Karate Kid remake - production photos released.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captain Craig, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the one with Will Smiths son, Jaden. Pics at the link.
    I am not impressed. Wax Off.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought they changed the title because it has no resemblance to the original movie.

3. Praxius

Praxius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't like Will's kid's acting in "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and I'm sure I'll hate his acting in this movie.

Seriously, what the hell happened to this world? Are they really going to haul out every single movie done in the past and recycle them for today's audience, just to make them worse then before?

What's next?

A Remake of The Princess Bride?

Little Monsters?

Gremlins?

4. Aragorn

^ Yes, those movies will all be remade. There are talks of another Amityville Horror remake... five years after the last time it was remade!!!

It's only a matter of time where two remakes of the same movie come out the same year and compete against each other. It happens in music where a cover song comes out the same year as the original.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't know what all the fuss is about. The Karate Kid is hardly sacred ground. Rather, it was a cheap, family-friendly movie that was a surprise hit, which went back to the well for three unmemorable sequels.

Not that this new version looks any better, although Jackie Chan is an inspired choice to replace 'Pat' Morita. I don't know about Jaden Smith, but The Day The Earth Stood Still gave him an awful part as a whiney kid, so I won't judge him based on that.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not entirely sure the fuss is about Karate Kid being sacred ground ala Psycho or Halloween, both masterpieces but were yet still remade needlessly.

I'll speak for myself here but I can't be alone.
    I'm sick of seeing less original fare. As another said are they really going to remake everything from '39-'89 that had/has a built in name recognition? Seems so. Short Circuit is even being redone. Predator is shooting now. Robocop has been in redevelopment the last few years.

Heck Avatar is a retread of a common theme(ie Dances with Wolves, ST:Insurrection) but at least its trying to feel different by marketing it as a visual extravaganza vs story worth hearing(again). Not that I care to see it but its trying.

How about if they want to remake movies they take box office duds and rework those into something fresh. Seeing as how the property was done poorly the first time it leaves all the room in the world to rework and add to the script making it something better.

My guess is that in another 10yrs(minimum) some studio will be talking about remaking Rocky, Rambo, Indiana Jones, Die Hard and Terminator. Now those are some holy ground franchises but like DC Comics who never passes up a chance to redo a Crisis every 5yrs those to are bound for remakes.

7. Aragorn

That's what I said! Why not remake a bad movie and try to turn it into a good one? No one wants to see Cuba Gooding Jr. and Freddie Prinze Jr. attempt a Lethal Weapon remake!

Of course, I'm the only person here who thinks that the Highlander remake falls into this category.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The studios see bad movies as bad movies too. Sow ears and all that.

9. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad to see we are training our kids to get asian fever at a younger age... Bloody hell, why can't they leave a good story alone.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do wish Will Smith's kid would get a proper haircut.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The less said about Van Sant's Psycho, the better. I'm not convinced that Halloween is a masterpiece--it's just a fairly scary horror film that jump-started the slasher genre. And, as bad as Zombie's remake might be, it probably has more creative merit than most of the sequels to the original. John Carpenter, after all, says the only way he got through writing the screenplay to Halloween II was a lot of alcohol. And, speaking of Carpenter, we should probably remember that his remake of The Thing From Another World was probably superior to the original (and is a damned fine film in any event).

The worst that I can say about the new version of The Karate Kid is that they're taking a mediocre family film that turned into a commercial hit and making another mediocre family film that they're hoping will also be a commercial hit. And that's the kind of lazy cash-in that nobody is going to be praise.

But there are always worthy remakes. Huston's version of The Maltese Falcon was the third version of the book in something like ten or fifteen years. It's also the best version, and the only one anyone remembers (besides people like Kegg and I).

For that reason, I'm not against remakes on principle. If anything, it takes more energy (and money) to produce a remake than it does to produce another ready-made sequel.

12. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

And farther into the future, it will be just ONE movie, remade and remade, over and over again, for all eternity. And it will be: "Plan Nine from Outer Space".

13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I'm sorry but What the hell? I hope it bombs.

:lol:

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Familwise the movie will probably perform decent but Jaden Smith looks too young for the role, he looks younger than the original kid from the original movie or maybe just my memory.

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

That is because Ralph Macchio was like 22/23 when he played the role.

16. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

eh... whatever... it's the Karate Kid... why not remake it? at least it's changing some elements.

in fact, i'd love to see more remakes of older movies with changes... give me a Seven Samurai remake with cowboys or bugs... once those are done, how about using jedi?

17. Aragorn

Are they going to capitalize on Jackie Chan by casting Owen Wilson as Kreese?

"We do not train to be merciful here. Leave that for surfers and tofu eaters, you know what I'm saying? Mercy is for the weak. Someone pulls a knife on you and you ask for mercy? Well that's just asking for the janitor to work a lot of overtime to clean up your blood stains and that's not right, especially if he wants to get home early to celebrate his son's birthday. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. He his Darth Vader to your Luke Skywalker, Terminator to your John Conner, Angelina Jolie to your Jennifer Aniston. An enemy deserves no mercy. You've gotta be like POW POW POW, everybody's kung fu fighting!"

18. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well he does fit 'kid' more than Ralph Macchio did, of course because Macchio was playing a high schooler it would be hard to look at this new movie with umm, I dunno how old Will Smith's kid is, but he looks like he's around 9 or 10. (ok IMDB says he's 11)

Maybe it's because we have so many 'teen dramas' nowadays that for something to be a 'family movie' the characters have to be younger. I dunno.

I just hope Will Smith's kid does a better acting job than Stallone's did in the movies he was in.

19. Praxius

Exactly, which means the remake will be even worse.

Indeed... hell they could have dragged any kid from today's day & age off the street to play that role as they're all whiney pompus jerks. Believe it or not, overall I enjoyed the movie, minus his role and the ending.

20. Praxius

You know I just came up with an idea:

Someone should make a facebook group to petition against all remake movies to come..... to do this, one has to get as many people to join up as possible and each one to vow not to pay a dime to see any remade movies in theatres. (ok you'd need something more then just Facebook)

Then movie makers would be forced to actually start coming up with something original, as this rip-off style of movie making would no longer be profitable.

.... Sure some of the remakes are movies you grew up watching and/or look really good.... but you're only adding more fuel to the fire and giving them an excuse to keep recycling old movies.

Just as Reality Shows will never die until people stop watching them, remakes will never die until people stop watching them. And just like the reality shows, if companies see a big market for something, they'll flood that market as much as they can, as quickly as they can before that market dries up from consumers losing interest.

But it hasn't hit that mark yet, thus we continue to get crap reality shows that are not Reality, and remade movies for the new movie makers to leech off of past profits.