Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by dub, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

TOS: The Changeling

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Nomad Probe erased her mind in The Changeling.

Sleep eduction drugs.

Later they ripped off this script to make The Motionless Picture as if it had been us who had had our memories blanked.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was it red dwarfed?

Now I can hear Rain saying "smeg" and Tom saying, "what was THAT?" and Rain saying..

It's clear to me I would be over Rain and her embarrassing 20th century name dropping and fauxbles in about one episode.

4. Guy Gardener

Isn't it fortunate then that Sarah just happens to be the most beautiful woman in the world?

5. teacake

Yes. That would save it.

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I've never been a fan of Red Dwarf.

Actually, I can see Neelix being ecstatic to meet Rain - here's somebody who isn't so serious all the time, whee! I can also see Rain taking one look at Neelix and asking to be taken back to where/when she came from.

7. Guy Gardener

Replicating microwave pizza seems redundant.

She doesn't seem like the home maker to even think about taking over the kitchen.

8. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

... AGREED!!!

[​IMG]

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really hated that this show gave Kes the lifespan of a hamster! :brickwall:

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well at least they tried to make her alien somehow.... but between the short lifespan... wacky reset button sensitive mind powers, mustard hands and babys falling out of back sacks(I wonder how many Ocampa babies were dropped during those standing back pregnancies?).... they really just threw a bunch of random crap out there to make them seem alien without thinking about it.

11. teacake

And don't forget her pretty ears.

But hey at least she wasn't a FOREHEAD ALIEN.

12. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

The short life span was a chance to do something different with an alien species, but they seriously dropped the ball with Kes, a lot.
    The weird pregnancy thing doesn't bother me, but the single pregnancy only for Ocampas would pretty quickly dwindle their numbers down, since every pair only reproduces one baby to replace them, and not every child will reproduce due to early deaths and life choices. I pretend that's something the Caretake did to them to reduce their population with the intention of fixing it later when he got their numbers down to whatever he wanted. I love Kes's mental powers, even if they were poorly defined, a lot of interesting things could be done with them. I am a sucker for that kind of sensitive mysticism though.
    If they'd kept Kes around I like to think some interesting things could've been done with her. She could've gone on to have a baby like she did in The Year From Hell (but please don't let the baby marry Harry, that was sooo creepy since she'd have grown up with him like an uncle), and by the finale she could have died of old age after making some valiant sacrifice to save everyone/get them home, or she could've evolved past the limits of her species somehow.
    While I hated her relationship with Neelix, I did kind of like that Kes could love him, it just showed how emotionally evolved she was to see past, well, everything, and was so capable of loving. I do wonder how things would've gone if she had been the one to wind up with Tom instead of Blanna.

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the Caretaker created the Ocampa as a race of sex slaves. Seriously... they only live seven years. They reach sexual maturity in less than a year. They can only give birth once, so there's no chance of pregnancy. If they do give birth the child is even odds to die from hitting the ground after dropping from that back sack, and they don't "age" until the last year of their life.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

An interesting way of showing the Ocampan lifecycle would've been for them to have Kes go through her maturation within the show instead of starting out as an adult.

IE, introduce her as a little girl, then 1 season later she's a teen. Throughout the second season she goes from a young teen to a young adult, and then by next season she's played by Jennifer Lien as the adult Kes.

It would show that the Ocampa really do age accelerated, instead of her always being an adult.

15. teacake

R. Star don't you think they have midwives? OR if giving birth alone, they would crouch over a bed?

16. Guy Gardener

A birthing sack between their shoulder blades is where the baby gestates for 3 months.

Kes looked like she was crucified from a parallel bar when she gave birth in before and after.

Tom acted like a midwife, but the term sack would suggest an inflated flap of skin that might grow outside of her body.

While pregnant she would look/seem/appear hunchbacked.

17. teacake

This is all quite disgusting.

How long was the gestation again?

18. Guy Gardener

Google suggests that we don't know, god knows where I got three months from?

19. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Janeway would have made an excellent beard...

20. teacake