Primeval series 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think most TV people forget that the UK has a middle or a north.:rolleyes:
    I'm I the only person sick to death of seeing the London eye and the Gherkin in every show.

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Which was rather nice about this years run of Doctor Who, apart from the pre credits sequence in The Eleventh Hour, none of it was in London.

I'm not even sure if the ARC is even based in London or near by now as the anomaly where Conner and Aby came through in episode one was in Liverpool and was it Jess who said they were mere minutes away from it.

Just tried watching episode two on ITVPlayer, but it kept on refreshing every minute or so and then buggered up fully around ten minutes in, so I'll try again tomorrow.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As a US viewer, I'd request that comments on episode 2 be kept inside spoiler boxes until we get to see it in six days.

A valid point. But then, aren't most exotic fictional phenomena drawn overwhelmingly to London, New York, Los Angeles, or Tokyo? ;) (And when they do show up elsewhere in the world, it's always in proximity to the Eiffel Tower, the Pyramids, the Sydney Opera House, and other prominent landmarks.)

Seriously, I've often wondered about the anomalies elsewhere in the world and why the ARC doesn't deal with them. Maybe the rumored US or Canadian spinoff would address them.

Just like they forget that there's more in between New York and LA than a bunch of backwoods hicks and farmers.

I know the Eye is that big Ferris wheel, but what's the Gherkin?

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_St_Mary_Axe

Seen both episodes now. Liked em both, the show still seems fun. Glad the first episode began with a bit of a recap as I've still never seen series 3.

Can't beleive they did an S Club song! :lol: Hannah was always my favourite though, and I quite like the longer hair...Connor is coold too, in fact the whole cast seems interesting (aside maybe from Jess) IT's really great to see Siddig again.

5. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

Christopher fair enough, but what is forum policy, ill ask the mods, in the meantime, just for you

none of the new characters are really gripping me at the moment, and Abbey is almost doing a Helen Cutter impression at times. Also why are Connor & Abbey wearing matching outfits? seen from the top Connor was in danger of looking like he was a memeber of the Fansatic Four.

As for the Arc, no one seems to trust anybody at all, cant buy into the new team whilst they are behaving like that.

6. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

The Swiss Re Building is a modernist, bullet-shaped building in London's Financial District designed by Sir Norman Foster. Nicknamed The Gherkin because it looks like...a big Gherkin :)

7. Christopher

Okay, that answers what the Gherkin is, but now I'm dying to know how a street ended up being named "St Mary Axe."

Ahh, here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary_Axe

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Yep, sick of seeing London. At least Being Human, Skins and Shameless are set else where. I believe the BBC have promised to start making more shows in the regions and countries where they have a presence. So Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Hull, Scotland and Wales at the very least are likely to see some more productions too.

Christopher I've not seen anything about the spin off or movie in months, I saw something about the Reeves-Stevens writing scripts for the spin off and Warner buying the rights to the movie but nothing since.

9. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about Torchwood (Cardiff, Wales)? It's a good choice since nobody would really notice if the city was sucked into The Rift, but still ...

Why do they concentrate so much on London anyway, considering how expensive that city is?

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Torchwood, yeah, I wasn't naming every show outside London otherwise Corrie and Emmerdale would be on there too. :)
    Oh how could I forget This is England. Brilliant show and fantastic that it's not in London.

I think it's just because so much of the media is concentrated there they forget the rest of the country exists.

11. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I think Jess will be OK in the long run.

Hey, quick question for you soundtrack buffs, I'm doing a quick rewatch of earlier eps, up tto s1e04, and I really like a piece of energetic guitar rock they use (when they're entering the tower block, about 3 minutes in). Anyone know what it is or where I could get it?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Wamdue, I got a Fantastic Four vibe too :)

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

well, i liked Jess and i liked both episodes.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I enojyed the return episode, I thought it was handled well. Doesn't really make sense that after a whole year surviving back there, Connor and Abby are banned from travel through the vortexes, but, I'm hoping it'll play out in good drama.

Becker seems to have stepped up a bit in his "leadership" role.

15. Christopher

From another point of view, it makes perfect sense. The idea is "they've suffered enough." They've been through more than should be asked of any civilian, and they're the lucky ones, since other civilians (Nick, Steven, Sarah, and probably Danny, they assume) have died doing this work.

And there is real-world validity to that idea. In fiction, protagonists can go through horrible ordeals on a weekly basis, get injured several times a season, witness their friends and colleagues dying around them, and still be perfectly capable of functioning for five or seven years on end. In reality, people who go through ordeals like that are physically and emotionally traumatized and it would simply be cruel and dangerous to force them to continue. Real-life military personnel on hazardous duty get rotated back home before too long. Experienced or not, they aren't asked to keep risking their lives and their mental health indefinitely.

Really, after all they've endured, Abby and Connor should be allowed to retire on a government pension and get free therapy for as long as they need it. So while I'm sure the conceits of series television will lead them to get back into the game, the new policy of the ARC actually makes a great deal of sense by any realistic standard.

Well, he's the leader of the security personnel, same as last year, but Matt's the leader of the team and Becker's superior. So I'm not sure what you mean by this.

16. Sindatur

Well sure, when you put it into those kind of reality statements, it makes perfect sense, but, we've never seen that kind of realism in most TV shows ;)

On Becker, that's why the quote marks around "Leadership", he bowed compeltely to Danny's authority, not so much, it didn't seem to Matt's Becker came off as more of a Leader in this first episode, then he did in the prior season, to me at least.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

OK, saw the first episode of season 4 and realized due to the recap that I must have missed some of the last episodes of season 3. Was it shown in it's entirety on BBCA?

18. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I assume so, cant see BBCAm investing in a show as much as it has in Primevel, if its not giong to show the second half of a series.

19. Sindatur

It's been a while, but, yea, I recorded onto DVD the last episode in late July 2009 from either the airing, or the next day or so on On Demand Cable. I meant to watch it before the premiere, to refresh myself, but didn't get a chance. I was surprised at how much the episode reminded me I forgot. :confused:

20. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

There were webisodes, and I decided to catch up with them.. They explain a bit more about what's going on.

Try this link, or they may be on YT:

http://blastr.com/2010/12/5-webisodes-you-should-watch-before-seeing-primeval-season-4.php

No answer to my soundtrack question above? :(

And another quick question, do we know why Doug Henshall, the guy who played Hart and Lucy Brown moved on? I know about Laila Rouass wanting to raise her children. I'm just thinking of ways they could fit in, even if for one ep to clear things up.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011