Star Trek Movie Adaptation #6 - Shatner deleted scene?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by jefferiestubes8, May 21, 2010.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"Countdown" has already been single issues, a trade paperback omnibus and a hardcover reprint. The "Nero" and "Spock Reflections" mini-series have also already come out as separate trade collections. The "Wired" story hasn't been included anywhere as a reprint, but maybe "Wired" likes the idea of it being exclusive to them?

2. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I guess I just like the idea of nice, big, hardbound compilations.

As for the Wired magazine thing, it was run once in a monthly magazine that might not have gotten that much exposure and there's quite a bit of precedent for stories that ran in magazines to be in later compilations. The exploits of a certain detective ancestor of Mr. Spock comes to mind, for instance.

3. Therin of Andor

Such as?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Didn't you see the last sentence of Milo's post? He's referring to Sherlock Holmes. Indeed, a great deal of fiction from that time was originally published in magazines, such as the novels of Charles Dickens, which were originally serials (making their novel editions the equivalent of the modern comics trade paperback).

5. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Things being previously released multiple times has never stopped IDW before!

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That's their business model!

A monster hardcover would be nice, come to think of it. Countdown, then Nero, then the movie adaptation. (Spock: Reflections is less necessary.) I'd be down with that.

7. Therin of Andor

Did Milo add that bit after I posted? I don't recall seeing it.

8. Christopher

His post doesn't say it's been edited. Perhaps you didn't recognize the significance of the "certain ancestor of Mr. Spock" line. He's referring to the bit in TUC where Spock quotes Holmes' motto about eliminating the impossible and attributes it to an ancestor of his (though I choose to take that as a reference to Conan Doyle being his ancestor, since Holmes is clearly a fictional character within the Trekverse).

9. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Aye. Spock's line works either way really, for me.

And I suppose I could count on the habit of publishers to re-release stuff like this. I'm just about done collecting the Dark Horse's TPB's of the old Star Wars Marvel comics, and now they start new omnibuses with more material.

10. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

At least Dark Horse puts old, out-of-print (or never-even-collected) stuff in their Omnibi. IDW collects stuff that's still in print!

11. Therin of Andor

All posters have about five minutes to edit a post without the need to identify it's been edited. The time lag is longer than that so I guess I started answering before reading the whole paragraph.

Yeah, and Tellarites might fly. OF COURSE I know who Sherlock Holmes is.

12. Christopher

^Gee, don't get so defensive. I was just trying to figure out why you might have missed his allusion.

13. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

That deleted scene doesn't make a lot of sense. Kirk Prime is congratulating Spock Prime on being appointed ambassador....but Spock Prime was never an ambassador within Kirk Prime's lifetime.

14. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Though never mentioned on screen, it's generally assumed (and supported in various novels), that Spock retired from Starfleet at the same time as Kirk, and became an ambassador shortly thereafter. Some folks point to the activities Spock conducted prior to the events of Star Trek VI as the beginnings of his post-Starfleet diplomatic career.

15. Christopher

Dayton's right. There are at least several months between the end of TUC and the start of GEN, and Spock isn't seen in GEN, so it is possible Spock could've begun his formal diplomatic career in the interim.

16. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because Nimoy's appearence didn't?

The whole point of that scene was to have the old guard "wink" at the audience one last time, while TOS was being revamped... It'd have been the perfect finale for the movie, and a good "apology" from TPTB that allowed Kirk's death in GEN in the first place.

Alas, it wasn't to be... Too bad.