Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by DCR, Apr 20, 2013.

1. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

One thing I've noticed is that while there are a lot of TOS-era films in various levels of production that are going so far as to build full-scale bridge (and other) sets, most of the TNG-era films such as Hidden Frontier seem to rely on green-screens rather than physical sets.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a group doing later-era stuff with physical sets or if it's all green-screen work?

2. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Intrepid (24th century) uses physical sets for smaller locations and greenscreen for bigger rooms like the bridge.
    Phoenix (25th century) Has only made one episode so far and hasn't featured the bridge yet but they also seem to be going for a mixture.
    Those are the only ones I can think of right now.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: Renegades will use a combination of sets and greenscreen. IIRC, the hero ship bridge will be redress of Gary Mitchell's ubership from Of Gods and Men.

4. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Starship Phoenix .made an episode a year or two ago. They used both standing sets and some green screen work. You can view it on line.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I can see where recreating a TNG or VOY bridge could be beyond the resources of a fan film. But what about a smaller bridge, like Sisko's Defiant? Would that be more economical as a full scale set? It could likely serve for a variety of less famous ship classes.

6. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I believe that a student project in the UK that was never finished... Star Trek Hyperion, listed as under (BS) here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/210.html (the letter 'numbering' system is not a commentary, it's just a 26 digit numbering system, A is 1, Z is 26, AA is 27, AZ is 52, BA is 53, and BS is 71. Projects numbered after BA, or 53, are on long term hold or abandon. Projects listed as AA to AZ, or 27 to 52, are on short term hold or proceeding very slowly. Projects listed A to Z or 1 through 9, (the 1 through 9 was added due to the large number of current projects) are projects which are under active development which have not been under development for such a long time that I have moved them down to AA to AZ.)

7. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Hyperion's sets were trashed after filming, as far as I know.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

We plan to build a new set for the bridge.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. Can't wait to see it! :techman:

10. oswater

oswater Ensign Red Shirt

We made more of a strange TNG era parody than a strict fan film(thread located: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=202534 ) with a bridge set.
    Video link here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jydQRvd8QVs
    Word of warning, many people found it offensive though.

11. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I'm sorry, but while I'll give you points for the physical set, that's not exactly what I was looking for. I was more wondering if anyone was using an accurate or near-accurate physical representation of any TNG-era bridge sets, and that set was very clearly a parody and not intended to be in any way accurate.

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That's not what you said at the top of the thread, though.

13. USS Intrepid

So far I think the people who would like to build such sets, simply don't have the resources.

14. Picard Alpha

Picard Alpha Commander Red Shirt

15. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Fair enough, though I'd like to think I implied it; especially with the reference to full-scale bridge sets. Worst case, it provided an opportunity for clarification on my part.

That sounds logical, I wouldn't be surprised if the demographic most interested in later eras lack the resources of some of the TOS era fans, and that the sets themselves would be even more expensive.

16. USS Intrepid

I'm not sure the TNG era sets would really be any more expensive to recreate, though I may be wrong.

I'm totally the age bracket that grew up with TOS, but I'm more interested in TNG. I may be the exception rather than the rule though. :)

17. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Nick, there is a clear pattern that people who do not live in the USA who are strong fans generally prefer TNG, while strong fans who live in the USA are more likely to prefer TOS. Now, I live in the US and prefer TNG, so I'm not suggesting this is a hard and fast rule... but there does seem to be a tendency. In spite of it's supposed international crew, TOS has had little appeal abroad. You can even see it in the JJA Trek numbers. Most comic book and space-based Hollywood productions nowadays get MOST of their revenues overseas, while JJA Trek did not.

18. Johnny

Johnny Commander Red Shirt

There's a lot more things on tng-era trek sets that make the physical building of it more of a struggle. If you look at any of the TOS sets, you can almost build the sets in your head, then walk into a room full of 8x4 and build a corridor. The bridge sets are symmetrical, even the turbo lifts are flat panels.

ST1 onwards have a lot more curves, odd angles, cut holes, back-lit sections, etc. Don't even get me started on working a helm console! Unless you're quite skilled at woodwork your looking at money to get it done.

I'm not saying that building a set is easy by any means, just that comparatively STI to TNG and further is more technically complicated.

Skills or money, it's a toss up.

Based on that, I can understand why there's not many tng sets around.

J.

19. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I think it's more of a matter of space than construction. The referenced set would be enormous. We had to choose to put our bridge in a smaller space than we would have liked over budget considerations. We simply couldn't afford a permanent set on a rental property. We looked, we tried, we begged the owners, but no, there was no way we could've afforded it. So we're foregoing a double-carport/garage and outer storage closet while our sets are in place.

20. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I would add that filming in HD would also add to the cost since you can't get away with certain imperfections as you could with standard def.