Vanguard

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by bismarck_1892, Apr 25, 2008.

1. bismarck_1892

bismarck_1892 Captain Captain

Hey,

When is the next Vanguard book coming out?

Thx.

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

May 2009. It's title hasn't been revealed yet and it will be written by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore.

3. greenmystik

greenmystik Captain Captain

Seems a bit far off.

Damn these release dates!

What's wrong with monthly publications, seriously. :scream:

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The books are published monthly, there's just more than one series. Even if Vanguard itself were published once a month, there'd have to be at least half a dozen writers working on it and the editor would be completely swamped (unless all other Trek novel series were cancelled to make room for nonstop VGD). So you'd still have to wait the same amount of time for the next Ward/Dilmore VGD book, unless you wanted it to be much shorter or less good.

5. Kevin Dilmore

Kevin Dilmore Captain Captain

^And let me know now. I can do much shorter and less good pretty much all by myself. :)

Bubba D.

6. greenmystik

greenmystik Captain Captain

I like longer reads of course I just hate having to wait 6-12 months (or longer) for a new book in any series.

What about hiring more editors and writers and publishers and blah blah blah. That would be nice wouldn't it. More Trek for everybody.

*Wakes up*

7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Monthly publications are fine if every book in your series is, say, 130 pages long. So if you're looking for Goosebumps or Animorphs or Everworld, you're good to go. (And that's not a slam on those series. I was a huge Animorphs fan as a kid and think it was a lovely series that had much more depth and relevance than most folks gave it credit for.)

BUT.

You're talking about novels written for adults. That are typically at least 200 pages long. You can't just churn that out once a month. A good adult novel will almost always take at least nine months to a year to produce.

8. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

And then there was Isaac Asimov.

(In general, actually, the 20th Century masters worked remarkably quickly, often turning out several successful, thoughful books a year.)

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but that's like comparing any given composer's work to Mozart's; it's just not fair.

10. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

^ I always compare them to Mozart. ;)

Maybe that's why I often feel so musically unfulfilled.

If we do things by the book, Admiral.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never undstood this myself, because almost all popular book series take at least a year or more to get new releases.

12. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

^ Not Star Wars, the most superficially similar to Star Trek.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I thought there were as many series-within-series of SW novels as there were ST? Surely not all of the various SW book series are coming out that frequently and simultaneously?

14. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SW novels are all part of a shared continuity, but they are released as standalones or as series of two, three, nine (Legacy of the Force and X-Wing), or 19 (The New Jedi Order). There's generally no more than a year between installments, and the wait has been about three months for installments of the same series recently. For example, Legacy of the Force started in May 2006 and will end next month.

The overall release pace is slower than ST, but individual series have shorter wait times between books.

15. Therin of Andor

And yet, when Pocket does a mini-series, they have been known to come out one instalment per month, or even two instalments in the one month ("Gateways"; "New Earth"), or once three in the one month (""My Brother's Keeper").

The recent "Crucible" trilogy was three rather thick books only two months apart. The current "Terok Nor" trilogy is three books, one per month.

16. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Not quite -- the three books in DRG3's trilogy were released in September, December, and February.

17. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Were they originally scheduled to be released consecutively?

18. Therin of Andor

Two months between each issue, or thereabouts, was what I was aiming at. I'd already checked the dates; I figured there was no need for more more accuracy than that. :cool:

19. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Oh, okay, I misread what you wrote as the three books coming out in two months' time, not two months between releases.... :)

20. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Like Republic Commando?

Hard Contact: October 2004
    Triple Zero: February 2006
    True Colors: October 2007
    Order 66: September 2008