Star Trek: Shepard

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Dulak, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Dulak

Dulak Commander Red Shirt

It's good to be back... And fun to be writing this story again. I might also continue the Tennison storyline at some point because they are going to tie together in what can only be an interesting way... eventually.

Oh, and paid is relative.. I've got $37 more than I did before I started... but it keeps trickling in.

I know that section was short, but I wanted to get my feet back in the water.

Thanks for the support!

2. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

You are most welcome! :)

3. Dulak

Five years since I've been on here....that's crazy. I think I will rectify that.

4. admiralelm11

admiralelm11 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Welcome back, Dulak. Good to be reading your work again, sir.:bolian:

5. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome back. Looking forward to more Shepard.

6. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome back!

7. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome Back Dulak... a new show on the Federation Broadcasting Network! :bolian:

8. Dulak

So, I started continuing the story from where I left off, and made some progress. Then I went back and decided to scan the story from the beginning to refresh my memory on the story and character development thus far. I was appalled at some of the simple writing errors, plot inconsistencies, and some point of view confusion I found in what I had thought was a fairly polished story.

I am quite familiar with the re-write gridlock that can happen if one continually revises a story before it is finished..but as this is not a completed story yet, and it has been some time since my last content post, I could not resist combing through what I had written so far to clean things up a bit.

I believe time away from the story has helped me take to my revising with fewer preconceptions, and I hope that the updated version I present will be easier to read and more entertaining than the original.

So, when I post (sometime soon, I assure you) a new section to the story, I am also going to repost the story as revised from the beginning, probably in a new thread to avoid any new reader confusion or overlap.

I hate to lose all the helpful comments garnered from previous postings, but unless someone has a cogent reason why it would be better to repost to the same thread, I am leaning away from it. ( I would edit the old posts to replace them if I could, but that seems beyond my purview.)

9. CeJay

No shame in doing that at all, I think. It's been a long time after all and it has given you a new perspective on things. More than likely you've grown as a writer as well.

And who knows you might even pick up a few new readers along the way. I for one am looking forward to rediscover this tale from the beginning.

10. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

I did the same with my first Bluefin story. After some time I became painfully aware of its shortcomings, so I posted a revised version. Not sure if anyone else cared but it made me feel better. :lol:

11. Gibraltar

I concur, let fly with a newly revised edition. A lot's happened in the UT since you started your story, so perhaps you might even decide to change the time frame.

I'm looking forward to reading it! :bolian:

12. Dulak

If someone could direct me to some concise version of the UT time line. I would be glad to consider a revised timeframe for the story that would fit better and allow easier crossovers!

13. CeJay

Yeah, uh .. I don't think we've got one of those. I remember trying my hand on an all inclusive one some time ago but that just turned out to be a huge convoluted mess.

EDIT: I found a very old and rudimentary one on my hard drive. I'll add a link at the UT Forum.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  14. Gibraltar

Don't we have one on our UT writers-only wiki?