Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Read my post immediately above this. Unlike some on this board, I have the ability to change my mind and decide that the length could be different than I previously thought. I'm willing to go to 400-450m. But 700+ is simply inane.

For those who think the ship is really 700m long, take a walk that distance so that you can see the beginning and end points. Then look at how much space that would give. Then imagine you had to run/climb that distance because the power was out and turbolifts were inoperative. etc...

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But it's not 300-pound Trek fans who have to run/climb that distance, its physically conditioned military officers.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although 725m is the perfect fit for the bridge and atrium. Any smaller and the rooms overlap. Doesn't that alone preclude the ship being any smaller?
    Just over a third of the Enterprise's length is her nacelles. Kirk and Scotty ran from the atrium in the saucer centre to engineering, which is behind the huge shuttlebay. I'd guess a 400m trek, tops?

4. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

That seems pretty consistent with the screencap; I think the nuEnterprise just has a lot more non-deck space above and below the two decks that go out to the rim than we're used to from previous Enterprises.

Heh, I was watching TMP earlier in the week, that Rec Deck set seems like it would fit perfectly into this Enterprise (since it's almost three decks high and doesn't have an undercut).

5. WarpFactorZ

No it doesn't. The windows in that diagram are essentially the height of the corridor itself (i.e. the same size as the hull breach). But they clearly are about 1/3 of the corridor height, tops, since in the intact windows we can see maybe one row of the "cells" on the wall. A bigger window would show the entire opposite wall.

King Daniel has shrunk the corridor to fit his desired ship size.

6. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

The corridor heights from the screencap appear to fit the drawing.

It seems from what Gep posted there is room for three decks out to the edge, but they're offset so that it's two decks at the edge with a half-deck above and below.

7. F. King Daniel

Are you sure about that?
    [​IMG]
    Green lines are all the same height

8. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh. That works surprisingly well.

9. WarpFactorZ

You crack me up, KDiD. The green line is the height of the corridor alone (8 ft, as I recall). There is a generous space between the decks behind the windows (your little blue line). Yet the imaginary decks you show above and below are not separated by this amount. And furthermore, the green line you show at the very bottom doesn't line up with the corridor either.

Sorry, this bit of evidence is quite strongly against the 700m ship theory.

10. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

There are no decks above and below, just a lot of deck-size dead space. Look at the side-view cross section.

The saucer rim has two decks with a gap between them (blue line) and additional space above and below that's almost but not quite enough room to fit full decks into.

11. F. King Daniel

Only the ones with "DECK" written on them are decks - see the diagram in the corner? And in between the ones labelled "DECK" are those between deck spaces, just like the diagram in the corner.
    It's not supposed to.
    I disagree. And I have diagrams to prove it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  12. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Space for phaser/thruster mechanisms.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Jefferies tube, various ship systems. Most everything machinery wise in the Reboot-Verse is bigger and more bulky than we're used to, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they need more room for basic equipment.

As for walking a 700+ meter length. A Nimitz class carrier is ~340 meters long. The deck crews work the length of deck hours at a time. Just one trip from the end to end and back is the length of the Enterprise--that's one deck. Some of these officers and men on a regular basis without the aid of antigravs, turbolifts, all the nice kit and gadget the Enterprise has. The when you consider half or more of that 700+ meter starship is nacelles, then the numbers of the internal size dial down a lot.

[​IMG]

So the ship proper, discounting the larger nacelles, is actually in the same range as the refit Enterprise. The Nacelles just scale up the number cause their larger.

And remember, not every deck of the ~491 meters of proper ship is full length decks.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  14. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What someone needs to do is come up with something like this:

[​IMG]

The more official the better. It'll give us a good understanding of how the ship looks like inside.

Incidentally, I think that shows how it cannot possibly be only strictly 2 decks tall at the rim. The old Connie could barely squeeze in 2 decks there

Source: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Constitution_class_decks

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Still wouldn't shut people up. Even the diagram in you posted isn't universally accepted. We have a official length of the ship, and people are still saying the people that created the damn thing are "Wrong"

16. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Some people cant accept that it is bigger than the original, I guess they never will. If they cant accept the word from the designers and producers of the film then what will they accept...

Its a bit silly really, the NuEnterprise looks great and works really well on screen but some people have difficulty accepting change. :rolleyes:

17. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    It's the defiant all over again ! :)

We're asking for evidence, not whether you think it's reasonable or not. Again: shuttlebay.

Yes, it does.

You're getting bogged down in irrelevancies. The point is that the space is there, whether there's a deck in there or not.

18. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, it looks like there is a whole deck above the lighted one in this picture. There's a bit of space between the mid decks, and then room for another whole deck below the bottom (not visible here) deck. That would make it four decks deep in this case.

The windows aren't "floor to ceiling" but they're damn close. Almost as large as the windows in the Wheel Lounge in TFF, but a lot wider.

Four line up nicely. Two window decks in middle, one above, one below.

19. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

You're tripping over the "length" issue as if length is a proxy for size. It is not.

If you rearranged the ship so that the saucer and nacelles were directly above the secondary hull instead of slightly above it -- IOW, if you arranged Enterprise's parts like USS Grissom -- the ship would only be 290 meters long. That, to you, would be more reasonable?

At its current size, the Enterprise is a modular construct of four vessel components, each of which is the size of a large real-world naval vessel; if you took 3 Essex class aircraft carriers and welded them together and then added a couple of Saturn-V rockets to the side, you'd basically have the Enterprise.

700 meters is a little less than half a mile: or about four city blocks. Also known as "the distance between my dorm and the Literary History class I totally overslept for." I am VERY familiar with the length of that run: you'd be surprised how quickly a person can cover that distance with enough motivation.

More importantly, much of that 700 meters is the extension of the nacelles beyond the secondary hull, without which the length is only about 500 meters. Most important of all: the distance from the brig to the engine room is FAR less than the distance from the bow to the stern, probably around 250 meters or less.

So how long would it take to run/climb through 250 meters of tumbling starship? Probably about as long as it would take for a starship on an impact trajectory to fall into Earth's atmosphere.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  20. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

ENT: Future Tense established that the 31st century Federation has bigger on the inside technology, and that Future Guy (most likely a Romulan) was very interested in it. If he got his hands on it, and in same fashion it made it onto Nero's ship, and...

Ah, screw it, long story short: Enterprise is bigger on the inside, ship is 120m long, but the shuttles, brewery and the extra aft and port nacelles fit inside nicely, together with the life support hidden behind them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.