Finally BBC gives us a Tardis Schematic!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, May 9, 2013.

1. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's rounder on the inside than the outside!

3. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Is that really a schematic? It looks more like a warning display to me. It might be as representative of the true layout of the TARDIS as a subway map is to the real layout of the transit system, i.e., extremely simplified and cleaned up.

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

It struck me as almost a flowchart lol... but since the rooms and corridors are reconfigurable at will, there's really no permanent floorplan of course. This kind of general "how things are tied together" pic is about as close as we can get.

5. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I immediately thought of you when I paused on that image! Like the others, I'm not certain this can be considered a proper representation of what the TARDIS looks like (I hesitate to use the word "schematic" since, at least with electrical circuits, a schematic has very little to do with the three-dimensional placement of discrete parts).

On the other hand, maybe that's all the TARDIS really is ... a bunch of ideas about internal relationships given shape and structure through block transfer computations and technology so advanced it is indistinguishable from magic. It has no proper internal arrangement and is more like a mind map or flowchart that can be altered at will and convenience. A sort of meta-existence or manifested virtual world. Which makes efforts like those you undertake doubly troublesome!

Anyway, I agree, it was a great moment to see that on screen!

6. starsuperion

7. starsuperion

Okay upon closer inspection of pic 3 by zooming in where it says "console room"..yep look close..you will be amazed! ...wow.

So that circle saying library is under there the structure.. awesome!

8. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

It could also just be a map of where they've been/will be in this episode

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't see anything. The words "console room" in a red circle, and some blue cloudy stuff.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Starsuperion I thought of you as well when I saw that graphic! Also digging your Omega redesign :)

11. Pavonis

I think you're imagining things. It's nice that you're super-excited about a more-or-less generic graphic, but there's nothing in the image besides shapes and words. It's not really that interesting, and I doubt it's supposed to represent anything about the layout of the TARDIS. What do you think you see that the rest of us don't?

12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there's nothing to see there.

13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Concur. In fact, I actually found it dissappointing because it *only* listed rooms that we saw in the story, as if there was nothing else!

Mr Awe

14. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Doesn't quite look like a schematic to me.... I prefer the one that one of the forum members here designed a year or two ago anyway :p

15. Psion

16. Pavonis

How do you design schematics for a ship that apparently can change its own architecture on the fly? What would be the point, then, of laying out a "map" of the interior of the TARDIS?

17. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    There isn't a point. While I appreciate the effort and skill that goes into a project like that, I've always thought it was pretty pointless. Doctor Who isn't the kind of show that lends itself to ship schematics the way Star Trek or Star Wars does.

18. Psion

As a creative endeavor alone, there's merit to the effort. The opportunity to flex one's artistic muscles and rise to the challenge of intricately detailing something that's never been seen -- based on the most minute of dialogue clues and set decorations.

But beyond that, there's nothing cast in stone that says the vessel can't be treated just like a Federation starship. Clearly it has at least some physical form. If it were so pointless, why even bother referring to the ship as an outmoded, "Type 40" time capsule? After all, if the whole thing could be reconfigured at whim, certainly someone could come along and upgrade the systems to a type 60 or 80 or 1701 TARDIS with the simplicity of a software patch.

So, since no one's done it before, it might as well be Starsuperion's hand that intricately crafts the look of the ship's inside, even if it is an unofficial effort. And given the number of times he's drawn, re-drawn, and re-re-drawn the ship, it's clear he's still experimenting with how to fit the parameters of the TARDIS on screen with his own preconceptions. He's done a great job so far, and I look forward to the next iteration and the one after that.

19. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    To each his own. As I said, I appreciate the artistry and work it takes to do such a thing, but I still don't see the point.

It has been well established that the TARDIS interior can be reconfigured on the fly, so any "map" of the interior is pretty useless.

Doctor Who has never been even remotely hard SciFi. As Gaiman recently said, its more of a fairy tale. The TARDIS is a magic box. And that's good enough for me.

But that's just my opinion. Don't let it stop you from creating or enjoying someone else's creative endeavors.

20. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Starsuperion has done a great job, but as far as I'm concerned it has everything to do with his talent and his imagination, and almost nothing to do with Doctor Who.