only doing 3 days a week!

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Addison's only back short term before he goes and has another op though, right? He should only be out another 6 weeks though.

Can we stay up there?Well we'll need to see, as winter sets in and the ground gets cloggier our neat passing game might not be as succesful, but we have confidence, we have a good team ethos and a comfortable system of play that works. I think the only problem could be injuries really. I think the bigger question is, if we were to get promoted would we be able to compete in the Prem? I think we would, but the Americans would have to spend some money, we'd need a top draw striker to play up top (a younger Kuqic) and probably some additional bodies in defence and midfield. I think the 4-2-3-1 formation would suit the prem better than Billy's kick the ball to Stevie Howard plan ever did.

Why's Billy only doing 3 days a week? To be honest surprised he's still there! I guess they won't sack him and he won't resign.