Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I liked that. Jet black hair is extraordinarily rare among caucasians, yet a remarkable percentage of comic book characters have it - Clark, Lois, Bruce Wayne, even ol' Captain Marvel. To some degree it was probably a comic coloring convention of the 1930s, as you don't see it very often among new characters introduced in the 1960s - not Peter Parker nor any of the Fantastic Four, nor Hal Jordan or Barry Allen nor...you get the idea. That Lois's, at least, was a dye job made a lot of sense.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because the counterexample looks retarded?

We shouldn't use it.

I dunno. I can't find a stat, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. Unless me , my dad, my first girlfriend, this other chick I knew, and several dozen other people I know (and more if you count Jews and Arabs as Caucasian) are all strange outliers. In which case, cool, I have a superpower! :p

3. Admiral Buzzkill

I have no idea what Selina Kyle is supposed to look like other than Julie Newmar. I notice in issue #1 of her book that she seems to be quite flexible, which I guess makes sense.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A lot of dark haired Celts and Southern Europeans as well. As I understand it fairhaired Celts tend to have some Norse in their ancestry.

5. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there's a strong argument.
    She wore this outfit well into the 80s, if not more recently, interspersed with several variants, to be sure. But her hair was long pretty much throughout.

John Byrne gave Sue Richards a short hairdo at one point. Didn't last. It doesn't mean she should have a bob in the movie.

Though, of course, the movie seemed to go with a whole change of ethnicity, but that's another issue...

6. Nerys Myk

Just because the actress was Hispanic didn't mean Sue was. Thats like saying Reed was Welsh because Ioan Gruffudd is.

7. Myasishchev

Thing is, I don't just mean the length of her hair, I mean that entire get-up; and I don't mean just from an aesthetic point of view.

What I mean is, it's entirely thoughtless about what the character would need to wear to be effective and what her activities might entail. Batman doesn't wear a floor-length robes.

The hair's actually not even in the top five things of what's wrong with it. Those spots go to: 1)poor balance; 2)lack of protection for rolling falls; 3)aerodynamic braking and trip hazard of the dress; 4)aerodynamic braking and trip hazard of the cape; 5)only medium environmental concealment; 6)very poor identity concealment. So the obstruction of vision, aerodynamic braking, and combat weakness of the hair is actually like number 7. And that's before I get into any aesthetic criticisms.

Oh and number 8 is no one wants to shave their legs every time they have to go to work, but this may not apply since comic book women only have terminal hair on their heads. Thanks Harper's Bazaar!

Now I'm overthinking this a bit, but I wouldn't have to, because someone else named Darwyn Cooke already did that for me and designed an excellent practical costume... that everyone since has been doing their damnedest to turn into fetish wear or not to draw entirely or both.

P.S. Sue Storm's got superpowers. She's like the most powerful combatant on Earth, that isn't Professor X or Jean Grey. And she can turn invisible. So she can wear her hair any way she wants; but even she doesn't wear fall-down-and-lose-a-square-foot-of-skin costume. Well, not anymore. Oh, man, that was an unpleasant time. We can laugh now.

8. Nerys Myk

A drawing doesn't really have to be practical. Batman's costume is all sorts of impractical. The cape and mask especially. Practically sucks the life out of superheroes.

9. Myasishchev

Depends on who's drawing. Kelly Jones certainly made it a monstrosity. But assuming the argument, although the cape is certainly unrealistic, it's an acceptable break because it looks cool in an an action scene. High heels never look cool in any kind of action scene.

10. Nerys Myk

Most female heroes aren't designed to look cool in action scenes. They're designed to look cool when striking sexy poses.

I would think any heroes in a mask is asking for trouble in a fight, but Batman's has some nice hand holds on it. Holy vision obscured Batman!!!!!!

From what I understand capes are bad ideas for fliers. They tend to wrap rather than billow.

11. A beaker full of death

Except Gruffudd wasn't obviously Welsh. He did a reasonable American accent. This actress was obviously Hispanic. I didn't even know who she was before seeing the movie, and my first reaction to her upon seeing the film is "why is Sue Hispanic... and her brother not?"
    Other reactions included "why is Sue a sexpot?" and "Wow, she's a bad actress," which I suppose answers the sexpot question.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I must have seen a different movie.

13. Nerys Myk

Since she doesn't speak with an Spanish accent how can she be "obviously Hispanic"? Alba is no more or less Hispanic than Cameron Diaz. Both have fathers who are Hispanic and mothers who are not. If Diaz had been cast would you make the same claim? Or does Diaz not fit your idea of Hispanic because she's a blonde? What if they cast Phoebe Cates or Catherine Zeta -Jones? Both are dark haired and dark eyed, but non-hispanic. Hispanic is not about hair or skin pigmentation.

14. Myasishchev

Indeed. Problemo Numero Uno. Look everybody, I'm Hispanic!

I think it's just a bad idea to get next to jet turbines regardless of what you're wearing.

15. A beaker full of death

oh give me a break with the knee-jerk political correctness. Sue Storm is a wasp. This actress was very obviously Hispanic. You don't have to grow up in a Spanish neighborhood (as I did) to be distrscted it. Of course, by your theory, it was just a lucky guess on my part, since you argue that no one "looks" hispanic.
    Sorry, that's bull. Some people look Mexican. Some people look like Carribean Hispanics. Some people look like South American Hispanics. Lots of Hispanics look totally Anglo. Lots look totally Negro. But to say that no one looks "Hispanic" is simply disingenuous.

I have no idea what these other people you mention look like. If they have dark hair, there's a good chance they wouldn't have looked natural as a blonde either. Sue Storm is a relatively shy blonde WASP. That's the physical and emotional description of the character. She's not a bottle-blonde who points her tits at anything that moves.

16. Myasishchev

Sue Storm? Shy? Not for a while.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't know Jessica Alba is partly of recent Mexican ancestry. I was too busy being pleased with her casting to notice or even care. I love FF, especially Kirby-drawn FF. Kirby Sue Storm would rock my world if she really existed.

Oh, and many Spanish-speaking Mexican immigrants and guest workers live in my city. It's not like I haven't seen plenty. As a matter of fact, my mouth is watering for some steak fajitas.

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why are we suddenly talking about Jessica Alba now? I was being sarcastic about the hairdo thing earlier. Guess that didn't come across :)

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Yep. She looked the part and was great in it.

20. Nerys Myk

Which of her features are Hispanic? If some look totally Anglo and some totally Negro whats the common physical feature that all Hispanics share that tells you they are Hispanic?

Have you been in solitary confinement or stranded on a island for the last 30 odd years? While Cates' star may have dimmed over the decades, Zeta-Jones' hasn't. She's won an Oscar and Tony within the last decade, You might recall her husband, actor Michael Douglas. Yes both have dark hair and dark eyes and that might be grounds for them being miscast as Sue Storm. Not because their ethnic origins didn't match. (Not that we know for sure Sue is actually Anglo Saxon or Protestant) No Sue is not shy. She was simply sterotypically written as "female" for several decades. (She was prone to capture and fatigue) Jean Grey often suffered from the same malady.