Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I walked out on Superman III when it came out years ago.

2. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Most of these critics are in love with kitchen-sink flicks from Sundance Film Festival and England, that's why. Check out the reviews in the entertainment section of tomorrow's paper (The New York Times and any major daily in any big city-the print editions, mind you) and you'll see four and five stars, sometimes even ten, given out to every foreign movie and independent American flick by people like Todd Solenz, Judd Apatow, Paul Thomas Anderson, and anybody else who comes out of and has had movies screened/premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and whose movies appear on the Sundance Channel and IFC. To them, superheroes suck or are anti-intellectual, or the movies aren't that good (with a few exceptions.) I really have nothing against those movies or the directors that make them (I loved The Master from last year), but I think that these critics are in love with those movies (and foreign films) way too much.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, I've never understood that. It's not like they're sports teams or something. Why can't you enjoy Superman AND Spider-Man? Batman AND Wolverine?

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I never get why some people would just like DC or just Marvel. I like a lot of characters from both, personally.

I'm not posting to start an argument, just to say that I find it funny that the negative reviews are bascially all agreeing with my thoughts on the movie. There are a few specific critics I agree with a lot in various places online, and they hated it, so for me atleast I'm sure when it comes out on DVD I'll feel the same, especially after reading spoilers that honestly make me more sad than angry about what Superman became.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Which is what exactly?

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I already said I don't want to start an argument and I meant that (and posting the spoilers I read is probably not something that I should do either). If you know the ending (or have read spoilers like me) then what I'm talking about is obvious. I'm not going to create another big thing in this thread, I just felt like posting my raction to the reviews and spoilers for the movie.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well to be fair, they have liked quite a few superhero films in the past (Donner's Superman, Raimi's Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc). I think they just have an expectation that these movies should all be fun and comic booky like the comic books of the 60s that they probably grew up with.

True the Nolan movies took themselves very seriously, but those were almost more like crime dramas than superhero movies, so I'm not sure you can really include those in the equation.

8. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Seen it.

Wasn't very good, great fight scenes in the last half but not enough to make up for the dull plot, dull characters and it really has no substance to it. I did nearly walk out half way through, I was that bored - the Krypton scene and origin were like a rejected idea from the prequels - but I'm glad I didn't as the fight scenes were admittedly spectacular. I would summarise it as Transformers but without cheesiness, self awareness and that takes itself very seriously. There is very little humour or cheesiness. It was a big dumb action movie without any redeeming features outside of the impressive action set pieces.

Henry Cavill was fine as Superman though, even though I thought he was too angry and whiny.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's perfectly reasonable not to like either of those at all - there are sound reasons of taste and aesthetics to find both genres lacking.

I don't happen to have that kind of taste, though. I'm thoroughly enjoying watching much of what the studios emit while their execs keep riding these dinosaurs to Hell. :lol:

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Though it should be noted that I loved Superman Returns and the Reeve movies.

I'm really pretty angry with it actually, I went in with no expectations and it was still really bad. Everytime I type something or post something, I think of something else that pissed me off. The music was really terrible, it was just war drums the entire time. There was nothing impressive or inspiring about it.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

As someone who liked parts of Superman Returns (the Alex Ross influenced scenes) I thought Man of Steel was great!

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am with you there! I do not mind them at all either.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Hans Zimmer is simply no John Williams, and the wrong choice for Superman. He makes rhythmic noises, not music. He was a good choice for The Dark Knight trilogy, because that low key stuff worked there. But still, the best parts from the Dark Knight trilogy soundtracks come from James Newton Howard.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I've seen the movie and the ending is something that has been used in Superman stories before. Notiably in Byrne's run. Superman's reaction to this event was totally in character.

You do get that posting anything will get a response, right? It's kind of why this format exists. If you don't want to start an "argument" or engender discussion and debate, you might consider not posting.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

From BoxOffice.com:

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Just got back, and I thought this movie was wonderful.

17. sojourner

Is it time to start the Superman sequel (casting, rumors, pix till release) thread yet?

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Fantastic movie. Off to the spoilers thread.

19. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

In a word, "No". ;) Give this one more time to ferment. Perhaps after MoS has been out a bit and we have some concrete word on a sequel, then the time would be right. For now... take it easy and enjoy this one.

20. sojourner

^I thought we did have concrete word on a sequel?