mobile versions of sites

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I know this should be in tech forums, but I was hoping that, since this forum is visited more frequently, I could get a few responses before the mods move it there.

I' use WordPress for my e-commerce site, but I'm not a professional designer. The site I have looks ok on a desktop, but on a mobile device it looms awkward. Even using mobile plugins that are available on Wordpress don't quite fix the problem. Or they create new problems.

How is is it that I go about creating the mobile version of the site myself, from scratch, not using a plugin. every time I specify this question on Google, all the results suggest a gazillion plugins because, well, I'm using the word "plug in" in the search to specify that I don't want to use a plug-in.

Thanks!

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Bootstrap is pretty much the standard way to make "responsive" sites these days.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

thanks i'll check that out!

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

As far as Google, if you type -plugin and/or -plugins after the main search parameter, it will omit anything with those words.

5. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Pet peeve of mine: sites that detect that I'm on a mobile device and redirect me to the mobile version of the site, but instead of redirecting me to the same article redirect me to the home page.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen now as much as it used to.