Nu T-Pring

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Oct 3, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well I'd like to see Caitlhin Dar again.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    She reminded me more of a soap opera character than a Romulan.

But at least she didn't have one of those stupid one-size/style fits everybody on the planet hairstyles.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

There's more to who the Romulans are than an alleged lack of "logic". They simply reject the Surakian School of logic that requires emotional suppression.

4. teacake

But what's always interested me is that the Vulcans make out that rejecting emotional suppression would tear their world apart, that they would be savages. I think the myth of the bad stuff that emotions will do to you has grown rather inflated with time. The Romulans have a perfectly civilized empire, yes they wage war but they also have a developed culture. They don't seem any more deranged by emotions and violence than, say, the Cardassians.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nobody has ever explained how the Rommies "get away with" snubbing logic, have they? Either the Vulcans are full of it, or, more interestingly, the Romulans have solved the problem in some other way, directing hostility outwards via vicious xenophobia, perhaps? Someday, some writers need to seriously tackle this question.

Also, T'Pring shouldd be played by Morena Baccarin or Kristin Ritter or possibly Lizzy Caplan.

6. teacake

The Baccarin choice is awesome.

Of course instead of just repressing stuff the Romulans have had centuries (milennia? what exactly is the time frame here?) to learn how to manage their strong emotions.

Even though one of the Free Chicken Eating Vulcans in ENT was a dickhead it's not like the ship didn't function. It functioned better than Klingon vessels with everyone assassinating each other and throwing half eaten targ bones on the floor.

7. Nerys Myk

I think the Romulans and Cardassians have many things in common. Both strike me as being totalitarian and Fascistic. Especially the Romulans and their devotion to the Praetor. I think by focusing on devotion to the leader and the state they have found a way to channel their more aggressive tendencies away from "savagery". I know we like to think of the Romulans as xenophobes, but perhaps they just like to prioritize things. The Federation has been a secondary priority from time to time. The Feds are probably lucky the Romulans are a "buffer" between them and the Rommies first priority.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would Spock break off a promising upcoming marriage with a girl from the right side of the track, just because he having a casual fling with one (or more) of his students?

:devil:

9. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does it really need need addressing?

Kirk once gave someone a speech in A Taste of Armageddon about the human race, saying; "We can admit that we're killers, but we won't kill... today."

Isn't it the same for Vulcan's? They know/admit emotions are strong, with potential to cause civilizations destruction but they simply are not going to act on them... today. No magic wand required, just perseverance NOT to be controlled by them.

10. teacake

But Romulans manage to not self destruct and can still laugh their heads off.

Wait.. has anyone ever seen a Romulan laugh?

11. Nerys Myk

:rommie: All the time

12. teacake

I just knew that was coming.

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a high probability that T'Pring was killed on Vulcan. However if she wasn't, wouldn't Spock be honour bound to take her as a mate and father children with her, seeing as how the Vulcan population has been decimated?

It would be the most logical option.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

But, he's a half breed, surely they wouldn't go out of their way to have him as breeding stock. Now sure, I doubt they would attempt to prevent him from breeding, but, recruiting him wouldn't be their first priority, I wouldn't think

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  15. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

Actually, if T'Pring is still alive, the most logical option would be to break the bond between her and Spock, and bond her to a fully Vulcan male whose bond-mate had died in the cataclysm for 3 reasons: 1. It saves a life that the Vulcans can ill-afford to lose. 2. As a hybrid, Spock is probably sterile, so having him bonded to a fertile woman is a waste of her potential genes. And 3. Even if he isn't sterile, considering Vulcan prejudices, his half-human genes are not necessarily wanted in their gene pool. Considering how few Vulcans their are, within a certain number of generations, every Vulcan will be part human, which sort of defeats the purpose.

~FS

16. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I know that was why I was asking,may be Nu Spock wouldn't stand her but they as Vulcan need to do the most important thing for their near extinct race.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

A role Spock could fill, despite Vulcan bigotry. Their population is a tiny percentage of what it used to be. In human-Vulcan offspring, the Vulcan genes always appear to be the most dominant, whilst strict discipline and control will keep those pesky emotions under control, whilst with each generation the human blood is diluted further and further.

In the early scripts of TVH Saavik was to be pregnant by Spock. Due to the importance of procreation in this situation and the set backs it can occur, it would make sense to adopt a process of in vitro fertilisation, so as to ensure conception.

Hardly every Vulcan would be part human, only the direct line of Spock--admittedly that could be quite a few, if even a single child was conceived ever seven years.

Vulcan are surprisingly small-minded, considering IDIC. But whilst facing such dire circumstances, they'll have to get over themselves :vulcan:

18. teacake

I think if Klingons, Vulcans, Humans and who knows who else, all with vastly different physiologies can manage to breed perfectly healthy children then ensuring the blended offspring are fertile is a very simple matter. We're talking totally different organs and blood already overcome.

I think they would attempt to prevent him. I suspect Vulcan society will become more totalitarian and controlled in the interests of logically ensuring the best continuance of the race. They may end up more like the Romulans.

19. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Has she ever even been mentioned by JJ and crew?

20. teacake

Nope. But it's not like they mention anything.

For all we know she's the villain of ST:XII and is being played by Cumberbatch!