ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Both got a 4,5 out of 5 rating. Here's what Blu-Ray.com had to say about the picture and sound quality. You can find the entire review here.

It sounds like the Blu Ray is only a marginal bump in quality compared to the DVDs. :(

2. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

This is pretty much EXACTLY what I expected based on my initial impressions of the promo material released thus far. As I stated up-thread, I'll wait for my own discs to make a definitive judgement - but it's not looking good. This is just my opinion you understand - I'm not knocking the show itself, I'm a big fan in actuality, but I was certainly hoping for more with this set.

4. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

People really need to separate the ENT set from the TNG sets - aside from the masterful bonus features, the picture quality is a completely different beast since it didn't go through the remastering process that TNG has received. Reviewing one against the other isn't really applicable, sadly.

5. groundhog

groundhog Lieutenant Red Shirt

That's why I posted a bit ago that I was hoping after DS9 and VOY are remastered as TNG is now (and you know they will), ENT will be done in the same fashion.

6. LOKAI of CHERON

But the comparisons are unavoidable I'm afraid. Professional reviewers will most certainly make them. As I've already stated, for me, and I suspect many others, it's the end product and how it appears on screen that really matters.

I don't ask this in a nasty or haughty way, but how do you suggest the discs are reviewed? Should we give 5 star marks for PQ, and post a small disclaimer stating inferior processes were employed in production - essentially, stating they're brilliant within the context of the inferior process?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  7. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Maybe they should have compared the ENT sets to TOS sets?:confused:

9. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good Digital Bits review:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/star-trek-enterprise-season-1

Wait. They wanted to use U2's "Beautiful Day" as the theme song? Didn't know that. It was massive and everywhere at the time.

Another example of the slightly schizophrenic nature of Enterprise. You shake it up by going for a title sequence with a pop song... like CSI, like Scrubs, like *ugh* Dawson's Creek. But they don't follow through with that thinking (for better or worse), by making the whole soundtrack unlike any Star Trek that came before. Instead one foot is kept in the past, by still very much sticking with the house-style of full orchestral playing future classical, that had remained since TNG quit experimenting with electronic.

Having said that, every so often that one episode really does stands out, or there's a punch the air moment which helps the story be memorable. Even Con Air spoof "Canamar" has that. Although it's debatable whether it deserves to sound quite that epic!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  10. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I'm just watching "Silent Enemy" right now. It looks like CBS did some digital altering of the color compared to the DVD picture just to make it look better, but it's nothing like color change that was done for TOS or TNG---it doesn't give it that "WOW" feeling (and for the shot of the ship at warp, just after Hoshi and Reed share dinner together it looked like for a minute it went to black and white).

But if you look at 27:23 on both the Blu-Ray and DVD, you can see that the shot is reframed for the Blu-Ray for some reason. Aside from shifting the picture over to center it, it really doesn't add to the image (infact it displays more of the graphic on the back wall, that fades into black because of how the lighting was done).

And the CGI creatures in this episode just do not stand up well, they look like some horrible 1950's Sci-Fi alien made out of clay, or something that should be in a Nintendo 64 game.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I grant that some FX will not look pristine but I'm still looking over comparison images and the bluray shots are ALL superior, even with minor aliasing. No one has any reason to complain.

RAMA

12. ChristopherPike

13. LOKAI of CHERON

Reporting the HD image quality is softer and more inconsistent than other Star Trek, and indeed, comparable Blu-ray TV releases is merely a statement of the facts - no more, no less.

14. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Blu-Ray.com said the VFX were presented in SD, but weren't the original effects rendered at 720 and not 480? That would make them HD, even though they're upconverted from there.

15. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

16. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I got it yesterday and it looks rather good.

17. ChristopherPike

Whoops. Wrong thread.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  18. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I was very happy when I heard that the fx for Enterprise would not be recreated the way they were in TNG, but what I hear and see now makes me less enthusiastic about it. Especially the color "corrections" ... I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my order ... :confused:

19. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

After watching the live video on the Blu-rays, the color correction is much less noticeable than in the screencaps; I was just as worried but am satisfied with the final look.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Compared to the other remasters, much of it yes. But compare color, detail, contrast, the bluray is noticeably better than the DVD.

RAMA