AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

Its a shame that Wanda and Jan are tied up elsewhere, they are the two heroines that I associate the most with the Avengers. Black Widow isn't even the third or fourth character that springs to mind when you say female Avenger.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

when Jeremy Renner first mentioned having talked to Marvel, back last year in Empire mag, he said Hawkeye was appearing in Captain America. if that's true, it would a) probably be in the modern book-ends and b) not be too different to them using BW in IM2 and re-using her in Avengers.

i'm slightly surprised Rhodey/WM ain't in Avengers though...

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Positive discrimination!

4. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Titties is my kind of discrimination!

5. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gratuitous boob jokes aside, I think in an ensemble movie it's important to aim for a mix of characters. Ms Marvel loses out because she is super strong and can fly, pretty much like Iron Man and Thor, and they have other gimmicks on top. Granted, I haven't read Avengers recently so I don't know if she's been given another revamp since her days as Binary. We could be faced with a similar problem with Ant Man and the Wasp and it seems to be the women who lose out.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^She's been given a slight revamp in that Marvel has been treating her as their most prominent superheroine in the past few years, leader of the Avengers, at the forefront of the Secret Invasion and Dark Reign storylines etc.

7. Pauln6

That's cool - mind you if Ms Marvel was introduced I'd want Rogue to screw her over and steal her powers for at least one X-movie. Sorry Carol.

8. Shazam!

I agree.

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Whooooooaaaah no, Carol's been depowered enough times in the comics already.

Depowering is the absolute laziest thing you can do in a story about a superhero. If they want to do Avengers 2 they can steer well clear of that.

10. Pauln6

Oh no, not in Avengers 2 - in X-men 4 or 5 but they would need to introduce Carol in Avengers first obviously for the mind wipe to have any real meaning. I loved Rogue in X-men 1 but she was a bit superfluous in 2 and 3. She needs super strength and flight and somebody else's personality in her head to make her interesting again. There were even a few comics where Carol's consciousness took complete control of her body. I don't think that would be lazy story-telling though - it's a classic part of the characters' history with quite a lot of potential.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^No, it's lazy.

You give a character superpowers and the only way you can tell an interesting story is to take them away ? What was the point of giving them to that person in the first place ?

Heroes jumped the shark when it started doing that over and over again, so I would hope that nobody would be dumb enough to do it here.

12. Pauln6

Don't be silly, it isn't the only way you can tell an interesting story but it is one way.

Heroes had various problems with its stories, much as I enjoyed them, including a tendency to use the reset button, and rehashing themes that should have been done and dusted. Plus, it isn't really Carol's story, it's Rogue's - Carol becomes a vegetable after losing her mind (in the comics Professor X actually restored most of her memories but none of the emotions attached to them - there was also a great scene where she chewed out the Avengers for abandoning her). In Heroes, Nicky's split personality was an interesting twist on the alter ego theme and giving some of that to Rogue could be interesting too. Carol can sit in a coma for a movie for all I care.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Well, as someone who sits fairly high up in the Ms. Marvel's Biggest Fan rankings I most definitely would care if she spent an entire movie in a coma!

I'm not being 'silly'. Practically every superhero with powers to lose I can think of has been depowered at some point.

14. Shazam!

That's not why you were being called silly. You were being called silly because you said that depowering a hero was the 'only' way to tell an interesting story. Which is silly.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

One of, if not THE, driving forces of Hulk stories is that Banner wants to be "de-powered" and not be Hulk.

Granted other heroes don't have Banners problem, just saying its not necessarily a bad story telling device.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Did people miss the question mark ?

17. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

How is asking for representation discrimination?

Particularly when it assumes that the status quo would otherwise be discrimination-free, when clearly it isn't?

18. Pauln6

It does depend on how the stories are handled. The Thing's moaning did get a bit old but Storm had her powers wiped by Forge in the 90s and it led to a very interesting story arc. Wolvie lost his powers nad started to die (since his bones couldn't make enough red blood cells).

It is true though that most long term heroes have lost their powers at least once! In terms of a movie franchise, I think they will only do it if they want to resolve a character's story to introduce some new characters. Since it is part of any character's comic history, nobody is safe!

Plus fans of Ms Marvel need not worry if she is in a coma for an Xmen movie as long as she's awake again for the next Avengers flick. Ms Marvel and Wasp do seem the most likely candidates for the future but the line up may well depend on who they think they can sell as a solo franchise. Maybe Hawkeye is up for his own flick and Mockingbird will feature there...?

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

One problem the X-Men movies and the Avengers film are not in the same continuity becuase Fox has the film rights to X-Men.

20. Pauln6

That's a pretty big problem! Looks like Carol is safe. Still, it could be 10 years before they make X-men 4, who knows how the land will lie by then...

Where does that leave Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch then? And by association, the Vision!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.