Poll: Future of DS9 (unofficial fellow reader/writer opinions)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Mar 30, 2011.

?

Where would you like to see the DS9 Relaunch go from here

1. Return to the post The Soul Key timefram,

21.7%
  2. Continue forward with the Avatar-The Soul Key cast back, filling in the gaps as we go

18.8%
  3. Continue the storyline with a mostly new cast, and occaisional guest appearances by the A-TSK cast a

13.0%
  4. Fill in the gaps novel/trilogy/whatever, then continue forward with A-TSK cast back

18.8%
  5. Fill in the gaps novel/trilogy/whatever, then continue with new cast and occaisional appeareances by

18.8%
  6. no opinion

8.7%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

With all of the stuff going on with DS9 I thought it might be interesting to see where other readers and the writers would like to see the series go. Personally, my choice would be to see a ill in the gaps novel/trilogy/whatever and then continue with the Avatar-The Soul Key cast.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I just want to know what happened with the Ascendants. That was the best buildup I've ever seen in a book series, and it stopped RIGHT BEFORE THE BOOK THAT WOULD PAY IT ALL OFF. Grr.

Other than that, I don't really care, I just want good stories. If they start a series about Sisko on his new ship, and the stories are good, I'll happily read them.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

My bet is for two or more tightly connected DS9 books in 2013, but otherwise one "done-in-one" standalone book per year that may see a gradual progression of characters and events with each release.

4. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see DS9's story move forward from ZSG/RBoE, plus either an anthology or trilogy that fills in the 2377-2382 gap. Occasional appearances by the Aventine and Robinson crews would be cool too. But really whichever direction DS9 goes from here, I'll be reading it regardless.

5. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to see what happened with the Ascendants, but I don't think it has to be told with the timeline returning there (although that's what I voted for). The problem with trying to continue from the current time frame with the old crew is that, well, they're so scattered now it would be difficult and maybe even unnatural to bring them back together I'd think.

6. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Move forward from Typhon Pact, with flashbacks and stories filling in the gap as we go. I think it's the only way if editorial is determined to synch the series to current trek.

I almost hope we see something like VAnguard... start with Captain Ro & Doc Bashir, introduce the new cast & go forward from there. (In fact just like in Avatar!)

7. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

I concur. Ever since reading ZSG I've been wanting to know what DS9's crew is like in 2382. We already know Ro, Bashir and Quark (and Prynn I think?) are there. Now we need to meet the rest of them.

8. popsicle

popsicle Ensign Newbie

I don't even remember what the ascendents were, let alone what happened in the Soul Key. It's been aaaaages. But I dont want them to just drop that storyline. I'd like to see it brought to a satisfying conclusion. Then they can do whatever.

9. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd really like a conclusion to that whole Dominion cliffhanger from however many years ago that was now...

10. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would like the series to pick up where "The Soul Key" left off, and spend at least 3 books moving the Ascendants story forward while also helping to fill in the gaps the lead up to the Destiny timeframe. By reading the other novels, it has become quite clear that the DS9 landscape has changed dramatically (and not necessarily for the better):

*POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW*

- Sisko is no longer in communication with the Prophets, feels lost, and has abandoned pretty much everything in order to return to Starfleet
    - Kira left the station and left her military career to become a Vedek
    - Ro is now the Captain of DS9
    - Bashir is still the station's CMO but apparently has no friends left on the station
    - Ezri is now Captain of the Aventine
    - Bowers is the XO of the Aventine
    - Shar never returns to the station, and ultimately resigns his Starfleet commission
    - Vaughn is critically injured during the Borg invasion and is comatose
    - Prynn remains on DS9 and tends to her father's bed side
    - Nog leaves DS9 to become a tactical/security officer on the Challenger

I'm really not happy with the creative direction taken with Sisko, Kira and Vaughn. Kinda bummed about Nog leaving the station, too. There are so many new gaps to be filled in the crew yet again. Part of me wonders if the books would even be able to capture the magic that the DS9 relaunch series had when it began.

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Pocket ought to approach DS9 the way that they're approaching Vanguard; release a DS9 equivalent to "Declassified" (with novellas/stories that both fill in the gaps between The Soul Key and Destiny and move things forward from RBoE and ZSG) and then go back to the full-length novel format with an ongoing narrative that references and is set after RBoE, ZSG, and the post-Destiny material from the preceding novella/story compilation.

12. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

It took me a while to understand what the choices in the poll really were. Ah, well....

Anyway, I'd prefer a novel/trilogy/whatever basically paying off the Ascendents build-up.

Hey--I guraran-darn-tee you it's going to happen eventually. It took years for Pocket to FINALLY give Diane Duane the go-ahead for the last Rihannsu novel--but they did deliver. And sooner or later, when Pocket gets back in shape...we'll see the conclusion.

A novel or miniseries with Odo and Laas as the new, superior rulers of the Dominion would be great, too. With Odo in particular...I can easily see a new and lasting friendship with the Federation.

Hmm...should help a bit with the Typhon Pact, should the Breen and Tholians start to get pushy....

Now, as to "new cast or old"...really--unless the Ascendents-conclusion introduces some new, superb, dynamic characters to take the reins--unlikely--than I'd say the cow's been milked, and we can go back to the novels' "present" without any complaints.

13. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, first and foremost, I would like to see the DS9 saga move forward. As an avid reader of the original relaunch, I was of course disappointed that storylines such as the Ascendants arc were not brought to fulfillment. But, having jumped forward, I figure we might as well not jump right back again. Some information could, of course, be provided in the form of memories or what have you, but I would like to see the DS9-R gain some momentum and be exciting again. For that to happen, it needs to advance, not retreat.

Secondly, we have seen that most of the original cast of the show, with the exception of Quark, are no longer on the station. I can only guess that this was done for a specific reason, I suppose either to allow the DS9 novels to follow their stories wherever they may lead, or to allow the series to become primarily focused on a mostly new cast of characters, headed by Captain Ro. Personally, I hope it's option one: I do like to see a mix of old and new characters, as was the case in the original relaunch, but I would prefer to see Kira, Sisko, Odo, Bashir and the others remain involved (or most of them in any event).

I do like the idea of seeing them off the station, though, so I'm personally hoping David Mack plans on using Ro (and probably Dax) in his TNG-oriented trilogy, and that DGRIII (or whoever is charged with furthering the DS9 saga) takes Sisko, Kira and the others off on adventures elsewhere, perhaps on Cardassia, as the potential is virtually limitless in that direction. And a story of that kind would inevitably lead to appearances by Garak :)

14. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

I would like an omnibus of stories to fill in the gaps. It doesn't have to be full blown novels to explain what happend. I want to know what happend with Odo, what happend after Taran'atar recieved the distress call from The Even Odds, etc...

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thinking this over some more, and reading the other posts on here, have made me change my mind about this. The more I think about it the more I realize that trying to bring back all of the first relaunch cast probably wouldn't work. It probably would be best for the series to continue forward with new characters, and maybe have the others pop up in supporting roles occasionally. I have faith in that authors and editors will be able to come up with new characters just as interesting as the old ones.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I want Sisko in a wife-beater hitting the bars with the occasional drunken vid-call to his daughter saying "You know you are better off without me" - apart from that I'm easy.

17. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

Do a trilogy to fill the gap between the relaunch and Destiny, then stick a fork in the series. With the cast scattered like it is, I'd rather have books focusing on individual characters and their post-DS9 lives.

18. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Based on Sisko's last appearance it wouldn't shock me to see this some day.

19. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm only in the middle of Rough Beasts of Empire, but at this stage, I could very conceivably envision characters such as Sisko, Kira, and the DS9 characters aboard Aventine (Dax, Bowers, Leishman, and Dr. Tarses) showing up in future DS9 stories as supporting characters, much like the way that Janeway, Seven, and The Doctor showed up in the pre-Full Circle Voyager relaunch novels, which means that if you keep Quark, Ro, and Julian as main characters, you're only dealing with introducing between 5 or 6 new characters, which is only between 1 to 2 more new characters than were introduced in Avatar (4).

20. elaithin

elaithin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like to see a mix-and-match of the 'fresh start' and 'returning crew'

Captain Ro Laren - okay, cool. I like this.

First Officer - Sam Lavelle? Maybe even play with some of the material from the TNG DW books involving him an Ro. Or even better - Thomas Riker!

CMO - Bashir, of course.

Security Chief - Lt. Commander Nog, returned from the Challenger. Quark would still be around, and it would be a fun counterpoint to have Nog filling Odo's shoes.

Ops - Chief O'Brien finally returns.

Sciences - Mixed. I'm not sure if I want Shar back, or someone new. Leaning towards someone new.

After that, a couple other new characters to fill things out wouldn't be bad. Aventine could come by for missions periodically, as could the Robinson, depending on how that story goes.