Does anyone here own and have an opinion on th Babylon 5 Script books?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Nutcase, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Nutcase

Nutcase Ensign Newbie

Hey all

I'm a huge fan of Babylon 5 (it's my joint favourite sci fi show with DS9), and have been offered the chance to buy a set of the Babylon 5 JMS Script books (that were released a few years ago) for a fairly costly but non-Ebay-inflated price. While I have to be very careful with my finances, I am very tempted to buy the set, but was wondering is anyone else here has brought some or all of them and have any comments on whether they're worth it? Also, how much of the books are simply scripts on the episodes compared with the 'further material'?

Any comments would be very appreciated :)

Adam

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Re: Does anyone here own and have an opinion on th Babylon 5 Script bo

I would love to buy them but alas money and I aren't on speaking terms these days.

From what I hear they're excellent, and well worth it if you're a B5 fan or just a fan of scripted television in general.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The person to ask would be Jan. She owns the lot of them, as well as a large number of actual vintage scripts. Probably knows more about B5 scripts in general than JMS himself.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've read positive things about them. I always wanted to get them when they first came out, but couldn't afford them at the time. We used to have a thread on them when they first came out I think...but yeah I echo the Jan sentiments, she'd be the source to tell you about them. I think I saw individual volumes selling on ebay for a hundred bucks each.

5. Candlelight

Not once I crack the combination to her safe she won't.

6. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Jan doesn't have them in a safe, Jan has them in a bookcase. So all you'd have to do is pick the lock on my front door. And just for the record, I've got ALL of the B5 scripts, all legit, none bootleg. :p

Now, to Adam/Nutcase's question...in the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that I've been a member of the Scripts Team since just before Volume 7 came out. I consulted as a 'fan expert' and contributed the 'Joe Cuts' section in Volume 15.

That said, even though I already had the shooting scripts, I bought these books from the start and enjoyed them a lot. I originally thought that I was only interested in JMS' introductions but he sometimes chose different drafts of the scripts than what I had to illustrate some part of the TV-making process. I also enjoyed the photos and memos that are included. Each book is different in the length of the introductions and extra material. Obviously, the majority of each book is taken up by the scripts but the introductions can be pretty lengthy, depending on the episode or subject.

If you've got specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

ETA: Here's an archived page which details many of the features of each book.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20080514013641/http://www.babylon5scripts.com/VolumeContents.htm

Jan

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. Nutcase

Nutcase Ensign Newbie

Thankyou so much for all of that information, as well as the link to the archived webpage :) I feel very lucky to have direct contact with someone linked to the books, I had no idea that could happen on this forum!

In the words of Sam Beckett: 'Oh boy!' I am so tempted, and need to decide. I'm going to sort through my finances, I'm sure I can work this out if I'm careful over the next month or so.

If I may ask you another question :) Is the typeface used on the scripts (as shown on the sample pages on the weblink) the same even on the introductions etc, and are the pictures in the books all black and white?

8. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I'm no expert on fonts and things but it looks to me like both the scripts and introductions are in Times New Roman. The introductions are set for ease of reading and have about 30 lines per page. Looks like the scripts have about 54 lines per page, not counting title lines and 'Continued' on the upper and lower borders.

All of the photos inside the books are in black & White but at some point (Volume 8, I think) JMS discovered some of the concept art done by the late Peter Ledger from when he was trying to sell the show and those color pieces appear on the back covers of the books from then on.

Hope that's helpful.

Jan

9. Admiral_Young

I know this was meant to be a one time only deal thing, but given the popularity of the script books and the ongoing interest from fans do you think JMS would consider doing a "second edition" Jan ? Is that even feasible now? I know the Crusade books are still available and I've been debating on getting the conversations books.

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

JMS' promise to the fans was that these (the 14 volume set) would never be reprinted in this form. Which isn't to say that perhaps the scripts might become available in a different kind of publication but as I interpret it, the introductions and additional material, including Volume 15 will not be made available again.

Me, I just wish the rest of the 'What the Hell Happened' books would come out but the busier JMS gets, the less likely it seems to be for it to happen soon.

I've lost track of whether the 'Echoes' books are supposed to be a limited publication or not. Might want to check the website.

Jan

11. Candlelight

Specifically... can I have your scripts?

:p

12. Candlelight

Seriously though, remind me again what this was (mentioned in Volumn 10):

How far did it differ from what we got?

13. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I'm always willing to entertain offers. Impress me. :devil:

This one would have featured Sheridan, Delenn, G'Kar, Marcus, Franklin and Mathras (Zathras' twin brother-called that because JMS didn't want to deal with explaining the Zathrii to studio execs). :lol:

ETA: Okay, now I've actually looked at the question and I'll answer the part about season 5.

A Techno-Mage would come back to see if the coast is clear for the others to come back as well as to help Sheridan. Ivanova divides her time between the Station and a new Warlock class destroyer she'll be commanding. Someone claiming to be Sheridan's and Delenn's son arrives, purportedly from the future. A new force arrives that targets the Rangers. Franklin's asked to help run the Station by Ivanova. G'Kar would become a trusted confidante to Ivanova.

Jan

14. Candlelight

I doubt I'd be able to come up with anything that would sound impressive (there's a reason I never bought the scripts when they first came out :()

Be keen to read Babylon Squared and Severed Dreams at some stage.

I remember that now. Other than the time travelling son I like the sound of the proposed season. I don't see how Ivanova would work, unless the Warlock was assigned to help defend the station, similar to the Defiant from DS9.

The added influence of the Rangers coming in to help defend the frontier would've been good from the perspective that they were progressively taking more and more responsibilities away from the station staff, which would ultimately dovetail into the reasoning behind station's destruction in the finale.

15. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy crap. I would love to read that Rangers concept as a series of novels.

The 10 books and 6 short stories which are in continuity are still to this day some of my favorite parts of the B5 universe. I really wanted more of those, and if that's the only way I'll ever get more B5... I'll take it.

Babylon_5:_To_Dream_in_the_City_of_Sorrows

Babylon_5:_Dark_Genesis_-_The_Birth_of_the_Psi_Corps
    Babylon_5:_Deadly_Relations_-_Bester_Ascendant
    Babylon_5:_Final_Reckoning_-_The_Fate_of_Bester

Babylon_5:_Legions_of_Fire_-_The_Long_Night_of_Centauri_Prime
    Babylon_5:_Legions_of_Fire_-_Armies_of_Light_and_Dark
    Babylon_5:_Legions_of_Fire_-_Out_of_the_Darkness

Babylon_5:_The_Passing_of_the_Techno-Mages_-_Casting_Shadows
    Babylon_5:_The_Passing_of_the_Techno-Mages_-_Summoning_Light
    Babylon_5:_The_Passing_of_the_Techno-Mages_-_Invoking_Darkness

Shorts:
    "The Shadow of His Thoughts", by J. Michael Straczynski (Summer 1999, Amazing Stories Magazine)
    "Genius Loci", by J. Michael Straczynski (Winter 2000, Amazing Stories Magazine)
    "Space, Time, and the Incurable Romantic", by J. Michael Straczynski (Summer 2000, Amazing Stories Magazine)
    "Hidden Agendas", by J. Michael Straczynski (May 2000, The Official Babylon 5 Magazine)
    "True Seeker", by Fiona Avery (July 2000, The Official Babylon 5 Magazine)
    "The Nautilus Coil", by J. Gregory Keyes (August 2000, The Official Babylon 5 Magazine)

16. Admiral_Young

The Rangers concept sounds awesome. I wish we got more B5 novels. I think they're the best medium to continue to expand the universe personally.

17. Candlelight

I've got all of those except for the middle Bester novel, two of the Legions books and Hidden Agendas. They are pretty good.

18. Admiral_Young

I love the Bester/PsiCorp Trilogy and the Centauri trilogy. To me these were the best, the Technomage trilogy was okay.

19. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

To the OP - If you have the option, and the finances available to do so - get the series. They are well worth it. Each of JMS's episodes features a brand-new essay introduction (between 10,000-30,000 words), and every script has at least one thing that was cut out of the broadcast episode.

Most have pictures, memos that were written by the staff, or by TNT, or by Warner/PTEN. Some show just how much thought was put into the making of the series, while others show just what kind of stupidity the B5 crew were dealing with from the "network." They are fascinating reads.

20. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Got them, very much enjoy them.