Specific Recommendations - First Contact

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr Silver, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I've become intrigued about interpretations of first contact.

Now I've read most of the classics, Niven, Asimov, etc, you name it. What I'm looking for is specific, but realistic enough for people to come up with recommendations.

What I'm looking for is a novel that involves first contact, or at least knowledge/discovery of other intelligent life by the human race. It must be set around this time, or in the very near future so familiar technology, such as the internet and cellular phones will be present, or at least the plot will encompass these ideas (eg, characters using their cell/mobile phones instead of running to a phone box).

I suppose you could say I'm looking for a first contact novel (or a novel that deals with the discovery that "we are not alone") set around present-day, with an emphasis on being realistic. You could say I'm looking for an updated version of Contact, I suppose.

I've done much searching, without really stumbling upon everything. Thanks in advance for any recommendations you may provide.

2. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

It would help if we knew what you'd read that discusses that premise already. There's several that come immediately to mind to me. "Rendezvous with Rama, Sphere, Inherit the Stars", pop into my head right off the bat.

3. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I just finished reading "Barbary" by Vonda McIntyre.

4. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'll want Emprise, Book One of the Trigon Disunity by Michael P. Kube-McDowell

The first book, "Emprise" was set in the early 21st century. Prince William is King of the British Empire after Charles and Diana were killed in an IRA attack.

Another enjoyable first-contact series is Juanita Coulson's Children of the Stars series.
    The four books follow the Saunders family with each book focused on a subsequent generation of the family. Book 1 is likewise set in late 20th or early 21st Century Earth. Book 2 establishes first contact with aliens and the development of FTL. Books 3 and 4 deal with the colonization of other planets and the expansion of humanity among a populated galaxy.

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I remember reading an interesting novel as a child about a Jesuit missionary who makes contact with a reptilian race. I'm sure SF buffs here might know which one.