THE GIVER movie being made. Jeff Bridges to star?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Oh, I hope that's the case. I took it as a given.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

After looking around a bit, I found that IMDB says the film is in black and white as well as color. I don't know how far to accept that as so, since IMDB can be notoriously wrong about pre-release details, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435651/

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

The trailer is here:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNNugNe0Wo[/yt]

I'm disappointed that the film is in color because it misses a major element of the story. But the trailer still looks great. And I'll hold out hope that they'll find some other way to address the issue of color within the film.

4. Amaris

Damn.

5. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Taylor Swift! :adore:

I watched it once but didn't noticed her but saw a news site with a cap???

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The lack of Black and White is very disappointing. I'll wait for the full trailer to really get a sense of how this movie will be, though.

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was my thought, too! If I were making the movie, I'd go full Wizard of Oz, black and white (at the very least, muted colors), and then color as Jonas begins to get the sight from the Giver.

I'm very worried about the ending now. I feel they'll give it a Hollywood ending. I can just imagine all of the people who didn't read the book watching the movie and wondering what the ending is all about. I can foresee a lot of unhappy people, if they're true to the book.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know nothing about the book, but this trailer has interested me.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

New Trailer with obvious differences from the teaser

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIh7KZhmSbc[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIh7KZhmSbc

Better than the teaser. I guess they have listened to some of the fan feedback!

10. Amaris

Oh yes. Yes, yes!

11. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

The second trailer is definitely the better of the two. I still have reservations, as I know The Giver is not easy to adapt properly, but I'll keep an open mind.

12. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

That looked amazing. I wonder what people who haven't read the book make of the scene with the father and the needle.

In any case, I love that it starts in b&w ... and the rest looks like a pretty sincere attempt at adapting the film. This is one I'll definitely see as soon as I can.

13. Unicron

I'm really glad they kept the B & W aspect, as that's a key part to the story. That's a good sign at least.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

How the hell have I never read this book?

Definitely gonna need to do that before I see the film.

15. Amaris

If you go to Amazon.com, the Kindle version is $4.14 if you have one, or you can get the paperback for about $4 (includes shipping).

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Thank you for the advice. I have never bought a book before. :p

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here.
    So I wonder if the black & white thing was them giving into the fan outrage, or if it was the plan all along and they just decided to show the first trailer in color for some reason?

18. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was gonna wait before changing my avatar.

:adore:

19. Unicron

The reviews are just starting to trickle in, and unfortunately a lot of them seem to be pretty negative so far. :( I'm not sure anymore if it's worth the ticket, because it sounds like they made more than a few quick dirty alterations to the basic story elements to make the story seem more like modern youth dystopian sagas. And that's a poor direction to take.

I'll admit, though, I did like one review's consistent use of the term "Hologram Streep." :lol:

20. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No one's talking about the movie since it was released?!

OK...I admit, I've probably committed the cardinal sin and have never read the book. It looks like I would've been around 10 or 11 when the book was first published, and I think I vaguely seeing it at those 'book fairs' they always held in middle school but I think the old man on the cover turned me off. In other words I've never read the book and other than knowing it was a vaguely dystopian story and reading the plot on the wikipedia I had no expectations going in.

I'll be honest...I kinda really loved the movie. It had a very Pleasantville vibe to it with the awakening of emotions and memories being shown through colors. It also had shades of Divergent and Hunger Games in it in that it most definitely follows the 'teen hero saves a dystopian society from its self' trope but it felt much better done, much less boring than Divergent (much higher caliber 'adult' actors as well, Katie Holmes aside, not to put Kate Winslet down but she looked totally bored in her part in Divergent). The end felt wrong, rushed and incomplete which from what I hear is due to how far it strayed from the book plot during that part. Otherwise I'd say it was a good movie and unlike Shailene Woodley the guy who played Jonas was actually a half decent actor who made me actually care about the protagonist.

Anyone else seen it?