Terra Nova: Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Trekker4747, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Not sure this series warrants a weekly thread anymore and, really, it's doubtful the series will survive beyond one season.

Anyway, after a two-week hiatus due to the World Series Terra Nova returns Monday night.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Getting ready for the "woosh!"

3. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Man. I don't even have a clue how this gets posted in TNG.

4. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, why is this thread under TNG?

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Fuck, tiredness sucks.

Yeah, can I get an emergency transport here?

6. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was this an episode of Enterprise?

7. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Really intriguing premise... that human kind has screwed up the world that it becomes unhealthy for human habitation and that escaping to the past on a "parallel Earth" is the best way to survive.

But yeah, I don't know what the writers and producers were thinking. The show is just not working. The stories are pedestrian and tired. There are so many echoes of Jurassic Park sub plots and scenarios. What a disaster, especially considering the enormous budget. Who's accountable here?

8. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You are.

The series is a car-crash. What do you have to say for yourself?

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought maybe this was a discussion in context of whether it's good or bad for a new Star Trek series on TV?

Good: it wasn't an insta-flop, leaving open the possibility that a pricey SFX-heavy sci fi series might still be viable on broadcast.

Bad: if a Star Trek show has to be as hokey and vanilla-bland as Terra Nova to survive, it's not worth bothering with.

My quatloos are on gutless network suits, as per usual.

10. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Brannon. Braga.

'Nuff said.

11. Saspearia

Saspearia Lieutenant Red Shirt

I actually really like the show, I like that each episode can serve as a stand-alone story but there is an over-arching plot which is intriguing too. There are also a lot of interesting characters to explore.

I've been quite surprised by the negative reactions to this show. I hope it lasts ;-)

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I agree. I really like the show for the reasons you listed and I hope that it continues.

13. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Steven Spielberg

'Nuff said. ;)

Seiously though, the problems with Terra Nova have to do with the vanilla writing of the family. And really, that's a signature Spielberg problem. Not Braga.

14. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny how Spielberg and Braga are both on board. You'd figure that with all of their accumulated experience and wisdom, this should would be an indisputable hit. But... it clearly isn't.

It does have a lot of good elements and potential. But yeah, I like how you put it--"vanilla writing". It's all been done. I tried watching it again the other night. Barely made it through. It was the "traitor" episode. Interesting premise, but not well written and implemented, IMHO. I can't see this series making it to Season 2.

15. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Remember the show is on a broadcast network. They are going for a vanilla show accessible to the most viewers possible. If you want cutting edge look to cable. As Temis has said many times, the show needs to be targeted to the station it's on. I think Terra Nova has achieved that.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Why is this still in STNG?

17. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Been wondering that myself. Just wading my way through the first episode as I write this.

18. Isis

Isis Commodore Commodore

Me three. What does this thread have to do with TNG?